150x40 2011 Mako review?

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

Hi, I’m upgrading my 2009 140x40 (loved) and would like some report about the new MAko 2011. This would be my board for strong wind and onshre waves form 1,5m up to 3m (for easier conditions I’ve a surfboard and a freestyle tt but I rely on Mako or something similar when conditions are strong). I’ve already tested a 2009 150x40 of a buddy and I like in this strong situation but wondering how the new woodcore and more the 3 fins would change (and improve). Does the 3 fins improve the surf feeling? The tip is as stiff as 2009 bord o more flexy?

PS: I’ve already seen the short Jeremie’s review http://jeremietronet.com/blog/archives/639 but would like some opinions about the new 150x40 in waves and chop

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

You will not notice a significant difference with the wood core, the concave of the board makes the Makos a fairly stiff board as it is, foam or wood core.

The new mutant stance option on both the 140 and 150 will give you a more “surf” feel as you will end up riding more fin and less rail, though will still be able to point and go backwards if you need to.

Hope this helps!

John

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

hi , thank for the reply, for more review I guess the production boards are not out yet?

the concave, rocker, and the shape is absolutely the same in 2009-2010-2011 (I’ve tested the 2009 and is fantastic board!) or there are little differences?

in the twintip setup (centered) there are alwais the 2 stance options (wider or not)?

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Poldo,

The shape for the 2011 Makos has not changed from years previous, same outline, rocker and concave as years gone by. The rails on the 2011 Mako are slightly thinner than last year but for all intents and purposes the boards are almost identical. The wood core does not affect the ride. What the wood offers is a much better (porous) surface for the epoxy to bond to and hence, will lead to a more robust and longer lasting board.

We have wanted to use wood in the core of the Makos for years but the technology was not available to allow us to do so. The Mako’s evolution from early prototypes and a limited “Blue Shark” sample run in 2003, to the first production boards in 2005, to the break through that allowed us to introduce the “wide” Makos in 2007, to the 2011 wood core versions of the board have all relied on a fantastic working relationship with our manufacturer and a constant refinement of our construction techniques as technology and know how have improved. When we first approached them to build a board with such a radical design there were a lot of questions and concerns to work out! 

The 2011 Mako King, 150 and 140 all feature mutant and regular stance options and - yes - in both stances there are wide and a narrow options for stance width.

John Z - OR

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

hi John, thanks again for explanations!

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Yeah thanks John for the thoughtful reply.
I can say that still have the original 150 Mako Classic (2006) and the original 150 Mako Wide (2007) and I am still just as stoked about these boards. So when you say that their are mainly changes in materials what that says to me is that OR really nailed the Mako concept nearly from the start.

Mako love all around.

Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide