2011 Surf Series Directional Board 5’11”

Total Posts: 573

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

OK. I need a new ride. Right now I’m looking at all the Mako boards but would like to hear from riders on the benefits of this directional surf board over say the Mako King or other brand directionals?

I’d like to hear from riders as to this boards’ overall performance in particular it’s lighter wind capabilities, compared to the king for example. I am aware that the previous OR directional - the Mako Surf was not a light wind board and required plenty of kite power to make it work. Is it the same with this new design?

I have little experience on directional boards (I’ve never surfed and have spent most of my kiting trying to learn freestyle stuff.) but want to develop this style of riding now that I have found a good wave spot locally.

My weight is around 65kg and I want to use the board with the 8m Razor.

Hope someone here can give me their thoughts in due course.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Yeah,

get this post started!

Cant recomend getting a surfboard enough.  I’m die hard boots, but actually ride strapless more than 50% of the time and enjoy the TT so much more in appropriate conditions.

The surfboard and TT are a complete two board quiver, and can bridge nicely between kites that are a couple meters dif in size.  Whats more strapless riding is fantastic fun and breathes life into the kind of waves we get here on the great lakes.

If you dont have a surfboard, you need one!

Interested to hear what people think of the OR surfboard.  You guys have never really rested on your laurels and when something needs improvement you are pretty much on it.  Case in point with this board.  The first one was a sexy shape that was fun powered up, but the industry is waking a sleeping giant by opening up the minds of surfers to the huge potential of kites with full blown surfboards.  Not directionals but tough built paddle able surfboards.  Would love to hear from both the company and the crew on whats up with this board.

Looking down the line I hope there are plans to expand the line up to include a small wave monster.  The low end potential of modern fish shapes is a nice fit for many and a trend that will blow up in less than surfing locals.  The current shape looks very nice and I’m stoked you guys are rolling in this direction.

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

I’ve had one of two original protos of the production 5’11 for close to a year now and I can’t say enough about this board. The specs for the production board came from my experiences with the 6’0 CSS custom, which I also rode for a year. Essentially, it is a thinned out epoxy/wood sandwich version of this board with slightly smaller overall dimensions.

The board is fantastic on a real wave, yet the rocker works well for ” average ” onshore/river/wind swell ” type stuff as well, and the volume is just right to work in a wide range of wind conditions. At 155 lbs I can get upwind in 15mph with an 8m Razor, yet I’m not out of control in side off head high 25+ conditions either. Taking 1/4” of thickness out of the 6’0 CSS was the trick here. I would say the ideal rider weight for the board is 180 to 200 lbs, but there are of course so many variables to consider. Durability has been outstanding - lots of demos, and several plane trips just tossed into a day bag with no additional padding.

Here’s how she looks one year later:

Outline, rocker and fins are the main determinates of light wind performance. Adding volume mainly allows you to plane a little slower, but a fat board with thick rails is no bueno on a wave face…...

Comparing to a King or any twin tip style of board is silly - apples to oranges. Both great, but most often people prefer one over the other because they are so different. Comparing it to the notorious Mako Surf is even sillier…..smile

Get a 5’11, you’ll be stoked for sure.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2007-08-14

PM

Whats the rocker and concave like on the new surf?

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Any further rider reviews?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Andy, there are only two in the world right now….....so reviews are limited…...we are expecting them to arrive soon though.smile

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Received and understood. On the basis of what I’ve heard so far I’ll put my order in. Then I can be one of those giving a revue…‘A Rookies Wave Revue.’ Watch this space!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2010-11-23

PM

6 months hence.  Any further reviews on the 2011 surf series?

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I did buy one Christmas time but the weather conditions (wind) has been awful so have not been able to do it justice as of yet. Will definately post my limited experience of wave riding just as soon as I get out on it. What I will say however, is that the board is very light, will probably have good light wind characteristics and has a quality deck pad.

Someone else will no doubt chime in here?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2010-11-23

PM

Thanks Andy, looking forward to any other perspectives, and your future reviews

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I finally found a day that suited me trying out my OR 5’11” SS board. Been too pre occupied with the 8m Razor (which has completely blown me away) and trying freestyle stuff of late. Chewton Bunny has some fine wave sets with flat and shallow water in between - not to mention a bit of a lunar landscape with the nearby clay cliffs. So a perfect place for my first outing on a surfboard.

I’m a novice here so don’t expect a whole heap of a review as I have not really had anything to compare it with in the past. The board felt light under foot and I felt at ease with it fairly quickly. It was easy to ride in the choppy stuff and sat nice on the wave making me grin from ear to ear. I got to do some nice carving and ripped up wind out the back prior to hitting the beach waves and shallows. I’m hoping for more of the same tomorrow and feel sure that I’m going to love this new found style of riding.

One day I may even venture into the strapless world!

Anybody else want to post their perspective?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

can’t comment on the OR waveboard but i bet it will be fine.

I ride a Naish Global wave 5.7 and I love it, together with my 6 and 8 Rise : heaven.

I prefer riding a waveboard over my TT, travelling preferable with the waveboard, paying extra for the board? no prob, I just don’t leave home without it.. wink

I’m no wave star, just loving it.

Don’t see the urge for riding strapless. Most of the time I don’t use the backstrap and sometimes the front foot is also beside the strap.. but taking them off?.. then I can’t boost so now and then or make a nice backroll.. (I know there are chaps who can do them without straps..)

What I can recommend is the Jay Dynabar sliding hook, offers a lot of freedom. I use the latest version with the waveslider on my seat harness. If you love to ride a waveboard try the spreader from Jay. (I think it will fit nicely on the OR harness)

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Lovin’ this board and turning into a right Laird Hamilton! Anyone else riding one?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

I keep breaking my stick too much to justify one!

got a finbox repair to contend with at the weekend :( dont know where to start!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Is anyone unhappy with this board?

Any experience with it compared to say, a Slingshot Tyrant?

Did anyone else demo it, besides the posters above?

Have you just surfed it?

Thanks very much.