2010 bar linekeeper replacement

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

A linekeeper bungee snapped on me last week on one of my 2010 bars and the others are starting to show some wear.  Anyone else come across this and successfully replaced them?

I’m planning to dig out anything i can from what is still attached in the holes they come out of, buying some matching small bungee cord, tie a knot on both ends of a length of it, jamming the knotted ends into the holes, and gluing in place with aquaseal. 

Can anyone think of a better solution before i get started?

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

I just use a fat rubber band, like that are on bunches of brocoli in the supermarket.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

THose and the donkey dick are the first things I have taken off of every bar to date.  They look pretty low profile on the new bar (retractable!) so I imagine I’ll leave em, but they are not exactly necessary.  Just wind your lines with a bit of tension and finish with a half hitch over the bar end.  Old school (less like toby, more like lou!)

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Guys,
thanks for posting this. There is a way to replace the line bungee but it will leave some scar tissue on the bar end padding.

This image shows how the bungee runs through a small tube that lives under the seam between the inside (soft) and outside (harder) padding. The outer padding is made sexy see thru here:

This is how you can excavate the small pvc tube and access the bungee. I used a drill to get in there. you need to do this on both sides.:

There is a hole in the black nylon part where the bungee is also fed through.
To get the bungee in will take patience and a steady hand. A steady supply of cold beers will enhance the required surgical precision.
To close the hole off you can use some general purpose glue, can’t tell you any brands or types as that will vary per country, try to get the stuff used for repairing shoes, leather, rubber and those sort of things.

Shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes per bar end.
Or man up and go like Brent!

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Will we see a change in material for this?  A local rider was moaning about this to me the other week and showed me that both his bungees were frayed and looked on the point of snapping on his 2010 bar.  In contrast, the bungees that I have on my older bars (going back to 2007) show absolutely no sign of wear and tear.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Vpas, the first line bungees were a bit thin, there has been an improved quality with better stretch but I can’t tell you when these were installed in production bars.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah those bungees broke after like 3 sessions for me.