2011 Rise 15m

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2010-05-21

PM

Anybody ridden the new Rise 15m 4 strut kite yet?

Signature

All I need are some tasy waves, a cool buzz and I’m fine…Jeff Spicoli

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

No, but I’d like to.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

me too I’m quite interested in this kite. Here in North Italy there are (unfortunately) a lot of very light wind days in the summer, and big kites are going well (Zephir and others similar). How much is the kite weight?  the feeling is of a grunty kite (like Kahoonas) or a kite that fly fast forward with light pull (like Ozone)? Is it good to try (learn) unhooked stuff in 12-13 kts (for 70 kg rider)? thanks for any info!

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2009-08-11

PM

So, nobody ridden the new 15m Rise. It is not good or what. What wind range it is made for?  It is better then Ozone Zephry 2011?
tnx for info

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2010-12-11

PM

I have been trying to get information on when the 15m will be available for 3 months. I was originally told they would be coming out in late Nov or early December. I am not sure what the problem is but it sure would be nice if OR would let us in on the secret.

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Guys, as external design engineer I’m let in on quite some stuff, though unfortunately OR R&D usually goes no further than a “need to know” basis with me.
But I had Ross on the phone a while ago and he he said he had been out riding with, in his words, “some pretty exciting stuff”. I checked the Victoria BC windstats for that day and there wasn’t much wind at all, 8ish if I remember well.
My take is they’re finetuning the kites and getting them ready to roll pretty soon.

Joined 2010-12-11

PM

thanks for your insight.

When you say fine tuning, does that mean the kites have been produced and OR is refining the bridals, etc. or does that mean, we like it, now lets go into production? Given you are looking into your crystal ball, would the kites be available?

thanks
Tom

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

El Rudo - 01 February 2011 08:24 AM

Guys, as external design engineer I’m let in on quite some stuff, though unfortunately OR R&D usually goes no further than a “need to know” basis with me.

Everyone knows you can’t trust the Dutch!

Here are some photos of the new 15m in flight. The kites will be available from HK and Canada as of the middle to late weeks of March. We are aware this took longer than expected and are sorry for the delay but the kite flies beautifully.

Note, the colours are an intentional mashup of the 2011 Rise and Razor (Raze? Riser?) kite designs as that is exactly what this kite is. It is a hybrid of the two kite designs focused on generating good power for its size and still remaining responsive and nimble, in spite of that size. 4 Strut design with a focus on minimal extra weight.

Order ‘em now! The 1st PO is almost entirely pre-sold!

John Z

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

| oh hell yeah I can’t be trusted, yet I do remember being taken out into Victorian BCian Night life by JZ and Kmac | I still don’t know were they went after no more than 30 minutes | Some ladies went missing around that same hour I recall |

BUT these pictures are amazing! Do I see the vent slots moved forward noticeably? I was hoping so, with lower wind speeds they should work well there. Deeper profile, that thing looks like TONS OF PULL!!!

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Lol, I’ll take you on the town any time Rudo!

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

I have a few hours of water time on the new 15m light wind Rise.
Riding in about 10 to 12knots on my race board I was “lit up”.
Unlike older big kites that tend to feel sluggish through a turn, this kite can be snapped around. Also very easy to water relaunch if you have enough breeze.
(similar relaunch to the Razor).

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

johnz - 01 February 2011 06:45 PM

Lol, I’ll take you on the town any time Rudo!

I’ll bring taxi fare

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Timmer, are you in SF? Rise 15M LW demo on it’s way to Windydevil this week!

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2010-05-21

PM

Hey Evan, no back home on Oahu. Maybe 4 or 5 kiteable days in the last 2 months.

Signature

All I need are some tasy waves, a cool buzz and I’m fine…Jeff Spicoli

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I       need     that       kite.

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Timmer - 02 February 2011 02:31 AM

Hey Evan, no back home on Oahu. Maybe 4 or 5 kiteable days in the last 2 months.

I know how that can you go - I spent a few winters in Kailua. Do you know John Weston? He’s anxiously waiting on one of these 15’s.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

craig myers - 02 February 2011 04:47 AM

I       need     that       kite.

Sold - your order’s on the books Craig…...smile

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-07-17

PM

I wonder what is the estimate wind range for this kite.

Can someone tell enything about it?

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Flip, we intentionally do not put out wind range charts because they are notoriously inaccurate. For example, I could tell you this kite is good from 6 knots (on a surf board, at 110lbs, very experienced kiter) to 30 knots (on a TT, at 250lbs, very experienced rider).

The kite performs beautifully in light winds, whatever you make those out to be. Further, it is a large kite for people who prefer large kites in light winds, whereas some - myself included - would prefer a surfboard or skim board and a 10m.

As always, the effective wind range of the kite depends on your weight, your ability, the board you are on, the water conditions and tide conditions… !

JZ

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I     need   that   kite!

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-07-17

PM

John,

The differences are obvious but consider a virtual kiteboarder, say… 80kg on twin tip 132 JT pro

with windrange created fot this virtual kiteboarder every rider could estimate his windrange.

For me windrange is a guideline not solid reference.

Filipesko

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Here are the colour ways for the kite. Watch this thread for a full review on the kite from the Windy Devil guys who just took the kite out head to head with an Ozone 17m and loved it!

JZ

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

johnz - 11 February 2011 11:05 PM

Watch this thread for a full review on the kite from the Windy Devil guys who just took the kite out head to head with an Ozone 17m and loved it!

Now that’s one I’ll look forward to! Hopefully they perform as good as they look.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-09-04

PM

im in for the boundary bay light wind days

Signature

I love to Kiteboard

Joined 2010-12-11

PM

Mr wizard,
When can the people expect to see this kite?? I have my order in but there has been way to many days that I found myself wishing it was in my quiver.

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

We have confirmation that the 15ms will leave HK end of March for delivery to us in early April. If you have one on order for delivery from here it should arrive by around mid to late April. If you have one on order with one of our importers you might even see it sooner as our ex-factory shipments to our importers are usually sent about a week ahead of our own deliveries!

Evan should be posting here soon with some feedback, he and the Windy Devil crew have been using the 1x final sample version of the kite for about 2 weeks now.

Joined 2009-08-11

PM

So, the kite is here.
You test it?
So I wonder how is the kite going upwind, downwind.
Can you relaunch it in sub 10knt winds!
I believe that the kite is great and .... But before I bought it I need to know.

Some video of testing the 15 LW will be great too.

The good by OR is 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.

And compared to Ozone 17 is ....

Cheers

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

Any word from Windy Devil as to when we might see that review/comparison?

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

Man, all this waiting for the perfect LW kite is killing me man!
I’ve been trying another brand and after 3 sessions I’ve decided this is not what I want, even though it is a very good kite.
Bar pressure is too high and the bar itself is just a round stick, its tough on my hands and forearms.
In gusty conditions the bar wriggles around as the wing tips adjust.
The smoothness of the venturi system is gone so there are surges in traction, doesn’t charge down the line as well… blah blah blah.
Lets hope that ship from HK has a swift and safe journey…c’mon 15 LW!!!

Signature

experience the stoke

http://www.kitepaddlesurf.com/

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

SOOOOOO….anybody actually have this kite???? Any thoughts??

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

zh4k - 17 April 2011 02:15 PM

SOOOOOO….anybody actually have this kite???? Any thoughts??

We haven’t received the first production run of these kites yet but we do expect them shortly - we’ll be turning them around and firing them out to our retailers ASAP. I recommend you contact your preferred shop to lock yours down as we’ve almost completely pre-sold the first batch of these!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2008-04-02

PM

john where are they. if you are in priso bring mine and i will have someone pick up i have already paid to captain kirks getting impatient. dock ( fred tisue)

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Golden Gate Bridge San Francisco 4//19/2011 Ocean Rodeo 15LW

Photobucket

Joined 2009-08-11

PM

Nice. But we want more. More pictures, video and reports.
Cheers

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2009-08-03

PM

I got no pictures. I was at Gruner Brink (Fehmarn Germany) yesterday. The wind was doing something between 9 and 12 knots.
So i pumped up my Rise 15LW.  I just had a small board. And it was easy to gain altitude with my 80 kilos.
I Like the kite because it doesn’t feel like a big kite.  It feels pretty much the same as my Rise 10m.

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

how’s the upwind, is this a high aspect kite?

Joined 2009-08-03

PM

The upwind is perfect. Only bigger flysurfers were doing better. But these kite are real slow. We call them John Deers.

I don’t know what you mean with ” high aspect kite”

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

Generally the higher aspect a kite is the better upwind performance there is, thus it must be medium to high aspect kite…..The razors have low aspect which allows you to kite with a smaller kite.

If you get to test the 15m in light gusty conditions I’d like to know how it handles lulls if directly overhead….Does it drift back during a lull or drop leading edge first?

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Aspect Ratio = (Jitze: lengte/breedte verhouding) width of a wing divided by its chord. A flysurfer has a high AR, (divide something big by something small), whereas a Wainman kite has a low AR.
In general, with a higher AR, more lift can be expected from a wing/sail/kite, but there are many more design elements that build the final performance.
Ocean Rodeo’s Venturi tech brings some high AR properties to lower AR kites (less prone to back stalling, good upwind, lots of lift).

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

that’s interesting the venturi system can do that to low AR kites…...I want what a delta kite would do with such tech

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Yeah “Delta”, imho a marketing name for a kite with tapered wing tips from a more or less continuously curved LE. Look at the Bandit 4 to see how the pointy tips evolve to much fatter, angled tips…
After all, there isn’t a lot wrong with the Rise and Razor shape wink

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

There was no wind at all today in Seattle, so I just took it out of the bag to take a peek
at the best kite ocean rodeo has ever built.
I like the reflective silver printing you guys…this is rad!

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2009-10-10

PM

Looks like the silver on my old 2006 Best Waroo 14 m…........which has just been replaced effectively as soon I get this new kite.

JD

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

please weigh it (kite only). thanks!

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I will post pics soon,
bath scale seems to put it between 9-9.5 lbs kite only.
cheers!

Joined 2009-08-11

PM

hi,  another important point to discuss; the relaunch ability -  very light winds 8 - 10 Knots!!??
Cheers

Joined 2009-08-03

PM

Today at 9knots no problem at all to relaunch in 9 knots.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

1st impressions while settting it up for a couple photo’s.
Seems too small to be a 15m.
Where is the rest of the kite man?
Then I rotated it in the yard so the 2-4 mph breeze filled the canopy.
Holy crud man, every square centimeter of this kite wants to jump into the air and race to the edge!
I can’t wait to fly this thing for real!

Super clean construction and really beefy construction on the tips where the kite rolls during self launches.
I like the slim TE battens between the struts and the way the whole outer canopy is super smooth.
All we need now is wind!

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Hey looks like you’re having to hold on tight there Craig. Is it really such a good light wind beast or could it be something to do with the updraft from that fast jet that just flew over your back yard?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2009-08-11

PM

Hey,is there no wind to kite with 15LW!! Or to busy with kiting.smile

Joined 2009-08-11

PM

Which bar for the rise 15LW. 2011 Freeride SLE bar or ”mini 5th” 2011 Freestyle SLE bar and lines. How does “mini 5th” work.
Cheers

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Joined 2009-08-11

PM

Nice ride in 8-10 knots.

What about Rise 15LW and fusion bar?

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Holy cow a bunga this kite is a blast in 15-20!
Focusing on just the lite wind aspect of this kite misses the fact that this is a kite with a lot of range
that is super smooth and easy to fly when its powered up. I can easily go from this to my 10m razor
with a good amount of overlap.
I have not tried that new fusion bar yet.

http://youtu.be/8BwQZvpHK3g?hd=1

Joined 2009-08-11

PM

So the range of 15LWis from 8 to 20knots! Great smile
Can someone tell me which bar would be better: FREERIDE OR NEW FUSION bar; for low wind kiting, relaunch from watter,...
I need to order the 15lw, so need to know which one.
Cheers

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

keep the updates coming craig…..i’m digging the music ya use

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2007-07-09

PM

FROM THE SPRING DEMO TOUR:

Yesterday at Blemont I arrived just when the wind became rideable.  Evan was there with three kites pumped up ready to go and a full board quiver lined up.  I was out on the water in 10 with the 5’11” surf series and the new 15 LW.  It is a real good kite!  Turns well, flys light and even in the dissapointingly light wind I could not back stall it. 

Looking back at the wind graph for the time I was out there the wind was averaging 12-14mph.  During that time I was making it upwind with little effort.  There were some long lulls though, but the kite was easy to keep in the air.  This is noteable.

Sorry, no beta on realaunch.  I did not put the kite down in the water. 

This was the first time with the newer OR bar for me.  It really fells nice in the grip and a very clean system.

Thanks for meeting the needs of riders who want to have a kite over their head, even if the wind is not going off.

Signature

2007 Rise 14M, 12M, 10M.  2011 Rise 8M, 6M.
2011 Razors 12M, 10M, 8M
Pyro Pro

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Graig! You seem to enjoy looping that big kite don’t ya. Cool vid man.

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

Craig, I’ve got a 2009 14m Rise.  I was wondering if you’ve flown that in the past and could compare bottom/top ends and overall feel?

Thanks.

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Graig,
Looks like a fast turner the 15!
What depower rope are you using? it looks green on the vid

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

This is an exciting kite to fly you guys.
I hope you get a chance to try one because getting more power out of a smaller-faster kite is really cool.
I have owned an 09’ 14m Rise and this kite has great low end for sure.
The new Rise departs from that shape and feels more like a Razor for low end.
In other words it seems to hook into that apparent wind as you gather board speed
and once you are on a plane you are golden. Its not a big bag, this is a highly refined foil
that has a lively feel and fast speed through the wind window…but saying it turns as fast as a 10m is kinda stretching it in lite winds.
But once you get it powered up in winds beyond its low end, it really can turn fast for a big kite!
The bar pressure is lighter than the 09’ for sure too, which is great for long hard sessions.

That green depower line is my personal replacement for the stock line.
Its coated spectra developed for fishing boats and resists abrasion from the cleating about 50% more that the stock line.
Its called amsteel.

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thx Graig,
What size of rope?
Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/63532-amsteel-blue-dyneema-sk-75-single-braid-3-16-braid-5400lb-breaking-strength-green.html

There is a West Marine store real close to me, thats where I picked it up.
The 3/8” line is good fit for the hardware on the SLE bar.
You need some sailor skills and a fid to put that safety leash ring on one end, otherwise its pretty simple to replace.
I’ve done grey, red and now green.
Next one is going to be blue!

cheers!

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thx Graig!
I bet you know exact how much meters you need for the 2011 SLE depower rope.. want to share? or do I have to measure it myself? wink
Looks like I got to try black then..

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

2 meters is cutting it close, 2.5 would give you some room for error.
I buy 8 feet and have some waste, but that extra bit makes it easier to tune.
(this is for the 2010 and older bars)

I think I like black, never thought of that one before!

Its starting to look like a thermal wind is going to kick in this afternoon,
I can’t wait to fly this kite again. I’ll get my gopro out and hopefully get some good footage.

cheers!

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2007-07-11

PM

epref - 08 May 2011 05:15 PM

Can someone tell me which bar would be better: FREERIDE OR NEW FUSION bar; for low wind kiting, relaunch from watter,...
Cheers

I have had the 15 LW out into the upper 20’s with gusts into the low 30’s and the kite was able to deal with this upper wind range very well.  Of the LW kites I have tried, I’d say this kite has the highest upper wind range of any of them.

Andy
http://www.kitepaddlesurf.com

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

epref - 08 May 2011 05:15 PM

Cheers

I’m not sure which style of bar would be better for you,
but I think the larger size is the best call for maximum turning speed in the low end of the power range.

Bellingham riders go out in crazy conditions man…gusts to 30!!!!
Holy cow that is a lot of wind for a 15m man!
8-20 is a good point of reference for a rider my size 210lbs.
If you get caught in a squall or the wind picks up you will still have excellent control to make it in safely IMO.

Joined 2009-08-11

PM

HI, tnx to all.
Can’t wait to get it.
Cheers.

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thx Graig,
But.. I was talking about the 2011 setup.. looks like I got to measure myself.. or someone from OR should tell us how much rope we need for the 2011 depower rope..

Joined 2009-08-11

PM

Great kite. I ride it in 10-14knt. Gusts to 20knt no problem at all.
Cheers

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

Finally got to try the 15m and wow….this thing turns so fast and boosts way better than my 13m 2010 rise…....the relaunch seems better….and the boosting seems way better