2009 8M constantly migrates/creeps to the right in flight

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-09-16

PM

My 2009 8M rise constantly and slowly creeps to the right at all times. It also has a tendency to turn more quickly in that direction. I have measured my lines, bridles, and even kite fabric panels to see if there is a problem and can find no discrepancy from one side to the other. I did find the elastic line guards to be tight on one side and removed them but found it made no difference. The kite otherwise is a blast and really my all time favorite kite in 25-35kts. It is however becoming a real drag to have to apply constant correction to one side of the bar and not be able to just relax and have fun. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe the bridle measurement list for 2009 8M Rise would be a good place to start over.

Reuben M
Victoria BC
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Reuben,
Check the venturi flaps, these are sewn to the canopy at 25-30 cm intervals. If one of these short seams is loose, your kite will behave exactly like you describe.

Joined 2008-09-16

PM

Great response. I will check the venturi flaps and let you know.

thanks,

Reuben

Joined 2008-09-16

PM

Damn, checked veturis flaps and all look perfect. any other ideas ?

Reuben

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Just a thought . Did you check you lines when attached to the bar. If yes ignore this. If no it would be worth checking . Depower at full power. Bar against the chicken loop All lines at the other end should be the same.
Try another bar to rule it out.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Pump your kite up alot firmer, i bet it is just underinflated. do not be afraid, the leading edge should ping!

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

reubenm - 24 December 2010 04:17 PM

Damn, checked veturis flaps and all look perfect. any other ideas ?

Reuben

It has to be lines/bridles then. Do the pulleys all roll smoothly? Check, re-check all lines under considerable tension, > 25kgf.

Joined 2008-09-16

PM

I had a good day out Christmas eve in 25-35kts. Same problem. I had to constantly hold pressure in on one side of the bar to keep it from migrating. Yes I have measured and checked the lines for length, and bridles also are the same side to side. I did notice that with the kite overhead one side of the kite had a significant trailing edge flutter that the other side did not. It is my thought that this slack in fabric is causing increased drag on the one side and turning the kite to that side. Just another note I use the same bar and lines on other kites with no issues at all and have for some time. Also when steering lines are out this does not usually cause the kite to turn faster or slower it just makes your bar crooked. I will try to inflate the kite more. Keep the good ideas coming.

Thanks.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2010-10-08

PM

I have the same effect on my 2010 12m Rise. I am at a loss to what it could be. If anybody finds the solution, let us know.

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Here’s a new thought - what about some sand or something else abnornal in the end of the left - side Leading Edge pocket, making that side of the kite heavier and creating a turning moment on the kite ?

If you have ever flown a water-relaunchable foil kite that’s been on the water for a while and got some water inside the kite, once you re-launch, even a small amount of water moving down to the wingtip creates a strong turning tendancy in the kite until that water drains out.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca