GoPro on OR Rise Strut?

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Ok, I’ve got the wrist mount for the GoPro HD, and I’ve seen where you can mount it to a strut or leading edge on the kite. However, I can’t find any separation between the struts and the canopy to loop the wrist mount through, any suggestions on a safe way to do this without screwing up my kite?

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Jim Stringfellow sells a great little product he calls the Line Mount - you can find it here: http://kitehero.com/

He’s a local (to the Pacific NW) kiter and a fantastic guy so feel good about sending him some business! He also sells other mounts on the same site but the Line Mount is one product you will have already seen the results of in many other Go Pro shot films.

John Z - OR

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2009-10-04

PM

Hey thanks John for the kind words!
While I have yet to try the new wrist housing, I have mounted velcro straps on my center strut.  I’m unsure of how the construction is on the OR center strut systems, but most kites I have come across will have a section just adjacent to the connection point to the leading edge where it is not sewn to the canopy.  This is the safest place to mount your strap.  I’d suggest fitting it around and pushing it as far away from the leading edge of the strut as possible.  Keep in mind that if you drop your kite there is a risk that the camera can move, or even disconnect from your kite.  Highly unlikely that it will come off, but something to consider when attaching to your center strut. I have yet to lose a camera while attaching to the kite strut, however I have had it move when I have dropped the kite.
It is a cool perspective especially when walking to the water with the kites and beach in the shot.
This shot was taken with 32 meter lines this past summer in seattle.

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Cool, I’ll check it on the Rise.

I really want to get the line mount, one question about it:

If the kite inverts and the outside lines are inside the inside lines, will the GoPro line mount cause any issues? I dont think it would, since the few times I have done this the outside lines are inside the inside lines further up from the swivel.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2009-10-04

PM

ajones - 25 January 2011 10:44 PM

Cool, I’ll check it on the Rise.

I really want to get the line mount, one question about it:

If the kite inverts and the outside lines are inside the inside lines, will the GoPro line mount cause any issues? I dont think it would, since the few times I have done this the outside lines are inside the inside lines further up from the swivel.

That is a good question.
First of all, when I use the kite line mount, I understand that when I introduce anything foreign to my kite lines, I could potentially put myself at risk.  this means I may change up my riding style slightly to avoid potentially risky situations.  I also recommend that you secure your kite mount to your lines.  When the kite lines are tensioned, the mount is secure and cannot work free.  If you happen to lose tension in your lines, it could work itself off from your lines.  Some options to securing it in the event you lose tension would be to wrap the line managers with some tape or a hair bungee or even a rubber band.
That way it is still secure even with loose lines.  Do use caution when you have loose lines because like anything else around loose lines, the kite mount can become snagged and your mount can become entangled in loose lines.

As for your question on when a kite inverts or rolls.  When this happens your lines can become twisted inside of the steering lines.  usually this happens farther up the lines and can still be flown.  the kite mount was designed to be secured and mounted just at the vertex of your front lines (just above either a 1 to 2 split or above your pulley connection point) It can still fly, but best to go back in to the beach to resolve any line twists.

Total Posts: 73

Joined 2008-03-29

PM

I HAVE USED the gopro quite abit on the center strut of 08 and 09 rises. use the helmet mount, take off the webbing so all you have left is the plastic mount piece. run 2” velcro through it and velcro onto itself around the center strut. mount it with a little less pressure in the strut then inflate kite to normal psi for a secure fit.
if this doesnt make sense, let me know and ill take a pic of the setup

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

jtrashy - 27 January 2011 03:46 AM

I HAVE USED the gopro quite abit on the center strut of 08 and 09 rises. use the helmet mount, take off the webbing so all you have left is the plastic mount piece. run 2” velcro through it and velcro onto itself around the center strut. mount it with a little less pressure in the strut then inflate kite to normal psi for a secure fit.
if this doesnt make sense, let me know and ill take a pic of the setup

Sounds good, I found a spot behind the strut to use my wrist mount

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2011-04-16

PM

CAUTION!

I mounted the Gopro on the strut using a velcro strap similar to the wrist mount. My gopro moved on the strut and went through the canopy when I dropped the kite, nice camera sized hole.  Has anyone else experienced this or have a suggestion to remedy? got some great shots before, though.

Image Attachments

GOPR1201(ORforum).jpg

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Woah, no that’s pretty crazy, mine has come undone from the o-ring that’s holding it strapped back against the fabric, so that it basically just dangled for the last 30 minutes or so of a downy.