What size Razor for Maui??

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2008-03-04

PM

I was all set to get a 6m kite for an upcoming Maui trip in the spring, and I really like the sound of the new Razor, but with all the talk about how powerful it is, I am questioning which size I should get for the 33-35-ish mph gusting 40-42mph that Maui gets. I’d be riding a strapless surfboard and I’m 200lbs. I don’t mind riding with a lot of power but being overpowered and trying to ride wave strapless is hard work. Has anyone even had a chance to ride the 6m and 4m??

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Have had a couple good sessions with the 6m on snow.  1st was pretty steady wind in whiteout conditions.  Airport was saying 29 knots.  Second was also pretty windy, but a bit more inland with nutty on/off winds.  I’m 180lbs. 

The kites a champ.  In steady wind I left the trim strap wide open.  It can make loads of juice but I was never even close to overpowered.  That session was all about unhooked powdery goodness.  In the really gusty stuff it was still a champ, but I had to pull a hunk of strap to keep it from stalling unhooked.  The winds were gong show material and any time you put it deep in the window you risked a stall if the wind shut off. Which it did… frequently.  Had it sitting multiple times dead down wind on its trailing edge waiting for the tap to come back on.  Which it did… inevitably.  Like 3- 30 knots in half a second!  Still managed a pretty fun little night session with only a few face washes. 

The kite will be killer strapless.  but I’m having a hard time thinking that far ahead as we are looking at the best snow conditions round here in over half a decade!  Think 25 km of solid ice with a 3 inch base all coated with an even 8-12 inches of untouched pow.  Oh man, I think I just peed myself a little.

Stoked I have one.  In my winter get up, were probably not far off weight wise and a 6 is golden as windy as I care to go (real windy).  I cant see you wanting a 4m, but it makes sense for the little people.  The 6 has GREAT low end, but not really at much cost on the high end.  Certainly hooked in you have no worries.  Was really comfy first time out and pretty much ideal unhooked in deep snow.  I plan on plenty of strapless surfboard fun with it and feel pretty confident it wont disappoint.

Git one, and have a killer trip.

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

I’ve a few sessions on the 6 Razor in 28-35 with some higher gusts.  Kite is pretty killer - very stable, loads of low and top end.  At 195 lbs I felt juiced but never out of control in the higher stuff (there were some reported 40 knots gusts in one of my sessions).  Caveat is that I was riding a strapped TT so could really use edging to control power in the kite. 

Have not tried the 4. 

I agree with Brent and go 6m… The power shouldn’t be too much - besides it’s a 6m that will get you up and going when you get back to more mere-mortal conditions at your local launch.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2008-03-04

PM

Excellent. Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys!