Inside Scoop - 2011 Rise vs Razor

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Crew - be sure to check out my Blog posting for a full “John Z” perspective on the main differences between the 2 styles of kites this season. I have been asked a lot about the differences and thought I would blog a quick post to get it all out there.

Hope this helps guide your purchase decisions this spring!

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I’ve just spent the day playing on the 10m Razor and would have to agree with your comments on the jumps.  Which is a shame, coz I was out there thinking that you’d written something different about the Razor and was all set to contradict you. smile

With a combination of being slightly overpowered as the wind picked up and some judicious use of speed, I got some of the highest jumps I’ve ever attained. It does indeed rip you off the water, and although it doesn’t have that nice floaty glide that I love out of the Rise, I couldn’t help grinning from the adrenalin of that vertical take off.

It also behaved very well with a handful of trim.  My friend was nicely powered on his 8m Rise at the same time, where all other things between us are similar (weight, board size etc).  So that’s encouraging to know.

I really wanted to test it’s low end too, but that wasn’t happening today as the wind increased into the afternoon.  That can wait for another time.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

the razor is a wicked wave kite, seems “snappier” than the rise, but gives you more feedback through the bar.. which was one of my gripes about the older rises (which i ride). means you can forget the kite and spot your wave!

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2008-07-06

PM

If you compare the 12m sizes of the Rise and Razor, which one makes it easier to go upwind in very light wind? According to the blog post, the “Razor sits deeper in the window than the Rise” so I would guess that the Rise allows to go upwind in a steeper angle?

Regarding turning speed, the text says that “the tighter arc of the Razor results in a faster turning kite”. How big is the difference on those big 12m sizes in let’s say 15 knots of wind?

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Vpas, I’m glad you try to keep me accountable, someone has to! I’m glad both you and Harry agree with my assessment though!

Twinkler, the Rise pulls upwind harder, no question. Especially if you move the bridle settings forward on both the front and back attachments - a setting most of the San Fran racing Crew all use. The Razor still goes to windward well but the Rise just naturally wants to jet to the outside of the window and will pull you up wind as a result.

Regarding turning speeds, the Razor 12 - imo - turns at a comparable speed to the Rise 10. However, it turns in a different way - I’m going to make Ross wince here but here’s my take - the Razor turns about itself, deep in the window. This results in it snapping around and staying powered. The Rise turns about its wingtip and seems to need to swing wide in the window before coming back through to generate power again. Both have their advantages, it just comes down to what you prefer!

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 180

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

How is the jumping between a 12m Razor and a 12m Rise? I really like the 8m Razor, and how it boosts out of the water a lot quicker and harder than the Rise, but I was figuring that’s more because of the difference in size and speed of the kite then anything else.

At 185 lbs. I’m guessing I can hold the 12m Razor down to 18 or 19 knots, and then jump over to the 8m? Right now the 12m Rise with it’s extended range has been a nice complement to the 8m Razor, but I’m definitely thinking about upgrading to a 12m Razor as well.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Johnz

“Twinkler, the Rise pulls upwind harder, no question. Especially if you move the bridle settings forward on both the front and back attachments - a setting most of the San Fran racing Crew all use. The Razor still goes to windward well but the Rise just naturally wants to jet to the outside of the window and will pull you up wind as a result.”

JZ
Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Hey Crew!! I am just a little curious about this comment. I have a 2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise and 11m kite and it does not have adjustments for the front bridle attachment.  There is one single attachment and then the obvious two attachments for the steering lines. Can someone fill me in on this? Did I recieve a factory dud??? Just trying to find out.

Jim

superiorkiteboarding.ca

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I think he meant the Razor, it has 2 pig tail attachments points on the LE for the front lines and the Rise has only one.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2007-11-09

PM

I have an 8 and 10 of each kite and have been flying all of them, there is not much I can add to JZ’s detailed and well written blog post but here are a few of my observations.

I can fly the 8 Razor in winds that I would normally fly the 10 Rise, incredible low end.  The range is much tighter however, so if the wind is really variable or is forecast to pickup quite a bit during my ride I’ll generally take the Rise because of the range.  If the wind looks pretty steady I grab the Razor.  I’m 190 lbs, 6 feet, and can fly the 10 Razor in 15=18 mph and the 8 Razor is great at 18-22.  I fly my 10 Rise in 15-24 and the 8 Rise in 22-32 (ish). 

I have really come to appreciate having both on hand as the ride experience is similar yet very different if that makes any sense.  Razor is a bit more hard charging in my book, you have to be on your game, concentrate a bit harder, landings and loops are more powered (which makes em more fun but they hurt more if you miss).  I absolutely LOVE the full power through the turns, that was one of my only problems with the Rise.

Razor, better for unhooked tricks for sure.  But the Rise is probably the better all around 1 size fits all kite if you had to choose, it’s just so versatile.  I would say if you are working on mostly freestyle stuff or mostly wave riding.. Razor for sure, if you like to do it all and do a lot of floaty hooked in tricks, Rise. 

The Rise jumps, loops, screams upwind, huge range, fun on waves, floats for ever, really it can do it all.

The Razor loops like nothing else, full power through turns, jumps really high, and very smooth and stable unhooked, I can ride around for 30 seconds at a time unhooked and it’s smooth and stable.

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

Hey Ghostdog, are you powered or just “going” on the 10m in 15-18mph? I use a 12m for most of my riding and I am having a hard time seeing myself with a 10m for my big kite. I like to ride powered!

Joined 2007-11-09

PM

windjunky - 02 May 2011 03:39 PM

Hey Ghostdog, are you powered or just “going” on the 10m in 15-18mph? I use a 12m for most of my riding and I am having a hard time seeing myself with a 10m for my big kite. I like to ride powered!

I would say perfectly powered at 18 and overpowered at 22-23, but underpowered and really just going at 15.  15-17 would be a kind of ho-hum session, getting some moderate jumps and low altitude tricks in at the gusts… 17-20 would be really good, about where I would want to be, I like to be powered myself (but not digging in my heels, totally sheeted, no steering left on the kite over-powered.

If you had lots of 14-16 days I would stay with the 12, where I ride, we get more 16-20 days so the 10 is great for my ‘big’ kite (which is hard to believe!  My big kite used to be a 17 Fuel back in the day)

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

17m fuel…. I used to have 17-13-9-7 2005 fuels. I never had a good time on that kite because as soon as I would rig it up, the wind would pick up just enough where I couldn’t hold it down any more.

So the 10m Razor has replaced your 17m fuel as far as low end is concerned? Really? I currently ride 12-9-6 Rises and I am looking to replace my 2009 12m before it get too old.

Joined 2007-11-09

PM

windjunky - 03 May 2011 04:27 PM

So the 10m Razor has replaced your 17m fuel as far as low end is concerned? Really? I currently ride 12-9-6 Rises and I am looking to replace my 2009 12m before it get too old.

Not directly, I was just remarking that 6-7 years ago I used to have a 13,15,17 Fuel and thought the 13 was my small kite, now my 10 is my LARGE kite!!

I have not flow Fuel in at lesat 6 years.  I was on North Vegas 2006, then Naish Boxer 2007, then I found Ocean Rodeo and have flown the Rise since 2007.  Each year has been better!

I’m stoked about the Razor because it fills in a few gaps where the Rise was not perfect (speed through turns, unhooked stuff). 

The Razor is more similar to the Fuel when you think of smaller range than the Rise, but Razor has a much larger range than the Fuel, the Fuel was like a 3MPH range!

Joined 2007-11-09

PM

windjunky - 03 May 2011 04:27 PM

? I currently ride 12-9-6 Rises and I am looking to replace my 2009 12m before it get too old.

you could easily replace your 12 Rise with a 10 Razor, they are pretty similar in low end.  I’m finding roughly that where I would take a 10 Rise I take the 8 Razor and where I would take the 12 Rise I take the 10 Razor.  I’m 190 lbs, and an 8 and 10 of each works for me in almost all conditions unless it’s over about 35 MPH in which case the 8 Rise gets a bit overpowered.

That said, in really light winds, it’s my feeling that the 12 Rise would go upwind better than the 10 Razor.  The Razor needs a bit of wind so you can dig your heels in and force the kite to the edge of the window, while the Rise is naturally far forward so you can stand up straight and still get upwind a bit.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2011-04-19

PM

just want to chime in on this.  I have a 8m razor as my main kite.  Our inland conditions have been 18-30+ lately and the razor does just fine.  it is very smooth in the gusts and i have been able to ride out gusts in the high 30’s approaching 40.  I weigh 160lbs and ride a mako 150.

just wanted to give my 2 cents on the razor’s upper end as there seems to be a perception that it doesn’t do so well in gusty conditions.  keep in mind i have no experience with the rise and am coming from c kites.

Total Posts: 94

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

My first test flight of the 10 m Razor produced my biggest jump of my life. the first time I threw it back I felt like I got shot out of a cannon. It scared me because I just kept going up! I tested them all this winter and now have 10 and 12 Razors. I wanted a good wave kite for the coast, usually mid teens, and the 12 should be perfect. I agree with John Z comments. Good assessment of the Rise vs. Razor. I kept my 2010 Rise 7 m for the best Gorge kite I’ve ever used. Way to go OR!