Go Joe vs. Reel leash?

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-11-27

PM

Body dragging is not my bag (drink too much water), so with that in mind - any thoughts on Go Joe vs Reel leash?

I’ve used the Reel leash without incident for two years.  The only problem is occasionally ripping the leash connector (where it connect to the board) off.

Saw the demo on the Go Joe - looks “unique” but if it works that is all I care about.  If I get one I’d like to just leave it on my board.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

MC

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

No competition even when the negative safety aspects of a reel leash are removed.
I am an experienced guy who hates body dragging nearly as much as an investor hates the banks. What puts me in the league of the old chap and his pension is losing a board.
Real leashes for boards or dogs work much the same sometimes Boris the pooch amble back sometimes not.
May be Boris is play full and comes bounding back and jumps up at you in the last second splattering you dignity across the pavement.
Maybe not
Now Boris has found Fluffy the wavy poodle and he’s off something has to give will it be Boris’s ardor or his collar. Ho how we laughed as metal clip returned to you at 100mph

You don’t get this with a Gojoe The board turns so you can see it a drifts down wind Boring really real leashes are way more exciting

Joined 2008-11-27

PM

Thanks for the advice.  That may have been the most unique post I have ever written, but the sentiment/advice is appreciated.  I just wanted to hear from someone who has actually used the Go joe.  I’m assuming I can just leave it on my board and inflate when I ride??

Thanks again,

MC

Joined 2008-11-27

PM

Should have said - that I have ever read (not written).

MC

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Yep just blow up the kite then the board

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I’ve got 100 tips for ya:

1. LEARN TO UPWIND BODYDRAG.

Go Joes and board leashes come in handy 80% of the time, there may be times it’s not about your board but about your own skin.

2 - 99. see 1.

100. get the Go Joe NOW. If you managed to ride with a board leash for two years, statistics tell the chance for a major incident involving ketchup and lot’s of surgery and horrible nurses has accumulated to the highest risk thinkable.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

I’d agree with El Rudo and Sunrise on this.

I was very much in your position, had a leash on for way too long, I knew it was wrong and bought a Go Joe. I didn’t put the Go Joe on for about 6 motnhs after I bought it, mainly through laziness, then one day it hit me. Literally. Practising some new stuff, got lofted and a second after I hit the water my board hit me square on the back of the head. Fortunately I was wearing a helmet and the board hit me flat, not rail on. After I finished that session I took the leash point off the board and the leash off my harness and fitted the Go Joe. Never looked back.

Yep, I need to improve my body dragging upwind, especially when using my board without the joe on it, but for the time being I’m getting plenty of practice body dragging downwind as the Go Joe almost works too well in taking it off downwind. At least I always know where it will end up! smile

Looking forward to the new one if it makes it out of R&D!

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

I’m a big fan of the gojoe.  I’ve been kiting 8 years or so and never had any troubles bodydragging back to my board.  I live/kite in utah where winds are almost always gusty and can be highly variable.  one day last summer i was out on my 14 when the wind went from about 15mph to 30mph in maybe 2 or 3 minutes.  i got yanked way away from my board and being so overpowered there was no way for me to get back to it.  I made it back to shore, pumped up the 8m, grabbed another board and went back out to look for my board.  It was just gone.  i looked for an hour until it got dark.  went back the next day and went out on a kayak and spent another 2 hours looking.  Just gone.  Kind of odd on a lake.  Anyway, i bought the gojoe because i figured if that happened again, the board would be easier to spot.  But it turns out that i really like it, especially when working on new tricks when you’re falling alot.  I can get yanked quite a ways, but when i turn around, the board is practically right there.  i can always get it back in one tack.  I also found it’s really helpful when there is a current moving opposite of the wind direction, like in the gorge or SF on an ebb tide.  All of these benefits without exposing yourself to the risk that a leash poses (even a reel leash).  I haven’t found it to hamper my leg positioning at all.  I suppose if you were doing board-offs, it might hamper you there.  There are 2 downsides that i have found.  If you’re out in light wind where you are just able to get the board planing, the gojoe does cause some water drag prior to getting up on a plane, which can make getting started in really light wind more difficult.  also, almost everyone makes fun of it, but i don’t worry much about what other people think while i’m looking down at them from 30ft off the deck.

Joined 2008-11-27

PM

Great replies - thanks to all.  You have sold me.  I will continue to work on the body drag - which I have become quite proficient on side to side, now if I could just get upwind!  In the meantime I will get the Go Joe and become a source of humor and maybe it will be like a guy with a golden retriever pup - make for some new friends.

Thanks to all. If you kite in Belmont Shore Ca. come say hello to the new pup.

MC

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

to put it bluntly board leashes are lethal, think about the whiplash effect of the board which is aimed by your leash to go back to you, if that hits you in the head you know yourself whats gonna happen.

go joe definately!!!!!

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2010-12-30

PM

I’ve used a leash for the last 18 months as having a board on the end of a leash gave me one less thing to worry about when I fell off, until last month that is, when I did a jump the kite looped, I did a superman, followed by a jesus walk, stopped in the water and my board shot past my head and 3000 mph and then snapped the leash (which was a coil leash). So now I have fitted a Go Joe for my TT in medium to high winds, but I have stayed using a leash for my Mako King (Light Winds and Wave riding) whilst I learn how to Gybe (no tricks or jumps) as I don’t want to lose my board.

Signature

6, 12 and 14m Rise (2010)
9m Rise (2011)
Mako King (2010)
SLE3.0
Nobile 666 (2010)
Session 2 Harness

Local Beach Bantham, Devon, UK

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Wellard, I’m glad you’re OK!!

The Go Joe does work well with the King as well, should you elect to add it to that board too!

JohnZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2008-11-27

PM

Put it on my Mako.  Now just need wind.  Thanks to all.

MC

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

The one issue with the GoJoe is if the wind switches to cross offshore and you are unable to get out to the board after it passes you because of physical features related to the spot.

This happened to me yesterday at Mae Nam point in Thailand. The wind dropped to 4m/s and I had to body drag in to. Just catch the point before washing past the bay and out to sea. That Mako wide loved the 4m/s and started moving cross offshore fast! A fishing boat snagged it and brrought it back=100 bhat.

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

Kirk - 24 February 2011 04:38 AM

The one issue with the GoJoe is if the wind switches to cross offshore and you are unable to get out to the board after it passes you because of physical features related to the spot.

This happened to me yesterday at Mae Nam point in Thailand. The wind dropped to 4m/s and I had to body drag in to. Just catch the point before washing past the bay and out to sea. That Mako wide loved the 4m/s and started moving cross offshore fast! A fishing boat snagged it and brrought it back=100 bhat.

To be fair though, the winds changed to cross off and you normally wouldn’t/shouldn’t kite in cross off, hardly the go joes fault and although a leash would have helped in this situation I think we all know a leash is generally a bad idea!

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Woody71 - 24 February 2011 05:58 PM
Kirk - 24 February 2011 04:38 AM

To be fair though, the winds changed to cross off and you normally wouldn’t/shouldn’t kite in cross off, hardly the go joes fault and although a leash would have helped in this situation I think we all know a leash is generally a bad idea!

Fully agree. Not the GoJoe’s fault. It helped us see the board from shore and the fishing boat to see it. I have GoJoes on both my boards and never leashes.

Tomorrow is my last day in Thailand. I have been here two weeks and have been out 4 times. Make Wide and big kites!

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide