2011 Mako King is one hell of a board!

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

Wow!
Took the new King for an hour on the water today in some less than perfect winds, 16-25 with lulls to 12 at times.
Kept me on my toes. Amazingly, the King and my 10m Razor could easily work through the big lulls until those powered up
sections lit me up with plenty of power. I noticed right away a difference between the 2010 and the 2011.
This 2010 with its foam core felt like a surfboard in a mutant twin, the way it absorbed shock and flexed.
The 2011 feels much more like a freestyle board, the more energy you throw into it the more it shoots that energy back into you.
The straps are much better than they look, this spartan design is actually quite comfortable.
The foam deck give a good shock protection while giving the rider an enhanced directness that you just can’t get with a foamy foot bed. Feels more like sports car than a long travel off road machine. The thinness of the rails give this hull a bite that is amazing.
I mean like, totally outstanding! The plastic plugs keep the spray out of the eyes too.
The 1st Mako King is a truly great board, just awesome.
This one is even better IMO.
Good enough to warrant serious thought to an upgrade.
This Mako has that freestyle pop man, and I am still grinning from ear to ear after that session today…wow!
Thank you OR for building this gem with a wood core!

Stoked in Seattle!

Signature

experience the stoke

http://www.kitepaddlesurf.com/

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

Signature

experience the stoke

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Now here’s a little challenge for you.  Go Mutant and learn how to gybe. Well worth the effort.
Since I have had the 2011 King my surfboard would gather dust . I say would because all the cadgers on the beach keep steeling the king and I am let with the surfboard. That is the trouble when you get the best everyone else wants a go.

What is the difference between Dr Who’s tardis. and a King?
1 looks small but become big and the other looks big but becomes small when ridden.

Joined 2008-09-11

PM

I accept the challenge sir,
however I reserve the right to strap the King in a manner most acustomed to the switching of stance.
More so.. let it be known through out these lands that perhaps, from the point of view of a thickly built squire such as myself,
that thy King in mutant mode does not have the sparkling low end glide that I crave in these dastardly unstable storm winds.
In twin tip mode a conservative rider could select the smallest of kites to be perfectly powered in the gusts, and adjust riding styles for that dominant fin side.
In mutant mode kite selection is more aggressive because you want power to that dominant fin side.

Scotty is going to have to give me full power!

Signature

experience the stoke

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

The king is defiantly better in twintip if you are under powered and to be honest it is only waves that warrant mutant.  That said the King is an easy board to learn to jibe ( Far easier than my surfboard) and once in waves the mutant King is brilliant .My weapon of choice.  Well that is unless I am super powered then the 150 Classic Mako is the Canine plums . Hang on Carve and pray!!.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I had a chance to try the 2011 140 and the 165 back to back yesterday.
You can definately power up that kite more with the 140 and smack some good sized airs.
I just can’t get over how smooth this board is, its a very comfotable ride.
The 165 definately brings out the wave hunter and syncs very well with the short period stuff we get in puget sound.
I really dig high speed carves with this board and taking on the terrain.
A big plus that comes along with this 165 is being able to just slow it all down and cruise effortlessly upwind.
Very respectable air time with this board too.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

What are the opinions about the King for very low wind? I just bought a Speed 3 21M and I have no low wind board. I can either go the Flysurfer way and buy a Flydoor or get a Mako King. The Flydoor is.. well.. a door! I need a board that will allow me to carve and to scream upwind in 10 knots. What is your advice, Sunrise? Anyone?

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Funny you should ask. I was out yesterday on my 19 speed 2 and the King sub 10mph.  Less than 8 mph and I struggled to hold ground but at 10mph Cruising up wind no problem.  If you want to push low wind a race board is required. The Door ( 65) will take you up wind slightly earlier than the king that has to be said. Though as soon as you are away from the critical wind speeds the King is fun and especially shoved in mutant mode where as you say the door live up to its name.
For me the choice would be Race or King as they are fun through a large wind range.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-04-04

PM

Rode my new King for the 1st time yesterday and loved the board. Bought a 150 last year and now have a King too.
One thing I found was the strap screws are long for the thin board and can put dents in the bottom of the board if tightened to firmly.
I dimpled 3 out of 4 screws. I guess I’ll be addin some washers.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

did you use the stainless spacers with the clawed surface on the bottoms which hold the straps straight?
I just checked my King and the screws did not dimple my board at all.

Joined 2011-04-04

PM

Of course. Claw side down.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Crap! I feel the need to get to the bottom of this so no one else goes through this!
I just pulled one of the pan head screws out of a strap and measured its length, its exactly 3/4” long.
What length are the screws that came with your board?

Joined 2011-04-04

PM

Didn’t find a tape handy but they look all of 3/4. Added a lock and it still pushed out. Added a flat and its all good. The board sat a week without screws and all but 1 dimple settled. 2 came back with srews and lock washers but with flats too all good.
I bet a 5/8 screw would be perfect. Wow the winds comin up I better go ride.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I did some more measuring and discovered that the screws are bottoming out at the point of tightness.
No extra room at all.  Thanks for the heads up on this potential issue, I’m going to be extra carefull when I move the straps the around to change it to mutant mode.

Joined 2010-08-10

PM

Have now got 20 plus hours on the new King with the wood core after having the 2010 King for 30 plus sessions and the new board feels different, heavier but stronger, less surfboardy and more kiteboardy as some of the other reviewers have mentioned. This board rocks like it’s predecessor. Love the King and toeside seems better or easier to me as well on the 2011. Hated the new color but it has grown on me.

Long live the King!

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2010-05-09

PM

rode the 2010 king today strapless with the deckpad and i must say…WHAT A BLAST!!!  for anyone with a 2010 king debating whether to get a deckpad or not…DO IT, you’ll love it!  Cheers,

-Wade.