help! fixing completely delaminated OR mako

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-08-07

PM

I’m posting to the forums looking for some advice on an economical way to repair my completely delaminated board? Riding last weekend the board suddenly felt really flexible and wouldn’t hold an edge. i kicked it off and saw the bottom of the board was completely missing. I dragged in and my friend who saw what had happened picked up the bottom laminate which was still floating and brought that in.
So how to get the two halves back together? I’ll need to fill in the missing foam and fabricate a spacer along the rails where it is missing. Epoxy plus micro balloons and a thin wood strip for the rail? I’m reluctant to shell out $$‘s to a board repairer because i’m not sure if a repair will hold up. Is it possible to restore the integrity of a cracked foam core? My other Mako partially delaminated last summer and i epoxied it back together but i don’t have much confidence in these foam cores once they crack. I really like the original narrow Mako for riding in the gorge but all the used ones i checked out felt like they had core cracks when i flexed them even though they weren’t yet delaminated.
Repair ideas????

Image Attachments

IMGP0046 (Small) (Custom).jpg

Joined 2007-08-07

PM

other photos

Image Attachments

IMGP0047 (Small) (Custom).jpg

Joined 2007-08-07

PM

last picture

Image Attachments

IMGP0048 (Small) (Custom).jpg

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

wow that’s what you would call delaminating! Yep I’d go with the microballoons. Use two grades, first a wetter one with more epoxy to reconstruct the rail, and after grinding that down reconstruct the foam and gaps with a very light microballoon mix to make sure the thickness is back to original.
After grinding that down to the right core shape, apply plenty of resin and stick the board back together. Use box tape around the edges, better than clamps. Make sure the board is well supported so you’re not sticking it back together torsioned or crooked.
You might want to prepare the outer top and bottom surface with box tape so the excess pox comes off easy.

Good luck, let us know how you go!

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Paul, I doubt you would want to repair that board. Please see my comments to Prolithic regarding replacement options for you, we have offered you a very deep discount to help you out but this board is beyond repair.

Further, if you miss the feel of the original Mako 150 I strongly recommend you consider the Mako Mini 130x35. It charges hard and carves beautifully, easily as aggressive as the original 150 did. I am 185lbs and easily ride the board, it rides much bigger than 130 due to the deep concave.

All 2011 boards are now wood core, we have not had a single wood core board delaminate.

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Paul,
Like I said on KF, don’t bother trying to repair this trashed Mako. Put it on your wall as a trophy or whatever.
Take the offer from Johnz ! that will bring much faster on the water i bet.
regards
Arjan

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Nothing lasts forever dude.
OR runs a tight ship and no one gets a free ride.
Trust me, you will not regret for a moment upgrading to a 2011 wood core mako.
Personally, I’d get the King.
This hull has turned so many days with crappy winds into golden sessions that I’ve lost count of them all.
All the low end, drive and speed of a directional compacted into thin and flexible twin tip that seems to able to adapt to anything.
Of course, that mini is a kick in the pants too but much more skatey than surfy.

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

No! Don’t let these guys sweet talk you into the shame of buying new gear and out of a victorious grand resurrection of your beloved Mako! Of course the 2011 woodcores rock and you know you want one, but there’s something else going on here.
Apparently not everybody recognizes it - booo on them.

Here is a crucial challenge ahead of you of live-changing caliber.

There isn’t even a choice here. These two battered shells are looking at you, begging you to man up and just go for it. You have already decided you were going to repair anyway.
Don’t back out now. You can do it. You have my engineering support (previous involvement in wind turbines, a Whitbread racers, A-Cats, and even serial production of composite solid body electric guitars). Plan your work and work your plan. PM me if you get stuck.
Everything is possible. Invest this time in yourself, and show us how you go so other guys can follow you leading example. Can’t loose this my brother. The road is the destiny.
There are no economics for pride.

Hang in there, and show us what you’re made of.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

You are right El Rudo.
This process will definately enlighten you and you’ve got nothing to lose…but why not get another board too?
This size and the King is what I’m running as my personal quiver and it a sweet set up man!

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2009-08-11

PM

Just do it - go for it, and get another board too.
Cheers

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

Accept the challenge, I would!! ........And I’m still riding a Black and Yellow 150x34 from yesteryear that I will not give up!

Do this! and take photos!!

DAVE

Signature

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It’s not trashed… send it to me if you plan on throwing it away… I’ll pay the shipping!

DIY… vacuum bag it with epoxy!

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-01-13

PM

OR needs to come up with some kind of derlin plastic corner flashing or rubber bumpers for 2014 models.