10m Rise Newer or Older

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Hello, I’m interested in getting a 10m Rise. I’m pretty much a beginner, can go upwind, tiny jumps, heel and toe ride sort of thing.

I’ve read many of the threads on the newer kite, and the impression I get is it seems to be quite an upgrade in how it flies, but I also am painfully aware, everyone here is much better than me!

For my level, do you think it’s worth the extra dollars to get the newer model, vs an older, much less expensive kite? I don’t auger the kite into the water anymore, and expect it to be my most used kite. I hope to ride a lot this summer, some waves, and improve.

I’m leaning to the new kite, but really would be quite happy with an ‘08 or ‘09, if the kite performance, at my level, is not an issue.

Thanks so much for your advice.

George

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi George,
The 10m Rise up from 2008 is the sweetest size of the sweetest kite. Sure there are differences, but for getting in to the sport they’re all great kites.
Good winds!

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2009-11-16

PM

I am an instructor and have bin teaching with and riding the rise for the past 4 years. I like to have my students start with the 08 10m kite. It flies with good bar feedback and never seems to over fly past the windows edge when at the zenith. How ever with a larger leading edge and a center strut , it is less stable and dose not go up wind as well as the 2010 or 11. If budget is a big issue and you can get one in good shape you will be very happy with the older kite. But if you can afford it I would suggest you go for a new kite or a 2010. Not only is it more stabile, with better upwind performance but the jumps are smother with better hang time and more control. Pluses the newer bar is a big upgrade.
  Hopes my option is helpful to you.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2010-10-29

PM

If you ride waves forget the rise…. In the surf it has nbeen renamed the backstall…....worst slackline kite i’ve ridden….great flatwater and jumping but not for the surf….

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

borntofli - 30 April 2011 02:07 PM

If you ride waves forget the rise…. In the surf it has nbeen renamed the backstall…....worst slackline kite i’ve ridden….great flatwater and jumping but not for the surf….

This seems to contradict this thread:

http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/2433/

Thanks for your reply and the others. I definitely will be using the kite on flatwater, but also will be surfing waves.

Borntofli, do you recommend another kite for an all around kite? I will say I use 2 older Rise kites now, and have nothing but good experiences, but the reality is I’m very inexperienced in general, and have no wave-kiting experience.

Thanks again, very much.

George

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

George,
Your right about questioning this reply. The Rise can backstall like any other kite when flown without any feel.
Super kite, many people still happily fly the 2008 and 2009 in all sorts of terrain, style and circumstances.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2009-11-16

PM

I have ridden the RISE in the waves and always have a good time, just ad a little depower and it will not stall at all. But you should check out the RAZER It’s a great kite even for a beginner/ intermediate.  It performs well in the waves or on the flat.  I have bin teaching with a 12m for the last 2 month with very good results, but you may won’t to use the freeride bar for the safety the long throw gives. Or maybe the fusion bar but I have not tried that one yet.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2010-10-29

PM

Maybe it’s just the way I ride….  I dont have any problems with other kites (ozonec4, rev, octane, c kites).. I had an 8-10-12 rise and they all fall out of the sky when the lines get a little slack…..  Just my observations, they were fine for me in most other aspects…..I have a 12m for sale if someone wants it…..

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

borntofli - 01 May 2011 12:28 PM

Maybe it’s just the way I ride….  I dont have any problems with other kites (ozonec4, rev, octane, c kites).. I had an 8-10-12 rise and they all fall out of the sky when the lines get a little slack…..  Just my observations, they were fine for me in most other aspects…..I have a 12m for sale if someone wants it…..

Borntofli, thanks, I think it must be a little uneasy to post this view on an OR forum, but I guess the real way to know would be to fly the kite myself. If you still have it, are you selling your 10m? ; )

I have other reasons to get an OR kite, so it’s likely that I will, so I’ve got only two other questions. If I do spring for a ‘10 or ‘11, is it worth the extra several hundred dollars for the upgraded bridle system with the ‘11, for a beginner? Is this the only significant change in the 2 years?

Thanks again, and I’ll let this thread slink away, after this.

george

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2009-03-09

PM

I have two 09 rise kites to part with.  Both in near mint condition.  10m and 14m.  PM if you are interested.  They are great kites with a better high end than low end.  Which is probably what you want as a beginner, they really soak up the gusts.  I have not had a problem with stalling?  Don’t know where that comes from?

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I have the upgraded bridle for my Rise, but can’t comment on how much better it is as I never flew the kite without it.  Check out the older threads about the bridle modification to see if others voiced an opinion.

The new Razor is great, but as you’re starting out, you want the cheaper kite really. That will save you money to buy another kite sooner.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One