Self landing the Razor with freestyle bar?

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

Any advice on a self landing technique using the freestyle bar? The Rise with freeride bars are very easy to self land
as the kite is lowered to a few feet above the beach, a quick yank of the top center line would turn the kite into the wind
positioning the kite to remain on the beach. I’m hoping there is another technique with the freestyle bar as the center
lines are too far away to pull them to rotate the kite.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2009-10-10

PM

I was going to ask the same question with the new 2011 Rise and FreeRide Bar after a break in session on the weekend.  How is everyone self landing?  Can’t reach the top centerline to rotate down.

JD

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I asked this question the other day:

To self land with the freestyle bar release the trim loop, or just unhook, so the mini 5th line that your leash attaches to takes the load. This will make the kite roll over on it`s back. NB. If you are doing it while standing on the beach you may need to take a few steps towards the kite when you release the trim loop to help the kite roll over. Once the kite is on it`s back, hold the leash with one hand and then disconnect it with the other hand. Walk up the 5th line, hand over hand, until you get to the swivel. Then walk up one of the front lines to the kite.

Do the Freeride and Fusion bars have the O’shit handle attached to one of the front lines at the swivel? If so then I expect you’ll need to release the bar onto the safety leash as above and then once disconnected from the leash walk up one front line in the same manner?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2009-10-10

PM

Oh shit line release on the outside lines.

JD

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Fusion bar: OPTION A: 1. steer hit into a landing @ edge of window 2. Unhook or punch out & release the bar. 3. walk up center line hand over hand & tug on the upwind center line to twist kite into a nose into wind position 3. Walk up this line to kite hand over hand 4. Secure kite by deflating or placing a weight bag on the canopy. OPTION B: 1. punch out or unhook.  2. let go of the bar & kite will fall from sky 3. Walk up center line hand over hand & tug on the upwind center line to twist kite into a nose into wind position. 4. Secure kite by deflating or placing a weight bag on canopy.  ... NOTES: A: No need to release safety line until kite is landed.  OH SHIT !!! handle is now either steering line BUT all other lines INCLUDING SAFETY LINE must be disconnected to allow kite to flag off one line. DO NOT let go of this line if you want to retrieve your kite . Your session is over !!!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBupcnH5q7Y&feature=player_embedded

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Nothing inscrutable. Fly the kite to the edge of the window about 2 meters above the ground take note which front line goes to the wing tip highest from the ground.
Release the bar and pull in the center lines in until you can get to the higher front line. then grab the front line and pull and the kite will just sit down. Mind it is still better to land to a person

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2007-09-22

PM

As always there are different ways to do it. If you have enough space and something to connect the chicken loop to you can put the kite on the edge and fasten the chicken loop and then take care of the kite.

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

If I had one (are you listening Richard?) I’d drop it to the side of the window, fully depowered (trim strap and all) and then attach my leash to the tow hook on the van. I’d then slip the chicken loop over it as well. Walk to the kite upwind side and make safe.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2009-04-09

PM

Thanks for all the suggestions,... Hopefully I’ll try them in today’s clearing winds.  Although I don’t think I’ll be able to use the “van” method,... my bar did not come with one of those smile  But I could try a volleyball post on the one beach I sometimes kite at.  Thanks again.

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

The same technique works with all bars regardless of model and year. However, with the new bars you do need to be quick about ” hauling in ” on the center lines to get to the split. Commit and go for it - balking half way is no bueno.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

It’s all been posted but here is my experience with the razor and freestyle bar. As evan said, avoid hesitation.  With the kite landed at the side of the window, let out the bar (let go of it) but hold onto the chicken loop. Unhook but don’t drop the chicken loop so it doesnt go to leash. Walk hand over hand up the front and leash line together toward the kite until you reach the swivel. Tug the upper front line and it should clam down. Then undo leash and sort the bar.  If you drop the bar and it goes to the leash line the kite will end up on its back straight down wind. I then undo leash from bar as not to drag it while I hand over hand up both front lines held together until I reach the kite and flip it.  Generally can clam shell it every time.  The kite will stay on its wing tip if it’s landed before you walk up the fronts. Pulling the kite to you by the fronts will likely flip it onto its back. It tends to then roll downwind and usually clams itself halfway downwind, but it’s messy and not very controlled, so just park it on a tip and walk the two meters up the fronts to the swivel.