Rise vs Razor for most height in a jump.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Which kite gets the most height?  Not talking about hangtime, just height.

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Depends on the size and power you run. 10m and above it is clear cut the Razor has it. Below that things get a more complicated. If you don’t like being maxed out the Razor is the way to go . Its quick turning , flicking the kite over you head for a jump gives brutal lift. Running the Rise maxed and using the depower range plus loads of board speed the Rise will go ballistic.  The lift from the Rise is more akin to flight where as the Razor is a catapult. My personal quiver is a 12 Razor 9m rise 7m Rise. The bottom line is you would need to be censorious to find a problem with either kite for lift.

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

I’ve a big issue with the above Sunrise post….........................he’s talking sense which is a relatively new concept.

Without enough time on a Razor I won’t comment but I will say that the smaller Rises really do jump incredibly well. The 8m Rise really yanks you off the water. it’s also a kite that seems to thrive on being ridden quickly. Pretty full on, go go go!! The 11m seems a little more “relaxed”.

I’m currently toying with the idea of a 10m Razor to sit with the 8m Rise (75-80kgs) but ideally I’d like to try the 10m Razor back to back with my current 11m Rise

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

What about the 12m Razor compared to the 12m Rise?

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

If it is pure jumping then the Razor has it unless you won’t to be maxed out . If you are after wind range then it is the Rise.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I picked up a 10 RAZOR to replace my 11 RISE ... The big difference for me is that when I change direction (kite transition) the 11 was a bit sluggish in light wind & tended to require me to significantly bush the bar away to keep the kite flying ... The RAZOR is a lot more positive coming over to the other tack & jumps just like the RISE for me ... ( the master of the 5 foot jump) ... I have not tried the 12 yet but intend too & maybe even the 15 RISE http://www.oceanrodeo.com/kiting/riseLW for those very light ( 8 - 12 knot ) sessions

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

no idea, but I’m on razors and two days after a real good day my abs are still killing me!

I’d pay good money to do it again today.

I bet the technique to get the absolute max height from either model is a bit different, but even with a good margin of error in the technique dept, both kites will get you up there. 

I’d bet the real difference is more the low end jumps.  You can pop little airs with a razor early cause they are so quick.  Not higher, but earlier.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I’ve not the experience on the kites that sunrise has, but the 10m Razor has given me the biggest jumps I’ve had yet.  Of course, I didn’t fly a 10m Rise in the same session, so make of it what you will. smile

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-03-05

PM

Both jump well it is more about the style of riding you are doing.  Rise is perfect for Free ride jump and Razor is perfect for freeStyle jumping.
I currently am riding 6m, 8m, 10m, 12m 2011 Razors and 10m, 12m, 15m 2011 Rises.

Signature

http://WindyDevil.com
Email me to demo any OR gear in the SF BayArea
2011 Rise 10m, 12m and 15m
2011 Razor 6m, 8m, 10m and 12m
2011 Mako King
2009 SlingShot BW 6’2”
2010 SlingShot 132 Darko
2009 Ocean Rodeo custom 6’ Raceboard

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

WindyDevil, heard you got to ride the 15 LW rise and the zephyr back to back.  can you post some comparison thoughts?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2009-03-05

PM

So the deal is I never flew the Zephyr so can’t really say anything about it other than the 15m LW Rise goes upwind a little better but the Zephyr has greater range.

Most session have been on my race board.  So I have jumped it much.
The 15m LW seems to turn a lot faster than my 2010 13m did.
Yesterday I was on it with a race board and was well powered in wind that was averaging 12-15 mph.
It is something between the Rise and the Razor in the way it flys and looks. 
So for sure it needs to be called the Riser.

Signature

http://WindyDevil.com
Email me to demo any OR gear in the SF BayArea
2011 Rise 10m, 12m and 15m
2011 Razor 6m, 8m, 10m and 12m
2011 Mako King
2009 SlingShot BW 6’2”
2010 SlingShot 132 Darko
2009 Ocean Rodeo custom 6’ Raceboard

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Ok, I can weigh on this after several sessions on the 12m Razor and a couple of higher wind days (18 - 22 knots) on the 8m Razor. The Razor definitely boosts quicker and with as much if not more height than the Rise. The float is definitely less, but since the Razor is a bit quicker through the wind window and likes to set lower in the wind window, when you go to send the kite it generates a quicker, stronger pull.

Coming down has some float, just not as much as the Rise. Definitely have to work the kite.

All in all after 3 sessions on the 12m Razor, very happy with it. Haven’t gotten out on a light day with the surfboard yet.