Rise 2010 12 m stalling

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-06-19

PM

Hi all, i´ m brand new at Ocean Rodeo

I have recently bought a 0km 2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise 12 m. First time i buy one OR, i have been kiting for several years with Norths kites.

I read carefully the manual and see there are 4 poinst of attacments lines. But in the kite i only find three. Front lines are fixed, rear lines has two options.

I am very glad with OR Rise. Great kite. a little bit technical, but great upwind, big jump and hangtime. Very fast for its size.

Sometimes it tends to nosedive, but it might be the lightwind. Any answer to this?

Thank you in advance.

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Read this thread   http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/2966/
It may answer all your questions

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

For full support from the totally savvy UK crew, posting a picture of your girlfriend helps.  raspberry

Joined 2011-06-19

PM

Ok sunrise, i have read the entire thread. Thanks for your help.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Sabraxas, my apologies for playing a little joke. I was merely teasing the United Kingdom crew, obviously in a bit of an inappropriate manner. I will continue to tease the UK crew in different manners from now on.

Your English is very good, so don’t worry about that! About 1,000 times better than my Spanish. Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts on the Rise kite! Just out of curiosity, where in South America are you from?

With regards to the Rise, this has been a immensely popular kite loved by lots and lots of riders since its launch back in 2007. It is reknown for its very high flying efficiency in a wide variety of tacks. This aspect is one of its very key qualities. You are right in saying the the kite is ruggedly built, and in acknowledging that this, combined with the huge depower range and its ability to perform far to the edge of the wind window makes it possible to have it nose dive. It’s the nature of the beast! All you need to do is to get used to keeping some tension on the back lines and you’ll be fine. I have spend hundreds of hours flying Rise kites of different vintages and I never had one nosedive, except for one time when the wind reversed and every kite on the beach came down.
With regards to the stalling, the venturi system will allow you to power the kite up beyond what you may be used to with non vented kites, but when you over do it it will stall - hard. Experienced riders new to these kites sometimes need some time to get used to that.
What you get in return is a great flying kite, fast, precise, huge range, superbly build and very powerful.

If this type of kite is not your taste you might like the Razor, which is less effective in some ways but is designed to live deeper towards the power zone. More experienced riders appear to like the raw power that comes with this concept.
cheers,
Rudo

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

I’ve seen this complaint a couple of times, and find it difficult to relate.  There is obviously a large group of kiters who are accustomed to letting their kite loiter at zenith.  There are obviously quite a few kites that are tuned to handle this and it is an issue for those making the switch. 

It’s difficult to give the needed advice without sounding patronizing.  No kite should be left without bar input at zenith.  That is the most unstable situation you can put a kite in, so it stands to reason you should avoid it by keeping some wind in the kite off to the side.  Even if there are kites out there that will sit at zenith, it is still the least stable situation with the highest lofting potential.  Any kite, Ocean Rodeo or otherwise are safest and best behaved when there is tension in all 4 lines and feedback at the bar. 

I hope your not upset with the responses Sabraxas as there is a very helpful group on here.  They certainly will not offend on purpose.

I suggest you try the kite out in a little more than 10-11 knots to get a good feel for it.  Thats not really 12m weather, and I can understand any kite underperforming in those conditions.  I would say the bottom end for that kite is 12-14knots.  It sounds like you have plenty of experience and if you choose to stick with the kite you should find it second nature to avoid the issue you raise once you get a feel for the kite.  I encourage you to take it out in a solid 15 knots to do that before you pass judgment on it.

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

I love the zenith. Every gust I rocket towards the sun. It’s great looking down on the kiters who have their kites at 1 o’clock or 11 o’clock in perfect control . Then the gust goes I   need no more laxatives

Joined 2011-06-19

PM

Thanks again for your answers.

Cheers.

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Nice vid accompanied by a good choice in music. What is that contraption attached to your back? Would like to hear about it and maybe see a photograph taken by someone else of you wearing it.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2011-05-28

PM

what kind of extension lines did you use..i have the 15m lw rise and i want to boost a litle the low end…

Joined 2011-06-19

PM

sofoklis bour - 21 June 2011 12:07 PM

what kind of extension lines did you use..i have the 15m lw rise and i want to boost a litle the low end…

If you have an old bar with lines, you can cut two lines in the middle. Here are the four extensions. But 4 ends will have stitched loops and you´ll have to knot the others 4 loops at the ends of the extensions.
DYNEEMA CANNOT BE KNOTTED! But you can tie a knot in Dyneema if you use dacron covers (Dont know the exactly word: small flexible tube of dacron rope) I tie them using double 8 knot.

Using almost 40 meters lines gives you a Great Power zone. Every stroke you give to the bar returns in a much longer (more time)pull traction from the kite. Once you begin to create apparent wind, you can leave the kite in a zone at the edge. But with the same angle of shorter lines, with the extensions, the kite will be higher in altitude “and will catch more wind (than very close to the water)”. You will be able to go upwind more easily in light winds.

Cheers!

Joined 2011-06-19

PM

andy - 21 June 2011 09:03 AM

Nice vid accompanied by a good choice in music. What is that contraption attached to your back? Would like to hear about it and maybe see a photograph taken by someone else of you wearing it.

Hi Andy: It is a simple Columbia dromedary backpack. But with some kind of pbt base and several aluminiun square section pipes. At the end the device has attached the Go Pro Hero Camera. It has settings to put the camera whereever you want, for different points of view.

Here you have a video of another much more simpler device, but with the same concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1cNR99r3U4

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

I remember trying a 14m Rise with some long extensions in pretty light winds. About 15mph and my 11m Rise was struggling. This 14m monster was unbelievable. Once you got some aparent wind generated (which was hard work due to the light winds and having to work the kite in on shore conditions) the pull was incredible. Basically I couldn’t hold it in the surf at all. Mad it was and good fun too.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Sabraxas, welcome to the Crew! Very stoked to have you on the gear. Your English is perfect btw, no worries. Much much better than my broken Spanish!

To back up Rudo a bit he really is a gentleman, glad everything was clarified smile

The Rise very seldom luffs over unless left right overhead. Try to keep the kite off to the side, maybe 45° or so, not straight overhead. As mentioned, it is a kite which flies much further to the outside of the window too which, in light winds, will lead to this possibility. In very light winds please try using the back of the 2 front attachment options for the bridle. This will let the kite sit deeper in the window.

Good luck, please feel free to be in touch with me directly at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) if you like!

John Z

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Thanks John, I’m trying to picture you with a mustache now…