Board Choice?

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Hey, just wonder what the prevailing wisdom/experience is on the board that you ride. That is, does the board contribute much joy/value to the kite ride.

I use a pretty low end twintip and a floaty surfboard. I have a lot of fun on these. I now seem to have a bug about newer boards, in particular a mako, and possibly a thinner, lower volume, surfboard. Am I wasting precious resources if I start sniffing around these things?

I am a beginner, but going lots and improving. When I think of other activities, sometimes newer gear adds to the fun, and with other stuff, newer/more expensive gear doesn’t give much bang for the buck.

What do you think about boards? Mostly I am in flat water/chop/wind swell, but will do trips to the coast for waves.

Thanks a lot.

George

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

IMO, the gear makes a huge difference.  I own and have ridden a lot of different gear.  From huge floaty 19m Flysurfers and Spleene doors to 7m tube kites and 122cm boards in all sorts of conditions.  I’m not a pro so .... there are some tricks I can do in light wind with big boards/kites that I will not even try in high wind with small kites/boards.  And vise versa.

I expect a smaller board will open you up to trying new things.

Good luck

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

The best bet is try before you buy. Have a look in the dealer section and see if you can get a demo. The Mako is a superb board but only if it suits what you want to do

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I think that there are certain conditions for certain boards, as you’ve already found with the small twin-tip and surfboard.  Not having the perfect board might meant hat you have an average session or a bad session.  Having the right tool for the right job increases the chances of fun.

Certainly I’ve had sessions where I’ve swapped boards and subsequently had more fun because of it.  But that’s always swapping types of boards, e.g. the twin-tip for a Mako or a surfboard, or vice versa.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

Boards make a significant contribution to the kiting experience.

Some board shape may mush through the water simply pushing water away in all directions. Some other board shape may direct the water in a more organized manner. If you can visualize these two simplified statements, you are on your way to understanding the significance board design plays in your kiting experience/enjoyment.

For a fun change from your current riding experience, consider removing or changing the fins on your twintip. Fiddling with your gear will certainly vary your riding/learning experience and prove to you the idea that we don’t all ride identically.

Let us know what you find, and for sure get on some other boards if you can demo/borrow something.

Variety is the spice of kiting if you’re a flat water chop rider. DAVE

Signature

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Thanks for your replies. They are very helpful, and much appreciated.

Would anyone choose their TT or Mako King over their surfboard in surf or windswell?

Thanks a lot.

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Only use my surfboard when the king is out on loan!!!

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-05-22

PM

naturally Gearalcoholics collect boards,  I think I have 6.  I have a go to board, and i pull one or two of the others out from time to time but the rest mostly collect dust.  I think the answer is, yes the board has a huge impact on your ride.  I would say its 50% of the picture.  Some new boards are great, my go to board at the moment is the 2011 jt pro.

I know guys that have skywalkers from 2003 or so and they refuse to give them up.  Is there a better board then that out there, probably.  Is there one that will feel the same or let them ride the same way they have been for years…probably less likely.  If your buying a board, invest in it,  get the nice one.  Its likely that you keep it for awhile and like it more.

Signature

Brian Wennersten

tech team rider Ocean Rodeo sports
Instructor Kittyhawk kiteboarding

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-05-22

PM

the mako king is great in waves, especially wind swell that doesn’t really line up.  When they start peeling its time for the surfboard for sure.  I think a high end TT is a good investment because it will likely be the board you ride the most.

Signature

Brian Wennersten

tech team rider Ocean Rodeo sports
Instructor Kittyhawk kiteboarding

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Recently went for a 130 Mako and love it to bits. Only wish I’d done it more sooner. Suits me fine at 65 kilos. Smooth as silk in our choppy conditions and is a super carver in the small waves that I’ve had it out in. It truly is a remarkably smooth ride in the chop - my knees have never felt so good. Also have the 5’11” OR surfboard and am just getting to grips with it. An 8m Razor is my biggest kite with a 2010 Rise 7m for the high end gusty stuff. I can get out and have fun in as little as 15 to 16mph. Brilliant stuff!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

First I’d like to clarify I’m a slow learner. I struggled with getting upwind until I tried the MAKO ( the original narrow 150). I acquired the wide MAKO 150 a few years later & this year added the MAKO 130 ...  It took a couple sessions (some steady wind !!!) to realize that I could (should) have been on the 130 years ago ... Any one coming from windsurfing knows smaller IS better when conditions are right (steady & moderate to strong wind). If anyone out there hasn’t tried this little puppy (MAKO 130) do yourself a favor & get on it !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2009-10-10

PM

Instant upwind and that “I get it now” moment the first session I switched to a mako 150 wide as a beginner.  It really progressed my skill set quicker than if I had stayed on the bulky TT.  Frustration was setting in until i got the board and what a great board it is.

JD