2011 Fusion Bar—Difficulty Depowering
Posted: 11 July 2011 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2007-05-22

Hello, I am having issues with the depower on my 2012 bar cleat system.  I have had OR bars for 4 years, and never encountered this.  When I try to sheet in the depower line either does not move at all or can only move an inch or so.  When I yank on it,  i can see the leading edge move towards me, rather than the line come through the cleat.  I have tried depowering with the bar all the way out, all the way and in between.  Again, it is very odd because I have never had this issue before with my older bars, or with the 2012 bar when it was brand new.  Any ideas on causes and how to fix?  Thanks!

Posted: 11 July 2011 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

Undo the 2 screws which hold the top onto the chicken loop and see if any foreign objects have got in the works. Apart from that I am lost as it hasn’t happened to my bars

Posted: 11 July 2011 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2006-01-19

I removed the mini - fifth line from the body of the chicken loop assembly & tied the end to a S.S. ring my side of the bar (where it comes through the center of the bar) ... I detached the rope from the S.S. ring @ the kite side & attached a pulley ... The result is less drag ... I added a larger ball @ the depower & am considering a pull start handle from a lawn mower !!! 

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 11 July 2011 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2007-05-22

Thanks—will take it apart tonight—start low-tech.

Posted: 12 July 2011 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-12-12

Mention of the mini-fifth line, here. Are we talking about the Fusion bar(2011) ? Anyhow, I had the chance to test the OR Rise 15m LW 2011 equipped with this Fusion Bar. NEXT TO IMPOSSIBLE to trim when loaded….and 12-13 knts is a load with the 15m. Back to square one with tne new OR bar ?!?! No pulley=more friction, makes sense no?. I prefer the trim under the bar, but this has to be smooth and easy, like it was with the 08 and 09 bar ( I had the good sense to keeep my old bars which I ride with my newer Rise).
Else, I released in light wind, to check with the safety. The kite is supposed to roll over and do a “smiley”. This did not happen.
Question: should I expect a complete roll-over with the fusion bar ??

Otherwise, the OR 15 m would be a great LW machine as I rode along with the Zephyr’s and Flysurfer’s no problem last Sunday.

Posted: 12 July 2011 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-05-26

Other think to check is the pulley on the depower line.  I had sand inside the rubber housing that kept the line from sliding through the pulley, which gave me the same symptoms you describe.  I just took the rubber housing off and it worked fine after that (this was an earlier year bar, so they may not still be using that same pulley housing).

Posted: 12 July 2011 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Sorry, it was the FUSION I moded.

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2011 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-12
AGK - 12 July 2011 01:06 PM

Other think to check is the pulley on the depower line.  I had sand inside the rubber housing that kept the line from sliding through the pulley, which gave me the same symptoms you describe.  I just took the rubber housing off and it worked fine after that (this was an earlier year bar, so they may not still be using that same pulley housing).

I was refering to the 2011 Fusion bar . This model has NO pulley. The trim line goes trough a SS ring. Added friction, here !!!!

Image Attachments
Fusion bar.png

Posted: 13 July 2011 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Look up a few posts ... Thats what I changed

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2011 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-12
jl - 13 July 2011 12:07 AM

Look up a few posts ... Thats what I changed

This is the thing to do, I guess.. But this pulley should come with the bar !!!!!
Did you test your setting to check if the kite does a complete roll over when safety release is actuated?

Posted: 13 July 2011 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Why wouldn’t it ?!

Signature 

Posted: 14 July 2011 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10
flex23 - 12 July 2011 11:25 PM
AGK - 12 July 2011 01:06 PM

I was refering to the 2011 Fusion bar . This model has NO pulley. The trim line goes trough a SS ring. Added friction, here !!!!

We have a new shipment of Fusion Bars arriving with the pulleys installed and have spare pulley blocks in stock (as of yesterday). If you want a pulley block sent to you please simply email your address to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and we will have one sent out.

BTW - NO, in no way does not having a pulley block affect the bar’s safety system. The line is still free to travel, however it is just stiff when under load. I’ve personally tested / activated the Fusion bar safety a number of times and had no concerns what-so-ever.

John Z

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 15 July 2011 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2010-05-21

I found Sailcoat on sale at West Marine. A couple of squirts on the depower line where it enters the chicken loop body works wonders. Put it on the line when it is dry and clean and put a little on the ball bearings in the pulley. Works wonders and lasts longer than any other teflon type lubrication spray.

Signature 

All I need are some tasy waves, a cool buzz and I’m fine…Jeff Spicoli