Any planns for a Racetype (similar to the airush Sector) board?
Posted: 26 August 2011 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2007-07-28

Hey there everyone.

I (and my missus) have the Mako 140x40, 150x40 and a King. The recent time I´ve been ut on the King (in TT-mode) a lot and love it to bits!

Though now, I´m more and more intersted in some race type board and the Airush secor seams like a very interesting concept for the ones of us that do not plan to do REAL racing but more as a mean to expand kiteboarding and cruising. The true race boards out here looks more like they would be very hard to master for us weekend warriors (office rats).

Do OR plan to get into this segment?

I think these boards and type of kiting will take off in the same manner as wave kiting has done the last 5 years (Ive been riding since 2001).

Ride safe.

/Urban.

Posted: 26 August 2011 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-08-21

There was an ad in my local paper yesterday about kiteboard racing locally and trying to make it a more popular event….lots of talk about it being in the Olympics in Rio too…Would be sweet to see the addition of kiteboarding for sure!

Posted: 15 November 2011 01:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-09-08

i ride the mako king and I love it.  i also just bought the sector 60 and it is great; not as fun as the mako but seems a much better option than a pure raceboard for the true lightwind days.

Posted: 15 November 2011 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-12-27

Good stuff Cuddy,..
For those that have dedicated light wind boards,...what features do you dislike / like with your current board??

Posted: 15 November 2011 03:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2007-04-23

Richard,

My light wind board is the Placebo surfskate. Its like a snubnose surfboard, 5’0x19.5"x2.25”. Its tuflite construction and really really fun.I ride it strapless and love this board for most other conditions as well, but it excels in light wind. Only problem is that it doesnt have the durability for kiting. Wish you guys would come out with a similar surf design, shorter and wide. Built for strapless airs and the like. Just my 2 cents..

Posted: 15 November 2011 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-09-18

had a 15 mile trip on the cypher riding my sector 60 a couple of weeks back-the sector is truly awesome -kite’s not bad either lol,recent trip to cyprus and sector really was the tool to have -i was out on the 2012 10m razor when no one else had a chance -still not had the rise out with it tho as yet ,will post some kite reviews.
but must say the sector rocks-preordered a few of the new ones eta april 1st

Signature 

http://www.southwaleskitesurfing.co.uk

Posted: 15 November 2011 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  172
Joined  2005-12-27

great feedback,...we’ll have a good look at the sector.

Posted: 16 November 2011 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-09-08

WARNING this video will make you want to buy a sector 60.  To be fair this guy could ride a piece of plywood and make it look great.  Its shot in ventana and probably on more wind than the typical user would bother taking out their sector 60 (id be on my mako king in this wind).  Its also worth noting that he is riding on its edge more than you probably would on that typical low wind day.  I had a hard time getting used to riding it flat to let the shaped quad fins get the board up on plane. 

all that being said it allows for a tiny kite.  the other day at locust I was outweighing the other riders by ~30-40 lbs and all i had was as old 10m bullaroo and my sector 60 (10m rise is being fixed); they were on 12’s and I had the easiest time staying upwind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flVyxyILbT8

It’d be great to see the minds at OR take on this board with a low wind weapon that was MAKO-like I didn’t buy the sector 60 to race, i bought it to get off the beach. i have kids and a job and when i can go I want to go!  The more fun the end product the better.

Posted: 16 November 2011 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

I have the king , a 6’ kite surf board and a home made sectorish raceboard.
Surfboard and king work in roughly the same wind conditions with the king being the goto unless the waves are really clean.
Race board is now in its 3rd generation and uses tuttle boxes and wind surfer fins.
Things I have found.
1 fin position is critical.  You drive off the fin so your fins must be inline with the centre of thrust from your feet.
2 foot position is a pain . To far forward the nose won’t ride chop. To far back the board drags. To far out it is difficult to carve on to toeside for the gybe and hell to do waterstarts because the board stays on its edge and carves straight up wind. To far in and you tend to put the board on is edge which ruins the effect of the fins This and above is why I am on the 3rd board.
3 Nose lift You need more than you think. a normal board you use the edge so it will cut through waves . A race board is run flat so the nose has to get over waves.
4 Deck needs to be rounded so you feet are at a nice angle when riding. Flat decks and boards flat on the water make painful ankles .

Fins
In the light I use 2 x 1’6” Mr Dice and Mr Slice The advantage with tuttle boxes or the similar is fins are readily available
I have tried 2 and multiple fin layouts and have found 3 or 4/ fins gives good tracking but are a pain to turn. 2 big buggers goes up wind nearly as well but can also be carved for small waves.

Wind range.
With a 14m Razor as soon as the kite will fly. by 10 to 12 mph a smaller kite is needed.

Construction need to be strong with a ply stringer. there is no point having a fun board if you are fearful of getting airborne.
The Sector shape is good for early plaining and fun whilst still retaining upwind performance but will never be a true race board the. North race board leaves it for dead but the North is uncomfortable and is only for those who want full on racing.
The main problem with all of the “race” style is cost.  An effective solution is to buy old windsurfers cut the end of fit a couple of fin boxes ( One robed from the old board) move the toe straps forward and away you go foe less than £150

Posted: 16 November 2011 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2010-09-18

defo not an out an out racer but but as you can ride them toeside has its advantages if you can hold the speed through your turns,upwind it screams-downwind is manic if your looping a razor grin)))))some pics here,not of my looping effort tho as kept crashing,or just jumping off lol
http://www.facebook.com/media/upload/photos/simple/?set=a.260577397326793.85493.100001236050635#!/photo.php?fbid=260982730619593&set=a.260577397326793.85493.100001236050635&type=3&theater;
had a head to head with the north race and it left it for dead upwind !!!! prob due to the larger fins-biggest down side to the true racers is having to ride them flat so for your average joe just tearing about a true race boards not the answer -your legs are gona be on fire !!,with these you can ride hard off the rails and carve about all day long-unless the rider your up against is a demon on a race board youll probably gonna smoke em on one of these due to the ease of use ,RT-after youve tryed mine (unless youve used one)youre gona be flat out in your workshop -locals need lock there old windsurfer boards up RT be round with the saw grin
south coast chainsaw massacre :-0

Signature 

http://www.southwaleskitesurfing.co.uk

Posted: 16 November 2011 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2007-04-23

cross the light wind capabilities of the sector with the freestyle surf design, make it light but as bomber as possible and your onto something.. cabrinha has the skillit, airush has the choptop, etc.. Fun boards good in light wind and small top medium surf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGBrYp8kl68