2012 10m razor

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

Had a full day on my new 10 meter razor. 15 to 20 knots on my skim and surfboard. i personally have a hard time finding a kite to suit my needs. i ride strapless 100% of the time and prefer a kite that powers through a turn as opposed to the traditional bow kite that lets up a bit through turns.  i was very impressed! i didnt have a 2011 razor but i did log some hours on them through demos. the 2012, in my opinion, is much improved. the kite feels and looks like a c-kite in flight. it also feels like the range has increased compared to last years kite. fast turning, grunty, and super stable. one of the things i noticed and really like is that it turns fast and doesnt race across the window and then just stop like most bow kites. the last oceanrodeo kite i had was a 2010 rise. this is an enormous improvement and i look forward to many more days on my razor.

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

Day 2 on the new razor was lighter and in the waves. The thing pulls like a truck even in lighter wind. Forgot to mention that the trim is really smooth. I never used the trim line for my 2010 rise because the sheeting allowed for so much depower. This kite needs the depower line especially when it’s gusty, which it was for me both days. I trimmed my kite more over the last 2 days than I did in the last 2 years. So effortless though! Another major improvement from the 2010 rise kites I used to ride.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-08-03

PM

Which bar did you use?

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

2009 ocean rodeo freeride with 2012 freeride mod kit.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-08-03

PM

That means still below-the-bar depower? I am doubting about which bar to buy, the fusion or the freestyle since I don’t like below-the-bar depower but I like the large throw of the fusion and freeride bar…But you say the-below-the bar trim is improved?

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

Found it to be much improved. I prefer below the bar trim myself. I had all kinds of trouble with my rise and the trim getting stuck. Not an issue with the new kite and bar mod kit.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

Saleeba, I agree with your assessment of the 2012 Razor 10m, I’m about to go out for my 4th day in a row on it. Got man-flu, but it’s too addictive to stay inside and sniffle!

I wrote my thoughts on this blog post http://www.skyhooked.co.uk/2011/09/ocean-rodeo-razor-2012-best-yet/

The 2011 Razor was a kite I was excited about but the 2012 surpasses it in all areas, noticeably top end wind range, perfectly weighted steering and appreciably improved stability when you’re rushing downwind towards it on a good wave. Backstall seems to have been eradicated too.

I ran a demo the weekend just gone and the feedback about the 2012 Razor was overwhelmingly positive with more than one rider calling it the best kite they have ever flown.

It’s hard not to get carried away when talking about this kite but everyone I have passed it to has come back off the water with a huge grin on their face.

I think the 2012 Razor is right on the money for what ambitious wave riders, powered freeriders and freestylers are looking for and for the demands that type of rider makes on a kite. Three hard sessions in and I’m still looking for defects - haven’t found any yet though :D

Signature

Out there somewhere, takin’ it easy…

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

If you’re thinking about buying a new kite don’t make any rash decision….Make sure that you read Dom Moore’s review of the 2012 Ocean Rodeo Razor. The 2010 version was amazing. Get out and give the 2012 razor a demo and you’ll see what he’ talking about. You can find the review in his Blog, the link is in the above post or on twitter @SurfSanctuary @oceanrodeo This kite is one giant leap for manki…I mean Ocean Rodeo! Signing off to bless Chewton Bunny with my 8m!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I got in 6 days on one of the proto 2012 10m razor. I loved it right from the beginning. First thing you notice is instant reaction and speed while turning the kite. It stays powered through the turn. I love my 2011 Razors but have already put my order in for the 2012 10 & 12. My 2011 8 & 6 will do just fine until next summer. I haven’t flown the 12 yet but ordered one anyway as the turning speed in the bigger sizes is where I see the big advantage. I did notice more bar pressure but not enough to be a big negative for me. Range seemed to be improved also with good low end and flies great when depowered in high gust conditions that are common here in the Gorge. Another thing i like is the kite will sit on the beach better because of the new leading edge profile. Very helpful when self landing! Great job OR!

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Do the 2012 Razors still have good slack for passing the bar?  I have the 10m and 15m arriving today, but ...... I’m damn impatient and curious.

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

Day 3 on the razor impressed again!!! Other dudes on 12’s and 14’s and I was on my 10 and surfboard doing laps… Head high surf with side on wind. This is the perfect kite for my style (strapless). I love that it powers through turns unlike other SLE kites. The low end is really nice. Can’t imagine what the 12 is like?

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

I bet the 2012s are pretty nice.  Never been a fan of kinks but if it can improve on the original is must be a pretty sweet kite.  The Razor is the first kite in 8 years that has me completely satisfied.  Fits me like a glove.  The 10 is practically a one kite quiver for me,  but I just cant sleep nights without having a small kite at the ready!  Rode the 6m for hours the day hurricane Irene brushed us with her fingertips and was powered on both wake and surf.  Hard for me to imagine anything more intuitive, but I dont doubt it can be done.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Razor on left, Rise on right

Total Posts: 125

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Thought I should chime in with some thoughts on the 10m as well…

Background:
The 2012 10m is replacing my long serving 10m 2008 Rise. My other kites are a 6m 2008 Rise, and an 8m 2009 Rise. Before purchasing the new Razor I managed to log maybe a couple hours on the 2011 8m Razor. At this point, with only ~3 hours on the 2012,  I can hardly claim to be an expert Razor rider, but can certainly let you know how different it is from the Rise.

Notes:
I flew the 10m on factory settings the first day. The kite was definitely a lot faster than my old 10m Rise. As most now know, the loops on the Razor are quick, and very smooth. I was mildly surprised it wasn’t just a bit quicker though, but I chalk this up to the fact that I had only flown the 8m Razor previously, and of course it just shreds all over the window, looping like crazy. So for a 10m, this is quick right out of the bag.

Whether it’s because I’m a bit shorter or tend to have bad form, I found with the Rise I would sometimes find myself ‘squatting’ a bit, as when I sheeted all the way in the kite would start to drop back in the window and lose power. To compensate I would have to squat out a bit so as to hold edge but get the bar further away. With the Razor I can put all my weight right back and push my hips further forward for maximum edging power. With the bar right tight to the loop it holds form and still flies beautifully. Now I can lean back far enough to literally kiss the chop.

I found on the factory setting the kite was a bit (and this is mostly comparing it to the 8m 2011 Razor) slow to initiate the turn from neutral. However once the kite had traction and movement in it, it became extremely responsive and quick. Low end definitely seems pretty good. Although the high end isn’t what you get with the Rise, I was surprised at how easily the kite depowered and how much I could dump just through sheeting. I think the 2012 may have more top end than the 2011, but have no firm opinion on that as of now.

I changed to the ‘fast’ turning setting the 2nd day. It made the 10m feel nearly as fast as the 8m Razor, and compared to the 10m Rise, it looped seemingly twice as fast (and smooth). You definitely do lose some of that loft and glide from the Rise (which I absolutely love for a nuking day). But after some practice the Razor really jumps fantastically. I thought having to work the kite a bit while in the air would scare me a bit, but it has been less of an adjustment than I anticipated, and with the power delivery so smooth, continuing to learn to downloop landings on bigger jumps is going to be more fun.

This kite loops and turns so quickly when set this way that in some cases it was actually holding me back. Learning tricks that require big ‘truck driver’ loops of constant pull is a bit tricky with such a spunky kite. I am thrilled with the smooth power for such tricks, but am still adjusting to how to slow this sucker down through the loops. However this is mostly just something I’ll need to practice more. I prefer having the super speedy loops available and having to master slower ones, as opposed to previously not having the option of such quick and smooth loops.

Conclusion
Absolutely loving the 10m. I also think Brent has a good point:

Brent4336 - 11 September 2011 02:06 PM

The 10 is practically a one kite quiver for me,  but I just cant sleep nights without having a small kite at the ready!

I think if I can swing it I will switch out my old 8m Rise for a new Razor. My only hesitation is whether to add a 6m Razor for the nuking days, or stick with a 6 or 7m Rise or equivalent SLE for those high and gusty winter winds. Just not quite sure how it will handle the really gnarly conditions. If it’s that windy I may not want be looping my kite twice a tack anyway, but we’ll see!

Like most of you, I’m amazed at how OR (and honestly, all good kite companies) manage to produce better and better kites every year. You’d think there would be a limit to performance gains on a tarp on some strings, but they just keep getting better, and not just tiny improvements, but quite considerable ones!

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Stoked for you.

On the stance thing.  I remember a Lou Wainman quote that has stuck with me. 

“if you can see you board, your doing it wrong” 

He’s dead on.  You shouldn’t see your board any more than you should see your feet while you walk.

P.S.  the razor is now in 5m 7m instead of 6m.

7/10 is a nice split.

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Just realised I should have posted my review here rather than the 2011 thread.

Managed a session on the 10m Razor on a Fusion bar. Thanks to Richard for the demo and bringing the gear all the wall from Cornwall to North Wales. Not the most pleasant of journeys on a Friday evening that one. I cant thank him enough for his support at Vansurf every year.

Firstly I think it’s worth stating that I’ve been riding the 2010 Rises and using them for freeriding a good mix of basic hooked in tricks and dabbling into the world of unhooked stuff. Conditions on the day were a 20-25mph. I’m pretty much in agreement with what everyone else is saying on here

First thing I noticed was the constant drive through the turns. The Rise does have power in the turn but there’s no real increase as the kite accelerates through the down turn. The Razor however pulls and will pull harder on a big loop. The kite is incredibly well behaved but it’s also quick so put it in the wrong place during a trick with some bad bar control and you’ll know about it. Saying that ask it to sit and stay, it will without any issues. It’s stupid stable sitting at the side of the window, even moreso than the Rise.

Jumping is an interesting comparison. With the Razor you have to work at it and good technique brings the rewards. The kite pops you up high and quickly. Bad technique and you get a low, down wind flat jump. (I really need to work on it). You come down quickly as well and down wind. The Rise lifts you off the water and holds you there. It can also put you down very gently if required. Unhooked the Razor is a monster. First Raley was simply daft, I can see the benefits to the advanced freestyle people. Unhooked the Rise can stall a little while it continues to really pull. One occasion I completely missed my take off and lost the bar. The Razor just sat there while I pulled in on the leash and hooked back in.

One final note is how the kite behaves with the fusion bar. This is a real winner combination. The additional throw on the bar with combined with the Razor is a joy. It was so reluctant to backstall in the conditions we were flying that I could basically adjust the trim to suit the power that I wanted. The Rise has a sweet spot. The Razor just pulls depending on how much wind and how you’ve trimmed it. It’s given me another dilema as I was seriously tempted by the trim strap on the Freestyle bar in lieu of the under the bar trim but the additional throw was areal joy

To summarise the Rise makes everything easy. It lifts you off the water and will hold you ther nicely. Power in abundance and a huge range. The Razor is stupid stable, still has range and really rewards good technique. It’s quicker and more direct with and angle more towards the unhooked freestyle move as and waveriding.

I now have a problem. Rise or Razor.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village