One 12m - review from kite novice

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2006-10-16

PM

Hi all!

I am very happy owner of a 2006 OR One 12m. I got a good “late season” deal and decided to invest my money in a modern Bow kite.

This is not a review, I just want to share my (short) experiences to other novice kite surfers. I still just have just one session with the One, but it was enough to realize how amazing kite this is!

Photo. Me and my virgin flight with the OR One. Very happy smile (even if the weather in Finland mid october is not that warm…)

I started out kitesurfing this spring on a North Rhino C-kite. It is a couple of years old, so I guess a newer Rhino probably would be better, but the difference between the One and the “old Rhino” is absolutely awsome.

I feel as a beginner, the most diffucult thing to learn is to master the power of the kite. With the Rhino, I was always a bit “nervous” when flying, especially when we most often have very gusty winds here in Finland. To get “lifted” when you not want to, is not fun, espacially as a novice. I know some “to-be” kiters that stopped kiting because of this. I have also felt that this “nervous”-feeling have slowed down my progression as a kiter.

With the One, I have never been so confident in my short kiting career. And this is thanks to the INCREDIBLE power control. You don’t beleive it until you try One or another bow type kite.  Have the kite fly smoothly without practically no power, pull the bar and you will have lots of power. This is a fantastic feeling!

Power-control and especially the de-powering is the number one reason for getting this kite as a novice. But what you also get is excellent turning and control, and smooth and very continues power.

The only area where I actually felt that the Rhino was better was water re-launching. But this is probably a matter of technique (and I have done lots of them with my old Rhino). Also the conditions at the spot on my virgin flight had quite big swell that “dragged” the kite down in the water.

So my final words. Thank you Bruno (Legainoux) for developing this excellent type of kite and thank you Oceon Rodeo for making a superb kite to a reasonable price.

And for you newbies, wondering wether to buy a C- or Bow kite. Don’t wonder any more, get a One from Oceon Rodeo and get out there and learn this great sport!

Autumn kite greatings from
Micke in Åbo, Finland

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

I’m getting the 12 and 16 this year can’t wait haven’t tried one yet, but nice to see a review from someone learning, you need a pyro dry suit now, that’s awesome, I would kiss the guys ass who invented that, oops did I write that. oh well.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

this guy is drinking, and kiting
i like it

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Hey 000044105 - unless you are a heavyweight, the 16m One may not be a great lightest-wind kite. I’m not dissin’ the One, I bought a 12 and 9 this year and absolutely love them, but they are built to last, typical OR solid construction. Also the Ones are 7-strut kites,  further adding to the weight - my 12 One is definitely heavier than my previous 12m Bronco.

Remember the mantra of the One - built to be your 1-kite quiver. The 16 is built for 200+ lb guys riding in 12 - 20 knots.

A large Diablo ( 16 or 18 ) might be a better choice for light air and still get the awesome OR durability. I prefer foils for the mellow stuff - maybe a 13 or 17 m FS SPEED - who wants to pump up a BIG inflatable for light air ?

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Oops - looks like the OR crew are all over weight of the 16 - see John Z’s comments in “The new 14m One” post by pds on Sep 25 :

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:13 am  

Both the new 14 and 16 will be made with a slightly more modest construction approach. This is not to say cheaper or with any less attention to detail. It is to say that we have recognized that some of the bomb proof construction techniques we use with the smaller kites, that are flown in more sever weather environments, are not needed on a light wind kite. As such we have shaved some considerable weight off the kites and have increased the turning speeds considerably while also allowing them to opperate much better in true light wind conditions.

John Z - OR

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Micke,

Keep up the good work mate, I love reading about other people loving the OR gear, keep us posted on your progress!

Ben

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

If you think the 12 One is good now just wait to you start jumping on it .Get ready to floating around and a sooo soft landing I have not found better. Ho wilst I remember if you do screw up let go and you don’t get spanked. Mind due if you like a good spanking just hang on :twisted: .

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

And a hearty welcome the OR Crew Micke!

OR - Worldwide

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Hey GregKnowles, I hear what your saying, I’m holding off on purchase of the 16 One, I have a flysurfer 13 psycho2 so I was also interested in the Speed 17, I’m over 200lbs so a heavy weight I guess, I’ve got flydoor and hopefully I’ll get my Mako that Purolator has lost in shipment, will wait and see what the hell happens

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2006-10-16

PM

Need a drysuit now!

Thank you all for your comments.

As Jason mentioned, I NEED a drysuit now! The autumn winds are picking up here, but it is getting so damn cold. And I feel that everytime you go out in cold conditions with a wetsuit, you end up getting the flue or something. (I’ll have to see if I can get a good deal on a OR suit :wink: )

I’ll keep you all posted on my progression and post some photos every now and then. Currently I am struggling with the balance on the board and stying upwind, so you won’t see any cool jumping photos, yet…  8)

It’s strange how difficult this can be. I mean, I have been windurfing for 20 years and consider myself a bit of pro in that area. Still I have a very hard time to balance the power of the kite, edging the board etc etc. Is there a “secret solution” to this, or is just a lot of practice that is needed?

Finally, winter is coming soon here. In 2-3 months we will have snow and ice on the lakes. I’ll do some new posts when I have some snow sessions with the ONE as well.

Regards
Micke