Ocean Rodeo Surfboards for 2012

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

I’m getting excited to see the new Surfboards. The Bamboo veneers are a killer addition, as well as the quad-fin option.

The information I have seen is limited and I’m interested in widths, thicknesses, accurate outlines, rail shapes, and descriptions of rocker lines, also fin placement, sizes, shapes, etc.

Often a “brochure” such as what can be linked to on this site, shows inaccurate outlines, so I’m not sure if we’re getting an accurate visual of what the new line offers.

This is an exciting line-up for Ocean Rodeo. I want more info.

Anyone? D

Signature

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

We’re just working on the new web pages for these boards,..should be online in about a week. We’ll include feature shots and specs.
Action shots should be rolling in over the next few weeks as well from various sources. Thanks for the interest!

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

Thanks.

As I said, low-light-angle photo images of the rails, bottom contour, rocker line, etc. are very helpful in getting an idea of what is offered.

Know that many buyers are educated board riders and most wish for more than a generic top and bottom shot like most of the other brands are giving.

Thanks again. Good Stuff!

Signature

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2010-05-09

PM

the new 2012 surfboard pics have arrived…drool!

-wade.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

wadoepotatoe - 09 November 2011 03:18 AM

the new 2012 surfboard pics have arrived…drool!

-wade.

details, I need details!  5’11’’ x ? x ? etc etc

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Just click on them & the details appear: http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/surf-series

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

jl - 09 November 2011 04:58 AM

Just click on them & the details appear: http://oceanrodeo.com/kiting/surf-series

No they do not !

Only size is the length, how about width.. please spell it out for me. I do not see it.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Oops. It only works for the Classic thrusters , sorry

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

1956….....if you look really close at the picture, it looks like the length/width/depth are written on the board. I’m anxious for some details or reviews as well. Some pics of the straps (yeah I still use them quite a bit) would be nice.

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

Place more info, length alone is not enough. How wide and thick are they. Whats the wheight? Whats the volume?

Wave riding is getting more popular but testing is quite difficult so the extra info can give you a good push in the right direction for chosing your board.
So lame that most companies only give the lenght of a board. Like bying a car, its 5m long….. yeah and…. what about the rest? :D

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

ajones - 09 November 2011 01:08 PM

1956….....if you look really close at the picture, it looks like the length/width/depth are written on the board. I’m anxious for some details or reviews as well. Some pics of the straps (yeah I still use them quite a bit) would be nice.

I see that, but you can not make it out clearly.

Total Posts: 152

Joined 2007-06-26

PM

5,7 x 17 3/4 x 2 3/32

5,11 x 18 13/16 x 2 3/16

http://www.kitehigh.nl/forum/index.php?topic=40565.msg586870;boardseen#new

Signature

on fire

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Thanks man, any similar shots of the 6’3” ??

Rocker profile (side shot) in the gallery section of the boards web page maybe.

both of those are a bit narrow for us lake landers.  Look like great real deal coastal boards for those who get surfable swell.  Are you guys advising the classic thruster as your small wave groveller?

Hope I dont come off sounding like a spoiled child asking for more when these are brand new to the line up, but I hope you guys consider a “small wave” board someday. 

The shorter, fuller outlined, lower rockered, quad fin modern fish DNA type boards are a clear winner for us lake people.  Not quite as sexy looking, but much better suited to the gutless, slow, wind driven onshore stuff a huge portion of your market deal with consistently.  Much earlier planning than the classic shortboard that are really only decent for us on the biggest of days.  Lots of surf companies with the right shapes out there already, where the market needs help is making em tough enough to handle the airs and abuse they take under a kite without being stiff heavy bricks.  Light and snappy is so key to the fun factor in small little waves.  As a bit of a request if you ever go this route, please do what you can to avoid the classic sharp tipped split fish tails.  A lot of riders are learning to “shove it” tack and punt airs.  I have taken it to the arch and thigh a couple times.  Only thing I would change on my current board.  A simple squash tail with no pointy bits just like what is in the current line up… Please!

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Any info on the pads/straps?

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

I agree, more info. on the surfboards is needed.  Weight/ volume/ and flex would be nice to know.  Nothing beats getting to take one out for a demo session, but not everyone is going to have that opportunity.

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Gavin - 13 November 2011 05:10 PM

I agree, more info. on the surfboards is needed.  Weight/ volume/ and flex would be nice to know.  Nothing beats getting to take one out for a demo session, but not everyone is going to have that opportunity.

5’11” = 18.82” wide, 2.2” thick, 26 liter volume, 14.6” tail.

6’3” = 19” wide, 2.3” thick, 29 liter vol, 14.45” tail.

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

I for sure wanna try both of those!!!!

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Thanks for the additional info. 

Next round of questions:

Weight (excluding straps) per board size?  This is fairly important.  I would like to compare the OR boards with standard surfboards using foam/glass construction.  Keep in mind, a board being super light is not always the best.  I just don’t want to buy another (epoxy) board like the Best 6’ Thruster - heavy and rigid.  Kinda like my first girlfriend.

Do the boards ride upwind well?

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Hey Gavin,
We’ll post the weights early next week,...(fins and strap’s off).

I’ve been using all three 2012 directionals,...and they’re all similar in feel.
The surprise is how well the 6"3” rides…fast, rips up wind, turns great. For me, this will be my main board to ride strapless at 190 lbs.
Foot work is really easy with extra deck space, volume and full eva deck.
The 5’7” is really quick and nimble with great upwind and slash performance. I’ll use this strapped on windier days.
As I said all the boards are similar in feel,..they just get touch more lively in as you move down is size,..

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

RM, can you speak to the questions of shape, volume, rocker, etc.? Can you speak to the request for low-light-angle photos that show well the shapes?

I hate to say it, but the photos of the bottoms of the 5’ 11” and 6’ 3” both clearly are the bottom of a 5’ 7”. I feel a little slimed by this, especially after posting this thread before the website and photos were updated. A thread post and questions that should help you sell boards….......a perfect chance for you’all to come through. I am an OR fan, trust me on that!

It is great that you like the boards and they do what you like them to do.

Many of us already own boards that we like, and wonder how a different shape (OR’s offerings) might compare, or are our current quivers similar to OR’s current offering.

..as I said initially, more information so that we informed board riders can make a decision while “surfing” the internet would be greatly appreciated.

It is winter here. I am starving for water and waves. I’d love to look at juicy photos of OR’s surfboards and make a confident, informed purchase, since a demo ride is “OOTQ” (out of the question).

Thanks ahead of time. DAVE in Alaska

Signature

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Got the message Dave,...I’m on it!

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

sorry for the sniping.

Like I said…..I’m starved.

And thanks.

........it DOES say “fast reply” at the bottom of the page here…....and you are fast.

Thanks again. D

Signature

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

RM, Thanks for the reply on the 2012 OR Surfboards. Here I am on a 4 degree above zero Fahrenheit morning in Anchorage…headed to the shop to work on my carbon fiber snow bike rims….he he.

...was looking at a Surfer’s Journal magazine and saw the Rusty’s advert.

Those guys know how to write an advert, and the photo’s they place there give it all to ya.

Find a TSJ (The Surfers Journal) issue and look at the Rusty’s advert…..........it is what we frustrated who shape our own boards and know what we like and desire will require of the information OR publishes about their surfoboard products.

.....just an idea, trying to help. DAVE

Signature

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

I’ve got the 5’11 here, if anyone is wondering about the ‘paddle in’ potential of this board, here are a few notes:

I took the 5’11 for a paddle after the wind died just to see ‘if I could’ at a clean, but fairly average beach break. I usually ride boards longer than 6’2 (I’m 6’, 190lbs there abouts) but nipping around a compact little beach break I would say I could not far off as many waves as I would on my regular board. Once you’re up and riding it, it has good acceleration and is compact enough to fit into tight little pockets. I’ll be using it a lot more this winter; this was a welcome and unexpected revelation.

This is not a skinny a board; someone earlier wondered if it would be too skinny for flat water antics. There’s plenty of deck space for gybes and fancy switches and you will love the generous, flat profile deck grip. The 5’11 I’d say has a realistic template for most conditions giving you a good mix of early planing and control, though If I was making the ultimate quiver, in winds over 25 knots I would to step down to the 5’7 with straps :D

I haven’t weighed it, but it will weigh more than a regular custom stick or one of the new breed of super-light boards with valves in them, but having ploughed my way through several of the former and creased a couple of the latter, I’ll take the strength/weight/chop smoothing ratio of the OR Quad for my kiteboards.

Someone asked if these boards were like some of the big, clunky pop-out style surfboards that have found their way onto the kiteboarding market over the years - I must say I haven’t seen any new versions of that type of board (though I do know exactly what you mean by them) and for sure the Quad bears no resemblence to them smile This is a sleek looking board that feels and looks good under your arm as you trot down to the water’s edge.

I’ve got some low-light shots here - let me know if you want to see anything specific and I’ll take some more…

Signature

Out there somewhere, takin’ it easy…

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

Dom, thank you!!!!!!!

My mouth watered as I looked through those…..maybe it was my fine Kaladi Brother’s coffee, but damn…...those are the kind of photos I want.

JZ took my comments the other day, so I’m hoping they’ll get some juicy shots for us.

...until then….Dom, would you mind putting up something that gives a good look at the bottom and how the concave shapes up? (any transitions in the concave) Something like that last shot, but with ALL the light from one side and low angle?

Also, one from the tail forward showing the rocker line and rail shape? Thanks!!!! Thanks!!!!! DAVE, it’s snowing again, from Alaska.

Signature

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

nice shots Dom! @BIG, the 5th shot from top with the measuring tape looks like a concave shot, by the DOF blur I’d say about 50cm forward from the fins. 5mm max?

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

I was hoping specifically for a shot showing any transition to the concave…or is it single concave from tip to tail….same depth, or what?

Thanks again!

Signature

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

that would be nice. From the reflections of the fins you might conclude the tail is pretty flat. Plus some excellent glassing!

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Ehem, could someone please weight the boards?  The 5’11” in particular.

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Here you go,..fresh off the scale,..

5’7” - 3.25 kg
5’11” - 3.75 kg
6’3” - 4.15 kg
Note this is for the board only, no deck pad or fins.

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Cheers on posting the board weights.  They’re a tad heavier than traditional foam/glass boards, but nothing too significant.  Should be good.  I’ll give the 5’11” at try and see how it goes.

Btw,  some of the pros (Mauritsio) at the KSP in Peru were saying a bit of weight in the board helps get some extra bite to drive thru the bottom turns, etc.  And, bamboo construction seems to be in vague (eg. north, f one).

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Ok going out on a limb here, but how about a OR Surf pass it on program? I know a surfboard is more of a pain to ship than a kite, but I would love to try one out before buying…....although I may just splurge.

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Stoked - should have a 5’11 in my hands next week!

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

Here’s a write up of my thoughts with the 5’11 quad-fin after a few weeks on it this winter. It’s more about how I feel the board rides
and where it sits in the market rather than technical info, hopefully will be useful or interesting to some of you smile

http://www.skyhooked.co.uk/2012/01/ocean-rodeo-surf-series-quad-fin-511-review/

Signature

Out there somewhere, takin’ it easy…

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

good review and great pics!

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2010-05-09

PM

any word on the production of the 6’3”?  thanks,

-wade.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

Dom_Moore - 05 January 2012 11:10 AM

Here’s a write up of my thoughts with the 5’11 quad-fin after a few weeks on it this winter. It’s more about how I feel the board rides
and where it sits in the market rather than technical info, hopefully will be useful or interesting to some of you smile

http://www.skyhooked.co.uk/2012/01/ocean-rodeo-surf-series-quad-fin-511-review/

Thanks for the info! So so so tempted smile

Signature

signature_image

Zero-to-hero, intermediate & advanced camps, courses, gap-years, AITC, girls-only camps and career-breaks for the discerning kitesurfer in you.

http://www.thekitesurfingcollective.com

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

very nice review and great shootage of real waves!

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Any reviews on the 6’3”, I may be in the market to upgrade. I’m 190 lbs, mostly riding smallish waist to chest high slop. Would the 5’11” or 6’3” work better?

I’m on a 5’10” now, and sometimes have issues staying upwind with it, but it may just be laziness as I get on a couple of waves and just go downwind with them.

Any thoughts?

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

Hey Dom. I finally read the review for which you provided the link. Nice writing style. Thanks.

Now…..I’m with ‘jones….....what about that 6’3”?????????? With pictures of rails, concave, and rocker line, please??!!!!!

Again, Thank you for the report on the 511

Signature

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

.....6’ 3” in hand! thank you John Zimmerman!!!!!

Record snow year here in Alaska…..so the photos I post will have snow in ‘em.

John…the wife unit loves the sexy underthings….(the ‘heater’ thermal layer) ........in XS, on her…..rocks me!!! Thanks again.

....... only photos of the board will be posted in the next days. smile DAVe

Signature

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

The 6’3” Ocean Rodeo Quad Surfboard is a thing of beauty. My promise to post some photos will be retracted as the shape appears to mirror that of the 5’11” photos that Dom Moore posted.

I’m thinking of posting a photo of the concave in the fin area, as Dom’s photos do not show the area well, and also a shot from tail to nose or nose to tail in order to illustrate the amount of rocker and nose flip. I will definitely be able to paddle into some waves with it!

The weight of the 6’3” Quad is greater than that exhibited by pure surfboards of similar length. I am NOT concerned whatsoever about the slight extra weight. It is similar in weight to a 6’4” Kane Garden Fish that my brother rides…...if that helps with weight comparisons.

Signature