Trouble Depowering 12m Rise w/ Freeride Bar

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-11-29

PM

The title pretty much says it all.  I’m a beginner, about 15 sessions on the water now in 4 months.  Able to stay up wind and more, small jumps, having a great time.  The problem is the only time I am able to pull down on my depower line is when the wind is very light and I wouldn’t need to depower.  It’s been suggested that I always have about an inch of depower in “so it doesn’t get stuck” but that hasn’t made a difference.  I’m riding a 2011 12m Rise and Freeride Bar.  Any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong or if I could possibly have something set up wrong or not working properly. 
Thanks!

Kiting in Kailua & Kaneohe Bays - Oahu

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi SnwbrdB, thanks for posting this and welcome to the Crew!
Cherish those first months, the progress and all the firsts!
I’m sorry to hear that trimming of the bar gives you some trouble. There are a couple of things you can try:
- try different pulling angles
- bear downwind a bit to get some tension off the lines
You’ll work it out for sure!
cheers,
Rudo

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

The if you have a load of twists in the depower rope between the swivel and the chicken loop this can make life a tad interesting. The friction of the twists prevents the ropes sliding past each other. This is especially so if the depower rope is showing wear. Also check the pulley and make sure the rope is free to rotate around it. I bit of sand stuck under the cover can make all the difference.
El Rudo is right about the angles of pull . In stronger winds the depower rope is driven harder into the teeth of the cleat and needs pulling out in line with the cleat rather than sideways.

Joined 2011-11-30

PM

Hey guys, tom here from Nova Scotia, demo’d the 2012 10m razor, well tried to,  it was 25-30 kts today here in laurencetown.  Must have had too much depower, greater than 50 cm line pulled.  Then as I was flying it on the beach, a very unusual characteristic happened, as it was pretty much only flying its own weight, it seemed to invert and then head straight for the tall hay on the other side of the beach.  Luckily a good buddy saved the day by limiting its thrashing.  Was it operator error here or what do you think happened?

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Sounds like slight under inflation. All SLE are more prone to this when fully depowered ,they do like some tension in the back lines. My own 8m went early this week . Back on the beach I pumped it up harder and it was fine even though the wind picked up.

Joined 2011-11-30

PM

Could be,  I’m old school when it comes to kites.  My old C-kite blew up this summer because of a loosening thread and possible overinflation.  So now I’m a little gunshy with the pumping.  Noticed 1 guy at the beach has a portable electric pump with digital gauge and uses a constant 10 psi for his kites.

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Tom, your kite should be pumped really hard - if not it won’t fly properly and it’s designed to take it!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Joined 2011-11-30

PM

Will do, was out with my expert buddy today and he said that you need also to maintain a constant angle of attack by limiting the bars depower.  In fact he tuned the bar I had for my old C-style OR Bronco so you always have “constant bar pressure”.  I think thats an easy fix for the razor as there is a trim tab to limit that as well.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Tom, I had the 2010 Freeride bar and now have the 2012 Fusion Bar. At first, I had the same issues with depowering the kite, it wouldn’t budge. Basically I figured out that if I want to trim the kite, I stop on a tack onshore set the kite to the side of the wind window and allow it to power down, and then pull the depower line out first and then down, and then re-cleat. It works well right overhead as well, but make sure you have a solid grab on the depower line.

If you try and just pull straight down it won’t work, the cleat holds. Which frankly, I’d rather have the cleat hold the depower line tight and worry with having to stop to depower than the alternative which is the depower line slipping out of the cleat when powered up.

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

All existing Fusion bars can be easily modified (see this page) to make the trim adjustment much easier. All new Fusion bars are shipping already modified. This mod essentially moves the mini 5th line outside the CL head similar to the Naish set-up and reduces the overall friction inside the CL when adjusting your trim. It seems like a small change but it makes a huge difference!

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-12-07

PM

Concerning the new mod on the 2011 bar, to allow easier powerline adjustment, where the mini-fifth safety line will now pass through a ring attached to the power line…won’t there be a risk of the mini fifth line being drawn into the teeth of the powerline adjuster cleat, as the power line is fed back into the cleat?

There has been some disussion on Kiteforum.com concerning the North bar, and the “wandering” fifth line safety line, getting stuck in the teeth of the power line adjuster cleat.

Here is a link to that thread, where there was some concern that the safety mechanism could be hobbled by the entrapment of this safety line.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2373457&p=727755

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Tom,

Great question. As you can see in the video (I reposted it below) the North Bar in question uses a cleat which is above the bar, similar to our Freestyle bar but with a cleat and not a ladder lock system like what we use. This is problematic as it is exposed and easily snags the 5th line when you are adjusting your trim.

The Fusion Bar Mod is a very simple to apply mod which routes the mini 5th line outside the CL Head exactly as Naish has done. This mod drastically reduces internal friction and makes trim adjustment much easier. The mini 5th is routed using a small O ring which holds the mini 5th line far away from the cleat. What’s more, the cleat itself is sheltered inside the CL housing, making it very difficult for the mini 5th to become snagged at all.

NORTH VIDEO - shows above the bar cleat snagging 5th line.

OCEAN RODEO FUSION BAR - shows below the bar trim adjustment and the ring used to hold the mini 5th line in place

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-12-07

PM

Thanks for the clarification.  Makes sense now.  The first time I watched the video, I thought the ring was being placed on the other end of the power line… the end that you pull on.  Opps, my bad!

I gotta say:  I am impressed with this kite forum.  With my first post, you quickly sent me an email with the answer to my question and gave me a well-though out and complete answer, including videos. 

So now, I guess, along with bragging about your Mako boards (I own 4 of them), I will have to include a brag about your forum.

Much appreciated.

Tom

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

I’m having problems depowering a 2010 or 2011 freeride bar. It was new, and has never worked well. I have 2 older OR bars that work like butter. I’ve put a handle on the end of the trim line, waxed it, kept the stopper away from the pulley, made sure the pulley is smooth, kept the trim lines untwisted, went downwind, depowered the kite, pulled the line downward first…just about everything suggested on this, and other threads.

It seems like the line is too thick for the path through the chickenloop. I avoid using this bar, which is a problem because the lines are immaculate, and I like the feel of the bar. Am I going to have to fork out for a newer chickenloop, or do I drill out the pathway? (I don’t want to do this at all, but am a little desperate to fix this bar.)

Thanks very much.

George

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2011-10-29

PM

Bear off downwind to get some slack/ power out of the kite. let the bar out, pull the side of the depower rope which leads into the cleat with left hand above the chicken loop and cleat and then use right hand to pull it through the cleat as normal. It is a bit more complicated than with a freestyle bar but once you get the knack it works really easily.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

James, thanks very much for the suggestion, I’ll try it. It’s disappointing to have to mess around with this when I want to depower as fast and safely as possible. Doesn’t seem to be any other option.

Anyone from OR with any ideas to make the bar work properly?

George