Ripped Out Inflation Secure Loop

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-11-29

PM

Had a little damage to my kite today.  It was run into by another kiter while floating secured to an anchor just after I had inflated it.  I don’t think this has impacted the flyability of the kite at all, but I’m not sure if it can be repaired.  I’ve attached two pics, the first showing the damage, and the second, what I’m thinking about doing to correct the problem.  Any thoughts or other options?

——————————-
Kiting Kailua and Kaneohe Bays, Oahu

Image Attachments

IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

It wont effect the flying characteristics of the kite at all. If your pump has a long enough lanyard you could get away with wrapping it under the centre strut (if your kite has a centre strut)as you pump up. You could also get a sail maker to carry out a professional repair and put it back to how it was or do as you indicate in the photo. I would consider a professional repair myself.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

It won’t affect the performance of the kite.  Since that is right next to the zipper on the LE, it would be easy to just sew it back exactly where it was.  slip one had thru the zipper opening and put about 20 stitches into it.  Use a heavy nylon thread (look for upholstry thread) that you can get at any sewing store or walmart.  Either remove the bladder or just be really careful not to poke it with the needle.

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

If you are OK with a needle one-handed ( one inside, one outside the LE pocket ), then put it back on as it was, and you won’t be concerned pumping or tethering your kite on a really windy day. If you decide to sew it back in place, first pop out the fill and deflate valves to allow the bladder to be moved well away from where you are sewing. You will be going though several layers of sail-cloth, you may want a pair of thimbles on to help push the needle through. Use a UV-treated heavy-duty polyester thread if you can find some rather than nylon. If you can’t find polyester, just tie the nylon thread down in a few extra spots & knots, and do some lock-stitches, as nylon has lower friction than polyester, and can slip knots and loosen easier.

When you are done and have re-installed the valves, put your hand in to feel around and check there are no twist, inflate slowly and watch for signs of twists in the bladder.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Well done Greg. By far the cheapest option grin

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-11-29

PM

Thanks for the help everybody.  I think I’ll attempt the proper repair myself tomorrow.