PM

Hi all,
Are there any? (10m..)
Thx!
Arjan

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

There must be something here. Much of the discussion of the 2012 Rise is embedded in discussion of the Razor.

I must say that the ‘12 Rise 10M is an upwind machine with long, smooth jumping, and can be ridden in a huge range of windspeeds.

You probably want more to read than one sentence, so go do a bit of searching.

The choice of 10M Rise or 10M Razor for 2012 has been agonizing for me. I am not convinced that I am finished making my choice, even though I though I had selected the Razor. Both are awesome kites. Each has its’ personality.

I’d probably say if a guy is looking for a kite with most wind speed range and best upwind, nothing, NOTHING will beat the Rise. Nothing! nothing.

nothing

Signature

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

The Razor has been extensively reviewed in a number of magazines ... UK’s Kitesurf Magazine did this review, iKsurfmag wrote this glowing review and Kiteworld has an excellent review coming out next month… I will link to it here when they officially release!

The 2012 Rise was reviewed by Kiteboarding Magazine, you can read the review here!

JohnZ!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thx guys!

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

The 2012 razor is really an amazing kite. I have a 10m and i’m in love with it. I had a friend try it one day and his response “that is a fun kite, I mean I haven’t flown a kite that fun ever”.  This kite has range, grunt, medium bar pressure, relaunches with ease, and rips waves to shreds!!! I can’t say enough about it. I only have the 10, as i’m a college student with limited funds and had to hold off on a smaller razor. I have a 2010 caution mayhem 7m as my small kite. I actually find myself choosing to ride on the days when I can use my razor, and opting not to go out if I might be forced to use the caution kite. Anyone that knows me at all knows I have always been down to get on the water in any and all conditions. I am spoiled rotten with the new razor. I dont like going out if I cant use my razor.. this kite is sick!

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I know the feeling.. I have that with my 8m 2011 Rise..
Looks like I have to try the 2012 10m Razor myself..

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

If the kite your looking for is going to be your biggest kite then the Razor is the way so you get the great bottom end for the light wind days. That is a no brainer.
The difficulty is what to go for on the second kite. I have used the 10m Razor and 10m Rise back to back and for me the rise has is it because it is “softer” kite to ride
The Rise builds up the power for a jump .The Razor explodes. The choice is your a great freeride kite which wind range and will do everything in a progressive manor or an top freestyle kite which you hit a switch and go.

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

sunrise - 18 December 2011 08:40 AM

If the kite your looking for is going to be your biggest kite then the Razor is the way so you get the great bottom end for the light wind days. That is a no brainer.
The difficulty is what to go for on the second kite. I have used the 10m Razor and 10m Rise back to back and for me the rise has is it because it is “softer” kite to ride
The Rise builds up the power for a jump .The Razor explodes. The choice is your a great freeride kite which wind range and will do everything in a progressive manor or an top freestyle kite which you hit a switch and go.

that is the best rationale statement I’ve yet heard. I agree wholly. DAVE

Signature

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

sunrise - 18 December 2011 08:40 AM

Spot on. Looks like Sunrise has been spending too much time kiting again.

I’ve gone to the 10m Razor after 2 years on a 11m Rise (2010). Flying the Razor the same way as I did with the Rise lead to many a wipeout. In short I used to fly the Rise quite aggressively to really push it and get the best out of it, especially when kitelooping. It responded to it beautifully without really ever trying to kill me. It’s a kite that looks after you. Now I’ve kind of calmed down a little (only a little) the Razor is becoming a very very sweet machine indeed. Pull a back loop and send the kite through a slow and gentle kite loop and it’s wonderful. It holds you through the loop and at the right moment pulls you out and away. The real beauty is that you can build up on the aggression and really rip with it too.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thx all.
Someone changed the title to Rise and Razor review.. i was looking for Rise 2012 reviews..is it a bit better in looping, pulling thru the loop without “backstalling”?
I’m leaning towards the Razor 2012 10m as my biggest kite (still got a 14m Rise) and use different boards (TT, Waveboard and Skim) but if the Rise has improved in loop and wave area i stick with the Rise.. (I like soft bar pressure..)

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

Janus, razors a good choice. I ride my skim 75% of the time and strapless surfboard the rest. The razor is really the perfect strapless kite. The low end truck like pull is very nice. 10m has the power of a 12, no joke!  The smaller the kite the better when it comes to waves for faster turning. Also, I found that the rise just flies too far forward in the window for strapless kiting. The razor, which sits back allows for jibes without the kite rushing to the edge of the window and then stalling for a second. The razor pulls you through the jibe nice and smooth like!! I also feel as though the razor is a little less user friendly which challenges the skill level of the kiter. more challenging = better kiter in the end.

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Today I’ve tried a 2012 10m Razor..
Nice !! fast steering, nice grunty pull, nice fast looping, it is all written already.

So how is the 2012 Rise looping? ..

Question for Razor riders: is the bar pressure on the fastest steering setting lighter then on middle setting?

What about sizing.. 10- 8- no 6? so 5 ??? or 10- 7- 5?  (edit again..: for 10 till 40 kts without probs..)

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

Janus - 25 December 2011 09:26 PM

Today I’ve tried a 2012 10m Razor..
Nice !! fast steering, nice grunty pull, nice fast looping, it is all written already.

So how is the 2012 Rise looping? ..

Question for Razor riders: is the bar pressure on the fastest steering setting lighter then on middle setting?

What about sizing.. 10- 8- no 6? so 5 ??? or 10- 7- 5?  (edit again..: for 10 till 40 kts without probs..)

Janus, 10M 2012 Razor in 40knots? Is that what you are saying?

What board and what do you weigh?

I’ve been on the 10M 2012 Rise in that wind speed….150x34 Mako…and I weigh 180 dry.

Haven’t been to 40knots on the Razor yet…would love to hear it will work.
Thanks. DAVE Merry Christmas!!!!

Signature

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Lol! A 10 in 40 kts with my weight..
No Dave,  I was not very clear, I mean which combo for 10 to 40 kts?
My weight is 70kg and I use TT, wave and skim..
Now I use 6, 8, 10 and 14 Rise for 10 till 40+ kts
I would love to scale down to 10 as my biggest kite but what sizes more?
10, 7, 5 (sounds logic) or 10, 8, 5 (not so logic)...
IMO are 3m steps in the smaller kites to big, better is to take 2m steps… No 6.. :-(

So what about the bar pressure in outer setting?

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

I just ordered a 7, and i’m planning on going with the 10/7 quiver. I have a feeling the 7 can hold down some hefty wind. I’ve been out on my 10 with short lines when its gusting over 30. The 7 with shorter lines will probably be able to handle gusts to 40 or so. in your case the skim and 10meter for the lighter days, and 7 and tt for higher end of the wind spectrum. probably wouldnt matter if you got the 7 or 8 if your planning on getting the 5meter. personally, smaller kites have also been more fun (faster turning) for me so I would get the 7.

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

Thanks for the clarification.

FYI…..my 6M Rise, several years old, has been ridden in 58 G 68 MPH (reported MPH on local anemometer, checked archives post session). It was survival, but, heh, survivable….my buddy broke a line on his new Ozone 7M..had to cut free…..kite GONE. I flew the area downwind of there after the wind event looking for it…GONE.  I towed him in…...talk about feeling the power, every big gust I felt the surge through my body and harness.

...anyway, that 6M Rise, several years old, are ridable when my 2012 10M Razor and also the 2012 10M Rise are ridable.

There is great crossover in the range. I have done a trip and jumped from 2012 17.5M FLite to 10M Razor…....and am confident the 6M Rise will slot in at the bottom nicely…...TT, Skim, Surfboard.

I am thrilled with my OR kites…..I always have been, but now I can’t and won’t stop bragging about them. DAVE

Signature