2012 Rise and Razor reviews!

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

At last some decent wind when I’m not working.  Time to max up the 10m Rise 2012. Now I’m 90kg so 25 mph + into a 10 is just sweet. 30+ interesting.
Some thing you need to know .
The Mona Lisa has an enigmatic smile because she has see the graphics on the Rise .
Hillary Clinton hasn’t.
In these days of recession and the finances going south .( Or I suppose North if you are in the southern hemisphere ) the politicians and financial experts produce plans and spread sheets but you know they have it all wrong.
All one needs is a stout rope a bit of wind and a shiny new Rise.
Coupled to a small nondescript Country say Ireland the Rise will lift it out of recession and what’s more keep it there way beyond when the Guinness head has settled.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-12-31

PM

Just used the 2012 Rise 10 in Hawaii for a month. Loved it. Had all wind ranges from 10 to 30kt squalls. Overpowered jumps were amazing, spotting a landing further and further away was great! Fast enough turns to get back to the beach in light winds. I’ve always thought of a 10m kite as a big kite but this feels nimble and very predictable. Great job on the design too, very sharp looking.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

So the kite has a LOT of range!  Were you switching boards?  What is your weight?

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-12-31

PM

I’m 165 and was using the Mini Mako, and was just reminded that the 30 was mph, but yes, big range. I probably had 10” de-power in squalls. Best fun was 15 to 20kt range.

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

johnz - 16 December 2011 06:25 PM

The Razor has been extensively reviewed in a number of magazines ... UK’s Kitesurf Magazine did this review, iKsurfmag wrote this glowing review and Kiteworld has an excellent review coming out next month… I will link to it here when they officially release!

The 2012 Rise was reviewed by Kiteboarding Magazine, you can read the review here!

JohnZ!

...and, here’s the Kiteworld review of the Razor as well!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 75

Joined 2007-04-23

PM

review is spot on…glad to hear others are catching on to the razor stoke. if the only beef is a sticky leash, i think its safe to say the razor really is practically flawless!!

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I’ll bump this one up, got to share some experience.. I’ll keep it short..

Had a few sessions on the 10, 2 on the 7 and 0 on the 5 .. (but a very nice kit to fly.. I’ll cut some lines to 15m max so my kids can use it for learning..)

I am not really dialed in to the 7 (not weird after only one good session..) but it is very nice kite, just a smaller 10.. Loops can be insane.. I had one of those and I’ll pay more attention to it…

The 10.. Very sweet, fast and powerfull, small loops big loops whatever you want. In last big session i really enjoyed the kite, looking for gusts to loop..
did I mention fast steering?.. Transitions are sweet, even when you almost get a collision (I know first look then change direction..) the kite is so quick you simply redirect the kite, no prob!
Yesterday I had a low wind check.. I was a bit too late at the water, still 10-12 kts.. What to do…go back or try the skim.. Get the skim of course !
10 kts and I can hold ground.. (wind station measured 9 kts.. It was cold air..)
So the choice for the 10 as my biggest kite is good! Just change boards.

The bar pressure difference is something you quickly forget..

El Rudo wrote it somewhere and is totally right .. “XXX rating” is what this Razor deserves!

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Hey, just wondering if anyone had experience with moving the front line position back on the Rise, would it make it fly more like the Razor ie, better deeper in the window for wave sailing? Thought I’d put this question in this thread, as some have flown both.
Thanks a lot.
George

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-05-19

PM

Why Cypher is not on this comparison? I have been riding new 12m2 Cypher about five times now and I have learned to like the kite very much. It has got a nice pop. Not too extreme and looping is also smooth and controllable. Hangtime is also good for hooked jumping. Only bad thing is that it is a little heavy and it falls easily if there is a hole on the wind.

I had also 14m2 Rise model 2009. That also did fall easily. For the comparison to the new Cypher, I think the Cypher jumps better. The Rise was a liitle bit lazy and slow.