Upwind - Razor vs. Rise

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-12-19

PM

Hi!
Someone can compare the Razor vs. Rise upwind capability? There’s a big difference?

I never flew any of OR kites and got no chance to test one before buy, but i got a good opportunity to buy one of those kites from a friend who is coming to Brazil, so i need to rely in everything i read here and in kiteforum.

Actually i ride with a Slingshot RPM and i like a lot the agility of the kite, but i’m looking for a better upwind kite to fit better my style (race, big air).

Sorry for the bad English and thanks in advance for any reply!

Eduardo

Total Posts: 152

Joined 2007-06-26

PM

You Will love THE Rise it screams up wind and has lost of hangtime
You can compare THE razor to your RPM

Signature

on fire

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Up wind / Race   You need a kite forward in the window. Rise is the only option.

Joined 2011-12-19

PM

Thanks for the all the replies, looks like the Rise is the way to go.

Just one more question, what would be a good quiver of 3 sizes with the Rise (and FLite) ? Here where i live we got light winds most days (8~12kt) and a few better days with (18~25kt), and i plan do to some travels to Northwest of Brazil where the winds are better.

Thanks again!

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Your weight?

Joined 2011-12-19

PM

I got 75 kilos, currently use a twin-tip 133x40 board but planning to buy a dedicated race board in near future.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Rise is definitely better staying upwind, but the Razor has the low end grunt to make up some of the difference. I’d say that if staying upwind and progressing is your main goal right now, stick with the Rise, then progress to the Razor.

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

12 would be your biggest especial with a race board. Big kites don’t go that much earlier they just allow larger riders to go .
3 kite quiver
12 to 9 works well and 12 to 8 gives a bigger wind range if you decided to go just for 2 kites or need a big wind small third kite
The third kite could be either 7 down to 5 depending on if big wind are an issue on your travels.

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Just a thought. Wouldn’t a Flite be an option for those light wind days Eduardo mentions? I mean 8 - 12 knots is weather is really light conditions. A 12m with a race board would probably get you going but a Flite would definitely give you the power you want.

If 25knots is the maximum then I don’t think you should be looking any smaller than a 8m and you’ll probably be happy with a 9m. I’d look at a 3 kite quiver of:

15m Flite - for wind up to say 15kn
10 - 12m Rise - 15kn to 23kn say
8-9m Rise - 23kn and above

Just something to think about and promote (or provoke) some discussion

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Joined 2011-12-19

PM

Thanks for all replies.

I will probably go with the “noo noo” suggestion, using the FLite as my bigger kite, my guess is that it will give more “happy” days with my twin-tip board and maybe could help me in some amateur competitions with the race board in the future.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

I know a couple guys here are used to the rise and found it tough to get upwind on the razor at first.  Think it takes a bit to get used to the bar feel on any new kite and jumping to the razor from the rise is no different.  The razor has a really grunty feel when you sheet all the way in, but thats not where you get much upwind angle.  Once you get used to the feel of its sweet spot the upwind comes pretty easy.  Probably never as easy as the rise, but easy enough that I never consider it an issue.  I think board choice makes a way bigger difference.  On a twin tip where you tend to ride a little more powered up at the bar its easy to lose the sweet spot for want of more raw power.  On a surfboard unstrapped, I rarely use all the power in the kite and tend to rocket upwind with the kite flying more off the front lines.  I think the racers will always preffer the rise, but I’m real glad OR make the Razor and Cypher too.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2011-08-25

PM

For your travel to the nortwestern Brasil i introduce you minimum 1 kite in sice 7m or max. 8m.
I stay here now for 2 month and use the 10 m razor for 10 times. All the other time the 7 m Rise.
As more you go to the north as stronger the wind!