Wear edges centre-hole in freeride bar 2010 and freestyle bar 2011

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-01-03

PM

Hello I’m new here on the forum.
I’m coming from the netherlands and using OR products now for 3 years,
the first I bought was a pyro pro dry suit and after that some kites.
I’m very happy with all of the stuff ! grin

Now I have a problem with wear in the centre-hole of the bar.
The edges are getting sharp, what follows is that the trim-line is also
wearing and will break after a while.
I have sanded the edges so that it becomes smooth but after a while its coming back.
Some of my friends have the same problem.
What can we do about it ?

I hope there is a good solution !

Kitegreetz,

Frank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2009-06-01

PM

OR should now about this problem for about at least 1 year see on topic technic information.
http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/2672/

I can not believe that Stormchaser in the Netherlands makes me a offer to buy a new bar for less money.
The bar (centrehole) is just not good. I have two bars with this problem and i can not afford me to buy new ones.
So Ocean Rodeo what will you do about this.
If there is a car or something else in the industries that is not working well the fabric call them al back to replace the part that is not working well.

I have replaced mine depower-rope at the end of october i have being kiting with the new depower-rope for 30 hours and was still looking good bur past Sunday he broke and my kite was drifting towards the dike, Lucky he stranded on the water.

See the problem on the picture’s.

Image Attachments

OR bar..jpg
ORbar.jpg
Rope.jpg

Joined 2012-01-03

PM

The pictures shown here by Trigger are exactly what I wrote in my topic.
The material used for the centre-hole is to soft ,to resist the wear by the trim-line.

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

This is a very interesting topic! OR kites are very well built and clearly outlasting the bars. OR has an opportunity here to extend the life of these bars by offering some kind of replacement insert like shown in http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/2672/

It should not be expensive to produce these plastic inserts on a large scale and I am sure it will yield many happy OR customers. Just make sure to make them oversized a bit such that it can be used in a bar that has wear on it.

Joined 2012-01-03

PM

Hey Wouter,

Good idea, make it as soon as possible OR, so we on’t have to change our trim-lines every 2-3 months.
In my opinion the trime-line has to last 9-12 months when there is no wear in the centre-hole of course.

Come on OR make your customers happy!

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Not saying this makes it ok or anything, but pretty much every other bar system where the trim line goes through the bar wears down in the same method. North, Naish, etc. The only one you don’t have this issue with is Cabrinha as it’s not exposed and in a protective sleeve, but that’s a totally different system.

Surf wax definitely does help in my experience, but you have to do it without sand around and before you use the bar, so that it’s coated on. Good discussion though, any other ideas bring them on. The other thing I find strange is that with most everything in kiting you have a backup or some way to get out of the situation, but if the trim line breaks and you don’t have your hands securely on the bar, your kite is gone.

I’m just surprised the industry hasn’t come up with a backup option.

Joined 2009-06-01

PM

Sorry Ajones,

I am kiting for 10 years now, with Naish - Cabrinha - Best and Flysurfer now with OR. With the other brands i never had any problems as i have now. Never have to change a depowerrope with those brands before. So what you are writing is bullshit.
This OR bar is just no good. I bought this one in April 2011 so it is just 8 months old and it is already trash.

Theo

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Fair enough Tigger, just saying any rope trim line that is exposed to salt, sand, and a bar sliding up and down is going to wear down eventually. I guess maybe it’s just me but I had the same fraying on a Liquid Force bar.

With that said, I definitely don’t have the wear to the center hole as you do in the pictures.

Joined 2012-01-03

PM

I’m still waiting for an answer of the OR crew !

Joined 2009-06-01

PM

ajones - 03 January 2012 10:03 PM

Fair enough Tigger, just saying any rope trim line that is exposed to salt, sand, and a bar sliding up and down is going to wear down eventually. I guess maybe it’s just me but I had the same fraying on a Liquid Force bar.

With that said, I definitely don’t have the wear to the center hole as you do in the pictures.

It’s oke Ajones
I’m just a bit angry, that bar on the picture is bought past April, i can say i am very carefully with my gear and rinse the bar after each session with fresh water. I have a Rise from 2009 he is still looking new.

Frank
i think OR, R&D are in a meeting to bring us good news grin

Joined 2012-01-03

PM

Hello OR,

I asked for a solution because of the wear !
What is the problem to answer my question ?

Best regards,

Frank

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

Frank, Hello.

May I suggest that you contact Ocean Rodeo directly by phone or e-mail?

Apparently they do not check this weblog as often as you might assume.

Best Regards. DAVE

Signature

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Joined 2012-01-03

PM

Thanks Dave,

I’ll try it by mail !

Best regards,

Frank

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Frank / Theo

I am sorry for the slow response to this thread. I do try to monitor these forum threads but I have a lot on the go and missed this on.

I have spoken with Wouter - who I believe you both bought your bars from? - and we are having sent out to you replacement blank bars to replace the worn out bar.

Theo, we take great pride in our bars. You’re entitled to your opinion but I’d prefer if you try to keep the comments PG on here. It is also a good time to point out that the best way to get customer service is not to post swear words on a company forum but perhaps contact your dealer and or the manufacturer directly. Just a tip for next time.

As for the cause of the wear. We have had those bars on the water for years, starting in late 09 with the introduction of the “2010 SLE Bar”. None of them suffered from this damage and in general were fine for repeated use. The issue arose with the introduction of the Freestyle bar which has such a short throw that it holds the 2x trim lines open and wears down on the bar insert. As you can imagine, we test all of our gear extensively but this was not something we could anticipate as the other bars stood up so well.

The solution for this issue is to remove the 2nd trim line all together on the Freestyle bars, which we will be doing with future production runs and to only run one line which will not be held open and against the side of the bar insert.

I suggest that when you re-build your bar with the supplied bars we are sending out that you only use one length of trim line to build it, you will find this will lead to a much longer lived bar.

John

Joined 2012-01-03

PM

Hello John,

Thank you for your answer on my question.
One thing I don’t understand is that you are talking about
the wear on the freestyle bar only.
The pictures you see in the topic are about the freeride bar
with the same problem.
I’m always using the stopper, so you have also the short throw, and by that the same wear
How can we resolve the problem on this bar ?

Best regards,

Frank (TBK)

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-05-01

PM

John,

I have a freestyle bar too and the wear looks just like the pictures above after only 3 months of use. I noticed the trim line wearing faster than normal but I had not noticed the lower hole in the bar had become so sharp. The trim line had become pretty frayed and I shouldn’t have tried to get in one more session because it failed today while I was riding pretty far from shore and the bar war ripped right out of my hands. My bad for not replacing the trim line when I noticed the wear but it seems 3 months is a really short time for a trim line to become completely shredded.

Is there nothing that can be done about the bottom hole in the freestyle bar getting so sharp?

Regards,
Jake

Joined 2009-06-01

PM

Welcome to the club. confused

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Jake - 01 May 2012 04:24 AM

John,

I have a freestyle bar too and the wear looks just like the pictures above after only 3 months of use. I noticed the trim line wearing faster than normal but I had not noticed the lower hole in the bar had become so sharp. The trim line had become pretty frayed and I shouldn’t have tried to get in one more session because it failed today while I was riding pretty far from shore and the bar war ripped right out of my hands. My bad for not replacing the trim line when I noticed the wear but it seems 3 months is a really short time for a trim line to become completely shredded.

Is there nothing that can be done about the bottom hole in the freestyle bar getting so sharp?

Regards,
Jake

Hey Jake, sorry about your bar, this has been an annoying problem for us (and you!) for sure.

If you can post or send me some photos of your bar then we can look into getting you one of the blank bars that were previously mentioned.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Ned

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-05-01

PM

John,

Here are a couple picture of the bar. As you can see, the opening of the hole has gotten sharpened by the trim line and as a result the sharp edges just eat away at the trim line.

Regards,
Jake

Image Attachments

bar1.jpg
bar2.jpg

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Thanks Jake, shoot me an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and I’ll let you know the scoop.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

i have the same problem too with my Fusion bar….
mini 5th broke and the center lines are ready to go too…and i dont want to make any other modifications to my bar….
(i already did the modification with the depower)

can i use my kites (Cypher+Razor 2011) with another brand bar??
are you about to change it for the new season??any guarantee for my bar??
thanks

Joined 2009-06-01

PM

I’m looking for een other brand bar.
I think the UDS bar from Zeeko or the Quicklink bar from Cabrinha wil do just fine wink

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2010-10-19

PM

The bar hole is easy to fix! I did this to and I have only 6 fingers hehe raspberry
Look at this tread: http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/3379/

after more then 15 sessions, it’s still rock solid!

Image Attachments

IMAG0089 (Custom).jpg

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

so if i need to sell my bar i will have to tell the buyer the i made it like this???and he will buy my stuff?give me a break…
notice from the kites i am 100% satisfied,but from the bar (except the excellent grip) i think you must do something for this,i had
no depower(fix made so ok) but i dont think i will make something else with the center lines problem (wear edges)
i am still waiting an official reply to my problem…

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

Direct contact and direct discussion would seem to best satisfy your issues.

........Ocean Rodeo phone   250-283-4969

.....or how about emailing them directly?

I cannot imagine that they watch this blog for every new post.

Signature

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2010-10-19

PM

@ pumma

I understand your point. In my situation it’s a bit different beceaus this is a custom made bar special made for me. So I will never sell this bar beceause I need it like this. But how sh*t is it that you can’t kite right now? So get up and fix your bar so you can throw some big kiting again. Like this you can’t sell you bar either.

Contact OR and wait for answer. But waiting without kiting is not necassery!

Joined 2009-06-01

PM

i am still waiting an official reply to my problem

Hey Pumma, you have to contact OR by personal e-mail or phone they don’t check this forum every day.
I could buy a new bar (blank) for a special price but that doesn’t help me. Than i willl have the same problem again.
Now i ordered the UDS bar from Zeeko, i hope this will work.  smirk