SOUL…....put it to use!!?!

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Geotrouvetout,…
Great comments on dry-suits, much appreciated.
I agree, bright colors do add safety; however it’s a tough sell as 99% of customers ask for black, blue etc. We are working brighter colors for next year,…but not necessarily yellow for a safety color..

The problem with Yellow:
In high wind conditions, with sun and white caps, yellow blends into the ocean. This problem gets worse the brighter yellow – neon yellow being the absolute worst. Red/orange is the best,...the dominant color used in survival suits, life rafts ect,..so if you your concerned about being seen,..get a red or orange drysuit.

For safety on the Soul we’ve added 3m reflective piping strips that wrap around the neck and down the front. Very effective in dark conditions, especially when hit with artificial light.

Regarding breathable materials, Gortex is a solid brand and have made a great name in breathable materials – heck they invented it! 
However, for use in salt water, the field is not dominated by Gore. The Teflon technology that Gore made their name on (in jackets, pants etc,) is not necessarily the best material to be used in drysuit’s,..ie   exposure to salt water.
At Ocean Rodeo we use Gelelnots membrane – it’s a PU based film that works on a heat differential process rather (think wicking) rather than small cracks or openings expanding/contracting in a Teflon film to let vapor out. Having said this, Gore do offer various membranes and may have some form of PU membrane in their line up to meet the challenge of salt water.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-01-06

PM

Good response to my comment. Another thing I forgot to mention, how good are you with repairs? A fellow kiter was impressed with Kokatat customer service when he needed to replace a gasket and the zipper. The price was very reasonable ($80) and as they damaged his suit while repairing it they gave him a brand new one instead. I’ve seen folks with duck taped Pyropro suits, maybe they are just lazy to get them repaired or would it be for another reason?

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-09-25

PM

Wanted to identify other uses for the SOUL.. I’d really like to have one for days on the sailboat when its windy and a downpour with waves crashing over.. or for fishing / crabbing when its pissing out.. I would even use the SOUL for scuba diving to clean the bottom of a boat or just shallow reef diving… but after 10-20 feet pressures would likely compress the suit… after market valves?
The comment of snowboarding in the suit would fit well on Vancouver Island when Mt Washington gets very wet snow!
If I had to work outside on a regular basis a drysuit would do well to limit exposure to the elements… construction sites etc…

any decent sailing gear is at least 400 for a pair of pants and jackets are easily another 400.. get the multi-purpose SOUL DRYSUIT!!!

Please randomly select my name in the draw!!! WINNING

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

Got my new Soul and tried it out today. Wow! Very comfortable and the larger opening on the king is just enough to make getting in it a breeze. You guys definitely have a winner here, felt like I was kiting in street clothes, except I was nice and warm! Hood worked great over my helmet. I even got to use the pee zip, horizontal works just fine! Great job

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-11-24

PM

The Soul looks like it has some pretty cool ideas in drysuits. I’ve never heard of Ocean Rodeo before today when I got an offer of a deal on the Soul via a paddling instructors list. I love the ‘captive zipper’ idea. The look is cool and avoids that bagged stormtrooper look.
Like a previous poster, I too wonder about the lack of bright colours. I like my red suit. However, the big thing I don’t understand and may stop me from buying a Soul is: where are the feet?
No one even tries to sell drysuits without feet in the paddling world anymore. Do kiteboarders not like their feet? I find the nylon socks built into paddling drysuits fit well into my booties and I stay a lot warmer for having dry feet. I even wear wool socks in my suit. Very nice. While the Soul looks fantastic overall, I’m not eager to go back to cold feet in wet booties.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I kite all winter in the Gorge and use OR 5mm booties and my feet are toasty! Plus in above 55 degree water it’s nice not to wear booties. Options are a good thing!

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2012-10-23

PM

Hi kapn,
If you read through our forum posts about the Soul, you’ll find that many Soul owners comment on the comfort, and that it’s nice to not always have soft socks - surf SUPers for example really appreciate the option of going barefoot for better board control.
We’ve been telling a lot of die hard soft sock folks to check out the xcel Drylock booties - here’s a great review for you: http://www.surfline.com/gear/gear-review-xcel-infiniti-drylock-boots—field-testing-xcels-top-of-the-line-surf-booties_40969/

We’ve found that soft socks are usually the first part of a drysuit to wear out, leading to a very costly repair, or replacement of the suit.

I hope you consider trying out a Soul drysuit before you make up your mind about it!
Feel free to email me for more info: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Cheers!

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-12-31

PM

How does the Soul work with a life or impact vest. Looks a bit bulky up top. Do you need a larger vest? Here in Toronto cops love to give tickets for not wearing a life vest.

Joined 2013-01-01

PM

pecmajor - 31 December 2012 05:29 AM

How does the Soul work with a life or impact vest. Looks a bit bulky up top. Do you need a larger vest? Here in Toronto cops love to give tickets for not wearing a life vest.

Yeah I took mine into the surf a couple of weeks ago and let me tell you, since it`s sealed, when you fall in the water all the air trapped inside acts like a flotation device on itself, literally.
Besides marine regulations estipulate that when you are in a vessel away from the swimming zone, there must be a live vest present in the craft. Been SUP here in Montreal for a couple of years already and encountered the same situation several times but as long as the flotation device is with me (not on me) I`m complying.
The suit is amzing, loos like a snowboard suit. I don`t know how would it be affected if I ever decide to put it for snowkiting but the temptation is there, definitely don`t want to get it ruined. At 165cms and 85 Kgs I got the Medium King and fits like a glove. Pretty unrestriciting considering the construction. Seals are not too tight. Easy zip in and out (yet to try the pee zip)

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2012-10-23

PM

Heads up Soul owners. If you’re dealing with any funk issues, rinse your suit, and try this cleaning product. It won’t void your warranty, and it’s safe for use with the Soul’s polytex seals.
http://www.mcnett.com/MiraZyme-Enzyme-Based-Odor-Eliminator-P398.aspx

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2013-01-15

PM

Here’s a really fair review of the SOUL Drysuit from a top rider in Norway, Cato.  His thoughts are pretty bang on and his photos are insane.

http://catothekiter.com/2012/11/03/review-ocean-rodeo-soul-drysuite/

Joined 2012-09-25

PM

I used the MiraZyme product and it totally took care of the funk… kisses from the wife after my session without a frown! the suit needs a good rinse every time you use it inside and out… but its truly been like night and day put against a wet suit.

Joined 2012-09-25

PM

Used ‘Seal Saver’ for the first time and it sure makes the seals slide so much easier around the heels, wrists and neck! make the purchase and apply often to preserve your latex and prevent having to replace! also a reminder to apply the TiZip lubricant to the zippers periodically!!

put the Soul to use!

Joined 2013-07-06

PM

How safe or compatible are sunscreens with the Soul’s polytex seals?  Are there any brands that are known to be OK?  Are there any brands, or specific listed ingredients to avoid?

I just purchased the Soul drysuit today.  There were several suits in the store returned for repair of the seals, and I notice repair questions are common.  I want to avoid damaging the seals.

Just wondering what are people’s experience are with sunscreens, good or bad

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-12-31

PM

Found my own answer to how to wear a pfd with the Soul or NPX Lucifers. You wear it inside the suit. Lots of room very comfee and the marine police are happy. Only problem is the pfd acts like a layer of clothes and you sweat under it. But for me thats much better than being too cold.