High wind kite

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-03-21

PM

I am looking for a high wind kite something that can handle 25-30 mph and in varied water. I am a new kiter but advancing quickly. I have a 8m, O8 Rise and it is killin’ me-  I need to replace it; if I am not diligent it pulls me off an edge and it is a world of hurt. All my bad crashes have been on this kite. I am thinking 7m Rise or Cypher- I like that OR is describing the Cypher “rock solid”. I have a 2012 9m Rise and it is good- pretty solid, but peaks out around 25 mph. I have tried other makers and the 7m Cabrinha Crossbow was pretty good- so trying to figure if OR Rise/Cypher can match that.  Thank you- Margie

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Margie, welcome to the crew!
Good question/problem, I’m sure we can help you. Before the Crew members can sink their teeth in to this one, could you tell us a bit about the following (some questions can be perceived as impertinent I know!):
> the direction you like to progress in, like unhooked, big air, wave, stuff like that
> the circumstances, gusty winds, choppy water etcetera
> your weight, athletic capabilities.
thanks!

Joined 2012-03-21

PM

El Rudo,

Great question-

1. I am soo new to this that I don’t have “a style” defined yet. HOWEVER- when the moment proposes itself I will try pretty much anything. The only avenue I may not head down anytime soon is wakestyle. I am very athletic, and completely addictied to kiting, but also old enough not to want to torture myself too much.

2. Definently heading to the surf (soon) we are in South Padre Island at this time and ready to leave the flat water and head to the gulf and small slushy marching waves. I am also determined to learn a back roll transition with a down loop. There are a lot of rides when I just love to cruise, no big air, no fancy pop and grabs (relatively speaking), nice and steady out to enjoy the water and wind. 

3. We are sailors and will head back out on the boat- and that is the goal: to kite anywhere in the world in most conditions- having the right gear. Yup that means a bigger boat!

Hope that helps- Margie

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

The 6M rise is a wonderful highwind kite. It has better range and rides faster than other brands. I am 180 lbs. and ride a 150 mako classic (narrow….....34CM wide) when it is is the nuking wind. None of my local crew have the speed of this combination. Being a boat sailor, you can appreciate that!

I find that this kite has great range. I fly this kite when others are on 7M and 8M….comparing to Cabrinha, North, Best, “rabbit”, Wilson, Slingshot, Ozone. My 6M rise has been flown in much higher winds than the others (58MPH gusting to 69mph…survival conditions, for sure), yet with the ability to range to where my 10M Razor is working.

....I would not be without this kite in my quiver. It is a SWEET kite in all manner.

.....When I first got it, I thought it would just be my “storm” kite and not get much use…..hah!!! It’s got a LOT of use. I fly off rocky launches and it’s tough as nails…..I towed in a friend when it was blowing 60MPH after he broke his Ozone…......He lost his kite, gone…forever.

Signature

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

Margie, I re-read your initial post.

The 6M Rise compares favorably versus the 7M Cabrinha.

I have many sessions comparing the two. You would not be disappointed with the 6M Rise.  Get a demo!

Signature

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

yep - either a 6m Rise or Razor. I see you are entering the looping and air transition realm and the Razor is better for that. Also in waves, the Rise flies further towards the edge of the wind window making it harder have it turn along with you, whereas the Razor is whipped around within the power zone easily. I haven’t flown the smaller size Razors yet though, I’m packing to go to Tarifa this weekend, hoping to break in my new 7m!
The 2012 Razors have some more depower than the 2011 so you won’t be pulled off your board that quick.

Total Posts: 126

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Hey Margie, welcome to the crew x2!

As usual our crew members here are making very high quality comments…

BIG AK - 22 March 2012 04:46 PM

The 6M rise is a wonderful highwind kite.

....I would not be without this kite in my quiver. It is a SWEET kite in all manner.

Very true, the 6m is an awesome little machine that will keep you smiling and comfortable in huge conditions. Massive depower and reliable performance, probably the best for pure ‘storm’ safety and overall comfort.

El Rudo - 22 March 2012 04:58 PM

I see you are entering the looping and air transition realm and the Razor is better for that. Also in waves, the Rise flies further towards the edge of the wind window making it harder have it turn along with you, whereas the Razor is whipped around within the power zone easily.
The 2012 Razors have some more depower than the 2011 so you won’t be pulled off your board that quick.

Rudo is also 100% right on this one. If you’re going to ride waves and do downloop transitions, Razor all the way. Depower is also improved for sure. You sacrifice a little bit of the comfort at the very high end, but the performance traits more than make up for it, and being such a quick kite you can really rip up the surf in less wind.

If you have any questions just give me a call at OR or shoot me an email - .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Ned - OR

Joined 2012-03-21

PM

Thanks Rudo, Ned and Big AK for following up w/ me- I am wishing I had that Razor today w/- 25+ being the forcast here at South Padre Island. I was out in the surf yesterday and for sure will spend more time there. BTW we bought the 15m Flite and it is the bomb! We also bought a OR surfboard- which is going to take a little practice to figure out. But I can tell you that from my beginner experience that, that big kite can move when sending it through ( I am comparing this to a 14m Cabrinha only) and there is relatively little bar pressure, which was my main issue w/ the Cabrinha.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

well I can’t wait to see some action shots!