Razor Questions - Help needed

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-04-21

PM

Hello all:

I’m looking at changing my quiver to some Razors. I’ve never flown OR before.

Question 1: Are there any big guys that fly these kites that could help me out? I’m 6’5” 265lbs and would like to find out what you think of these kites and suggest a quiver size. Going to get a 12m for sure. But I’m wondering if an 8m or 9m for +35kts? I ride a Mako king and 144 TT.

Question 2: Are the differences that significant between the 2011 and 2012? I can get some good deals on some 2011 kites. Or is it worth it to get the 2012.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Big John

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Big John… welcome to the Crew! Stoked you’re considering Ocean Rodeo and our Razor kites.

At your size the Razor is by far your best choice of kite and I’d say you could absolutely choose a 8 or 9 as your high wind kite. The Razor offers incredible low end grunt but it is also known to be incredibly stable in high winds and rock solid in flight, perfect for someone like you who will really be loading the wing up.

I’d say at your weight an amazing quiver would be a 8 or 9m Razor, 12m Razor and a 15m Flite. The Flite is officially a light wind kite but the 15 has a very similar profile to the Razor and is very easily looped. I have a lot of customers your size using the 15 when most others would be on a 12.

Regarding the difference from 011 to 012… big difference, and that’s honestly not a sales pitch. The 2011 Razor was 1st Gen and performed beautifully but there were some limitations that you need to consider. The kites had amazing low end but would cap out on the top end and could get unstable if pushed too far in high winds. In 2012 we introduced the FST wingtips, drastically improving turning speeds, relaunch and - most important in your case - stability in high winds and under large loads.

We offer a 30 Day Guarantee on all our gear too John so if you aren’t close enough to a place to demo the gear you can buy in confidence that if the kites disappoint you we will refund your money. We are that confident in our gear!

Drop us a line if you have any other questions John!

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2012-04-21

PM

Still need some help on my second size? 8 or 9m

So I got in a full day of demoing the 2012 razor 12m.

I was riding my Mako King the whole day.

Session 1:
winds avg 19-23kt gusting to 29kt
I was on the fusion bar. About 8-10” trim.
Kite settings medium turn. More depower. Rigged on lower knot on steering lines.
It was gusty with some big holes in locations.
I was having trouble getting the kite to behave. I was struggling with the gusts and kite.
Had a bar problem so had to come in.

Session 2:
Winds avg 20-24kt gusting to 31kt
On a different fusion bar with about 8” trim.
Changed kite settings to medium steering. More depower. Rigged on upper knot on steering lines.
It was stronger but less gusty with no big holes in the wind.
The kite behaved much more for me this time. Or I was getting used to the kite.
It was an excellent session. I had a lot of fun. The kite worked very very well. Big smile…
On the big gust I was well powered but never felt overpowered but close.

Session 3:
Wind avg 17-21kt samoset slight gusts.
riding the same fusion bar with 2-3” trim.
same kite settings as session 2.
The kite worked great. Started doing some tight dowlooping carving transitions. Powered going in and powered coming out of the transition.
I’m really liking this kite I think it would be go to kite for most of the winds we get.

Questions:
1. How much trim will the 2012 razor handle and still fly well?
2. With the above information can any one suggest a size for my high wind kite? I’m having trouble deciding on 9 or 8m? I’m. Worried an 8m might be too much gap from a 12m and not give me enough powered unless it’s nuking out.

Thanks to any one for any help they might be able to give me.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Try your front lines on the fwd. setting. This gives greater range (de-power). I think a 3M spacing is plenty.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-12-29

PM

BigJohn - 05 May 2012 06:59 PM

Still need some help on my second size? 8 or 9m

Questions:
1. How much trim will the 2012 razor handle and still fly well?
2. With the above information can any one suggest a size for my high wind kite? I’m having trouble deciding on 9 or 8m? I’m. Worried an 8m might be too much gap from a 12m and not give me enough powered unless it’s nuking out.

Thanks to any one for any help they might be able to give me.

I can answer question 1 I think. Though I fly the 2011 Razor (12m), I have flown it in ridiculously overpowered conditions (note to self: always bring everything). I have had it fully trimmed in / depowered, and it still flies extremely well with zero canopy flutter. As always, YMMV.

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

It is not so much what the kite will fly in as how comfortable it is . I have flown the Razors way beyond comfort in squalls and they fly fine   but it’s just not fun plus if it goes tits up you still have a big kite no matter what the depower..
The best combination as stated before is 12 to 9m .  12 to 8m works but the gap is to big. Those who have tried 12 8m on our beach are changing to 12 to 9 as they upgrade.
To If you feel you need more top end wind range conceder the Rise as it is not quit so good low down but better in the heavy stuff.
Either way you will love the kites. 
I keep trying different kites but the Rise/Razor alway put the smile on the face

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2011-10-29

PM

ive got 12m and 9m 2012 razors and also and old flexifoil 7m. i’m 12 stone so find myself moving onto 7m when it hits 30knots+ i reckon you’d be fine with just the 12m and 9m. I’d also agree with earlier post, you can depower massively without effecting performance or comfort. kite flies pretty much exactly the same. I love the 9m, you can throw it around, really quick and stable. I’m on 6ft surfboard strapless 60% of the time and twin tip 40% and ideal for both kites. I think you’d be pleased with 12,9. generally lighter riders go for a 10,8 or 10,7 quiver.

james

Total Posts: 126

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Big John,

You are well served here, these folks know their stuff. A 2m or 3m gap is preferred. The Razor can be depowered massively as mentioned, and will keep you fairly comfortable even in nuking conditions (definitely improved from the 2011 model).

You will be in great shape with a 9m and if you decide you want a storm kite can add in a 7m later. Whereas if you go for the 8m, it seems unlikely at your size that you would ever get any (safe) use from a 6m; kiting in hurricanes is not recommended!

I go with a 2m gap of 6, 8, and 10. If I went with 2 kites it would be 7m and 10m.

Ned
OR

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2011-09-19

PM

Hi there Big John…just to add a little into the conversation here…I personally ride the 7m and 9m Razors and the 12m Cypher….the 9m is by far my favourite kite and at 12 stone I can get on the 9 at around 20 knots and ride right up until around 35.
My Dad also rides the 8m 10m and 12m Razor.
He is just over 17 stone and rides the 140 Mako, he’s main kite is the 10m, once the wind hits 25 knots he is happy on his 10 although can still hold his 12m down…I personally think….a 3 kite quiver if its affordable for yourself is the best way to go depending on the conditions you ride in…I would advise the 8 10 and 12…or if you enjoy riding in lighter winds I would agree with John and go 9 12 15.
Hope this helps

Signature

Craig Smith
Ocean Rodeo Uk
Blankforce Kiteboarding
Blast Kiteboarding
http://www.craigsmith.me.uk

Joined 2012-04-21

PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. It is very much appreciated.

I’ve ordered a 2012 Razor 12m and 9m.

I’ll keep everyone posted on how things go when they come in. Excited to try out the 9 in some big wind with the Mako King.

At 260lbs/118kg/18.5stone it will be interesting to find out what my wind range of the kites will be.

Keep an eye for the Clydesdale postings to find out.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

sunrise - 06 May 2012 06:59 AM

It is not so much what the kite will fly in as how comfortable it is . I have flown the Razors way beyond comfort in squalls and they fly fine   but it’s just not fun plus if it goes tits up you still have a big kite no matter what the depower..
The best combination as stated before is 12 to 9m .  12 to 8m works but the gap is to big. Those who have tried 12 8m on our beach are changing to 12 to 9 as they upgrade.
To If you feel you need more top end wind range conceder the Rise as it is not quit so good low down but better in the heavy stuff.
Either way you will love the kites. 
I keep trying different kites but the Rise/Razor alway put the smile on the face

Agreed, I’m switching from a 12/8 combo to a 12/9 when the 2013’s come out. If anyone wants a 2011 8m, PM me.