A week on a Razor

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

I just finished up a week in Cape Hatteras where I got to ride my 10m razor for 4 of the 5 days we had wind and I was on my 12m Razor for the other day. I rode the 10m with my skim board and surfboard, both strapless. I just switched my quiver this year from Rises to Razors so this was my first extended time spent on a Razor. I have been on the ‘08,‘09,‘10 Rises from 12m-6m.

I got a 12,10,6 2011 Razors over the winter and these kites are pretty sweet. I definitely like them better then the Rises. They seemed more stable when I was getting up on my surfboard. I am riding strapless and when I don’t make my jibes, I spend a bit of time in the water messing around with the board and getting it lined up correctly. With this kite, I didn’t really have to pay much attention to it.

The 10m turns really nicely, stalls nicely and has good power. I was on the 10m and a surf board when the rest of the group was riding 14’s. And I stayed on the 10m when the wind picked up and everyone else was on 8’s and 10’s. So the range was really nice. The 10m is a much better kite then the 12m where it seems like the the extra weight of the 12 cancels out what ever low end the 2m should give. With the 10m, I can work the enough to get me going on the surfboard. The 10m size always seems to be the best of the quiver, for what ever reason.

So if you are undecided between Razors or Rises, I would say go with the Razors. They are “just” that much better then the rises.

Ted

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Agreed, last year with the 2011 Razors, I’d say that there only major negative was relaunch and gust handling. This year is far improved, and given all the other advantages over the Rise, (more grunt, faster turning, better response), I completely agree with you. Of course, this is all predicated on what you style and wind range is, I like jumping with the Razor because it’s a faster, more vertical pull, compared to the loftier float of the Rise. I like the firmer bar pressure of the Razor while some like less bar pressure - Rise.

So, saying one is much better is more a question of riding style than kite quality.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2007-12-06

PM

First day on a Razor today. I have been riding OR kites for 3 years now. Let me tell you the razors blow the other kites out of the water.

This kite pulls like a locomotive when you want it, and seems to tame down a bit when not bieng pushed.

But The Razor is a kite that likes to be pushed. It responds instantly to a bit of pressure.

I remember thinking…“Why am I still going up?”

No negatives other than it can be twitchy during gusty conditions, where the rise would have been more stable.  Having said that the sheer power of this thing will never have me looking back on the rise.

Chugga chugga

Total Posts: 126

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

skywalker - 09 May 2012 05:40 AM

No negatives other than it can be twitchy during gusty conditions, where the rise would have been more stable.  Having said that the sheer power of this thing will never have me looking back on the rise.

Chugga chugga

Skywalker, stoked you are already loving the Razors!!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Try your front lines on the forward kite attachment. Rise range/Razor performance

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…