Pigtail Replacement

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

What size/strength dyneema line are the pigtails on the lines? Mine are beginning to wear through the sleeving, time to replace. That or what do people typically do when the pigtails on the inside lines begin to fray. I’m used to having extensions and I just buy new ones. Should I replace the whole sleeve somehow?

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

If you’re seeing the sleeve on the end of your line set beginning to fray you may wish to consider replacing your lines as that is a good indication of age but if they still seem to be in good condition you can take the front lines off and flip them over, attaching the frayed end to the swivel and use the fresh end to connect to your kite’s pulleys. Just be sure to take the opportunity to also check all your line lengths at the same time - might as well make sure the bar is tuned!

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

johnz - 14 May 2012 06:59 PM

If you’re seeing the sleeve on the end of your line set beginning to fray you may wish to consider replacing your lines as that is a good indication of age but if they still seem to be in good condition you can take the front lines off and flip them over, attaching the frayed end to the swivel and use the fresh end to connect to your kite’s pulleys. Just be sure to take the opportunity to also check all your line lengths at the same time - might as well make sure the bar is tuned!

Yeah, you know right after I posted this, I remember doing that with my old set. I’ll do that and get a few more sessions, before probably grabbing a new bar.

Thanks,
Adam

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Sounds good!!

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

To minimize this wear, try to keep the line loop / pigtail connection free of sand when setting up, as it’s the most frequent cause of line sleeving and pigtail wear.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca