Grip tape on 2010 Mako’s

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2011-12-29

PM

I own a 2010 Mako King and Mini. Without exaggerating the clear grip “tape” on the rails and nose and tail is the best I have ever seen and not seen on other brands/boards.

I also own two surfboards that I ride strapless: one has just lost it’s deckpad between the front and back foot, the other is losing them.  It’s those smallish EVA stickers that North supply. It’s tough to gybe without them. I hate using wax, and I’ve always disliked the fact that the EVA stick-ons obscure the great looking wood finish on my boards.

Can I get the OR clear grip tape anywhere? Is there a generic tape that -say- 3M makes? Any tips, thoughts?

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Feddo, stoked you like the feel of the surface but it’s not a tape… I am sorry! It’s a sand / epoxy blend that is put into the Duraclear top coat when we lay the boards up so we can’t sell an aftermarket version.
JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2011-12-29

PM

Thanks John, I’ll keep looking. Surely there’s some kind of after-market clear grip tape out there, I have heard of it.

Stoke yes, the grip on the edges really is exceptional. Even just walking to the water with the kite in the air is easier, it’s that “grippy”.

Total Posts: 125

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Feddo you can go to a marine supply store and enquire about a top gel coat. They sell this as a ‘paint on’ product that you can use for boats, primarily to paint down on decks to help with your footing. Not sure if it’s been tried or how it would work but it may be worth a look!

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Feddo! try this!
I’ve been putting HEMA black grip stuff on my Mako but it’s not so nice, it’s sharp on the skin and everything else it contacts. I’m planning on taking it off and use wax.

Ned the gel coat trick is cool, I’ve been building surf boards and I would sprinkle sugar over the coat before it cured, the sugar washed out in water and left grippy little pockets in the surface.

Joined 2011-12-29

PM

Thanks, Rudo. Hema grip tape is a no-go, too ugly. I’ll keep looking, I know there’s something out there. Surely.

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I agree that the grip tape is a bit too grippy on some places on my surfboard and you get easily scratched by it..
But on the TT it works great at the grabbing spots (and between the pads so my kids got some grip when they join me on a ride)
Wax gets ugly too..
Gel coat is a good solution, like the old days..
When you find the clear grip tape let us know!

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

feddo - 22 May 2012 08:08 PM

Surely there’s some kind of after-market clear grip tape out there, I have heard of it.

NSI Clear Grip might work for you:

http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/nsi-clear-grip-redux/

safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com