Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Someone start a rumor or somethin!

anything??  Anyone?

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

johnz - 29 May 2012 05:28 PM

We will be introducing a new line of kites in July aimed at the introductory market. There will be key sizes of kite priced as new entry level kites and there will be smaller (3 & 5m) sizes built to be used in lighter winds for body dragging and introductory lessons for just this purpose.

John

I’m interested in that 5, got someone frequently asking me when it will be available ..

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

P1110150 by ocean rodeo, on Flickr

2013 teaser as requested!  A new product for OR,...in a product niche we currently don’t address….
This is not a beginner only kite - all levels of rider. More coming soon!

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thanks.. But that’s not a teaser… It’s more like torture.. My son can’t wait till 2013..
Show us the 5 ... wink

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

More info coming soon. Official launch will be July 10th,..with product shipping the following week.
We’re actually working on the photo shoot the next few days….
I’ve been flying the proto’s on and off over the winter,..with lots of hours put in over the last 2 months,...its our easiest kite to fly,...so yes,...great for beginners. As an old dog who’s been kiting for 13 years,...my comments are: smooth performer ideal for beginners and intermediates. Experienced kiters would review it as a free-ride kite. Mark my words on this quote,...all levels of rider will find something they like in this kite.
Side note: I actually just taught my son (14) to kite last month using the full range of sizes,...he managed to stay upwind on day one - by day 5 he was solid,..going upwind easily, making most turns,..trying chop hops - it took me a year to get to this point in 1999! (Should be noted he’s a high level sailor, surfer,  Sup’er and has flown trainers for many years so he had a great base)

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

How about some razor details? I’m trying to hold out for a 10m.

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

The 2012 Razor has been the runaway success for us this year. We anticipate the 2013 Razor will also knock it out of the park.
Official news on this kite will have stay locked in the vault until September,..sorry about that!

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thanks Richard!
Great to read! I know what you mean, started a little later in 2001, I hope my boy will pick it up quick as well, looking forward in riding together.
Any chance on smaller stances on the mako mini?
I’ll be watching the news!

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Janus,...great comment on the small stance option for the Mako 130,...its now on the product development list.
Re questions on smaller sizes of the Prodigy vs other kite styles.
The 2, 3 and 5 m are smooth and predictable with tuned down turning. The smaller sizes are designed to fly well in all wind conditions…particularly lighter winds (for light riders ).

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Why oh why did I look at this thread?

Why do I get the impression that I may, yet again be in trouble?

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I think I’ll be in trouble too.. wink
I hope the photoshoot is done by now.. more teasers?
@ Richard; don’t forget the smaller CL’s for next season, gives more depower to the kids due to smaller arms..
(I’ve made my own which works great)
Whyle I’m at it now, some shorter lines is better for learning also..
Regards,
Arjan

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Bump..
Almost the 10th… grin

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah, any new bar details perhaps?

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

new kite launch pushed back a few days (end of this week or next Monday),...Jeremie is putting the finishing touches on the product video, which I’m sure will be worth the wait…

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

and he was rescueing a sea turtle so thats also worth waiting for!

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

IMO, the prodigy is a good idea, especially in the smaller sizes.  Today I gave a lesson to a 125lb. boy on the 8mRazor and King which went well.  He got up riding and had a ball!  But, the 8m Razor isn’t really designed to fly well in the lighter wind range, it’s more of a high wind kite for adults.  My personal favorite is the 10m and 8m.  Anyway,  it will be good to give lessons to little people in little wind that fly well in ... little wind.  Solid idea.

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Look what’s already on Youtube:

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2011-10-07

PM

I saw the video, the Prodigy seems to be a fantastic kite, I love the 3 struts design and I am looking forward to testing its stability!
Another top class kite by Ocean Rodeo!

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yep, bring on the Razor and Cypher info.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-10-27

PM

Hey All,

I was lucky enough to try out the 9.5m Prodigy on tues. I have to say I was a little skeptical seeing as it is marketed as an easy to fly kite and I am more into the high performance end of things.
Out of the bag, first thing I noticed was the wicked design! This kite looks great! The new bag is pretty spiffy too. The next thing was the large sturdy looking leading edge. Looks like it would survive a crash or 2 into the cook st cliff!
Pumped up and got out there and right off the bat surprised with the amount of power. Looked pretty light and onshore out there, but I was cranking up wind no problem! The kite is not quick and zippy like a Razor, but more smooth and steady. Turns are a bit slower to initiate, but once it starts it rips through them. This feature will be great for beginner and intermediate kiters that have trouble with the kite drifting around the window as they are concentrating on other things. Bar pressure is a bit heavier than a Razor, but steady throughout the range. I was riding full till and I sheeted the bar all the way in just to see what would happen. Kite drifted slightly back in the window, then stopped. I kept going upwind with minimal loss of speed. Great feature for those bar squeezing noobs. I bombed over to Ross bay to join all the other kiters and try out my first jump. WOW!!! Can you say hang time Very nice relaunch too! Didn’t even touch the bar, kite just rolled over and sat at the edge of the window. Ate it on the first few jumps as it jumps very differently than a Razor, but some nice buttery smooth lofty landing once I had it figured out. Water was flat and wind was steady so I tried unhooking her. This thing rocks unhooked The kite just sat there with a nice steady pull. Usually I am doing all I can to keep the kite in the air after a landing(unhooked riding not quite my forte) but the Prodigy just hung out around 1030 while I fumbled with the bar and chicken loop trying to hook back in. Bombed back over to the launch as the wind was dying and noticed the bottom end on the kite. I played around for about half an hour before I realized there were only 2 kites left out of the 20+ when I started   Decided to try a few kiteloops for shits and giggles, but again surprisingly landed a few! Once it starts to loop… it goes around fast with a lot of loft on the landing Even stomped a big F-16 and Kiteloop Railie on the first try
Final thoughts on the Prodigy. Pleasantly surprised on all fronts. The OR boys have been talking a lot about the kite but it never really sparked my interest. After riding it has grabbed my attention! For me I will be stoked to try teaching with this kite and think I would take her out for a ride on the lighter days or when I am wanting to try some handle crashes In big winds or big surf I am going to stick with my trusty Razor
Get out and try one! I’m sure you will Love it

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2010-11-15

PM

Very disapointed to read on kiteforum that there will be no more Rise in the OR line up :-(

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

someone cheer up Dan with some pics of the 2013 razor!

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Richard Myerscough - 20 June 2012 08:29 PM

...the 2013 Razor will also knock it out of the park.
Official news on this kite will have stay locked in the vault until September,..sorry about that!

Would you give some hint of any changes? At least if there are some a tidbit of what characteristic/component of the kite may change. I am wondering if I should pull the trigger now, or wait…i.e. if you are only changing the colors/inflate valve, these don’t matter to me, hence buying now, but if you plan to alter some major performance feature, I may try to hold out.

Pretty please…with suger added…

George

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Once you’ve dialed in the RAZOR you forget all about the RISE & coming soon a dedicated 5M high wind kite:  http://www.nwkite.com/forums/post-167370.php

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

great to see the interest!
We’ll post something as soon as possible,....still busy selling season for 2012 products so we have to respect the market timing.
2013 Razor is refined over 2012,...no big changes like the intro of FST last year (forward swept wing tip) last year. FST is still front row center in 2013.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2010-11-15

PM

No 9m Razor either? so much for my 12,9 razor, 7 rise quiver :-( got some thinking to do

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Just look what the posty brought yesterday. 

I have decided the colours are to bright to risk getting wet , dirty and spoiling them so I will have to keep this kite in it bag in a dark corner.

Yer Sure I will!!!

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

sunrise - 27 July 2012 06:52 AM

I have decided the colours are to bright to risk getting wet , dirty and spoiling them so I will have to keep this kite in it bag in a dark corner.

Well keep yer dirty mits off it then and give to me!! You know I like to demo things thoroughly.

You could have ironed it first. Look at the state of it. You’ve only had 2 minutes

Signature

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Warnign: DO NOT IRON KITES!

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Brent4336 - 27 July 2012 12:48 PM

Warnign: DO NOT IRON KITES!

probably best not but the wrinkled look is kind of what Sunrise is all about.

Signature

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Tried out the Prodigy 14m the other day w the JT Pro 142 and quite liked it.  The kite has a bit more bar pressure than the Razor, but not too much and the kite handling has a nice feel. Very direct and you know where the kite is at all times.  According to a friend, I was holding ground in 9/10knots and I’m 180/5 lbs.  Tried the kite for some unhooked tricks and it seemed solid.  Tried it in the waves w side shore wind soo lots of slack in the lines and the kite handles well - no nose diving or otherwise.  Although the wind was mainly light, hangtime seems decent.  Turning speed a bit toned down from the razor.  Decent relaunch. 3 struts and 3 pulleys in the bridle. The leading edge is a bit beefed up, so I suspect it to be pretty solid in gusty conditions. 

First time on the JJ 142 and I was very pleased.  Much better than my Cabrihna Custom 144cm.  It’s much lighter at 9.8lbs. (including foot pads and fins) and the pop doing unhooked tricks is way better.  With the Cab. custom I needed to be almost overpowered to get enough pop and then passing the bar felt like a death defying stunt!  The JT 142 seperates from the water w less power in the kite and lets you go for it with less consequence.  Looking forward to spending more time on this board and it’s sort of renewed my interest in riding a tt.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

noo noo - 27 July 2012 07:44 AM

Well keep yer dirty mits off it then and give to me!! You know I like to demo things thoroughly.

Now you just wait your turn, you little scamp.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-03-28

PM

Will there be a 9m Razor or Cypher for 2013?

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

It’s getting close. I’m thinking a 12m Cypher and a 10m Razor to add to my 8m Razor. I’ll probably keep my 12m Razor from this year for backup. I’m thinking the 10m Razor will be all I need on most days, and the 12m Cypher may be a bit more mellowed out in lighter wind to learn new stuff. Anyone else?

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Neliiss - 24 August 2012 04:31 PM

Will there be a 9m Razor or Cypher for 2013?

No 9m Razor or Cypher next year - it will be 7, 8, 10, and 12 in both. Better grab a 9m now if that’s your money size, only so many left!

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Hey Richard,
Almost Sept and interested in the next gen of Razor and Cypher.  The Prodigy looks nice, but its not my kite.  Any info on when we can expect a launch?
Any bar changes?

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Why speak to the monkey when the organ grinders Just around the courner?
Bars no idea Cypher looks the part and feedback is good thought I haven’t flown it.
Razor I hope to get a snif early september as long as I smooch donkeys rear ends

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Had a good chat with the guys using my 9.5 Prodigy demo.  All are impressed and they used Razors before.
to sum up
1 Super easy to fly
2 relaunch is effortless
3 kiteloops well
4 good float on jumps
They are moving onto the Prodigy next year from the Razor
I still havn’t flown it and now it is going to Scotland!!