Connecting ring failure

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

Last week I had the connection ring break that holds the swivel to the pulley on the end of the trim line. Needless to say its not good, especially where I was when it happened. Then the next day my buddies also broke! He had bought the kite and bar from me recently. It was purchased at the same time that I bought the one I was using, same batch I assume. They were purchased in the fall of 2010 and are the first 2011 bar and kites delivered to Windance. So check your ring for any cracks. I suspect it was a faulty weld on the ring. Hopefully this is an isolated incident although having 2 break in 2 days is concerning! Anyone else have any issues like this?

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2007-07-09

PM

I have had one of those rings break apart and one of the swivel end open up as well.  However, this is recently but on a 2007 bar with many hours of use.  Inspecting the swivel opening, I suspect sessions with some sand between the ring and swivel eye slowly grinding away at the metal.  In my case it took many years, but at a location with more sand it could happen faster.

I have now added some small SS ‘U’ shakles to my repair kit which got my bar back on the water.  I was able to get it through the webbing and into the upper ring bypassing the swivel.  I thought this might end up causing an increased twist issue, but it turned out to not be the case.  I do tend to keep my rotations relatively equal in both directions.  The small decrease in center line length has not caused any problems either.

Signature

2007 Rise 14M, 12M, 10M.  2011 Rise 8M, 6M.
2011 Razors 12M, 10M, 8M
Pyro Pro

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

http://schaeferhardware.com/detail.aspx?ID=1038 Considering using this or similar. Shackle could be removed & pigtails attached to pin ... This looks interesting: http://www.mutinykites.com/content/mutiny-swivel-0  U.S. supplier: http://www.mutinykites.com/dealer/troll-avionics

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-04-21

PM

I’m not sure if OR has some bad swivels out there or it’s just my Clydesdale weight. I exploded the ring on a swivel from a brand new fusion demo bar last year when demoing some 2012 razors. And now my swivel ring on my fusion bar I bought with my 2012 razors is no longer round but oval. It has about 25 sessions on it. I’ll be replacing it with something stronger before I kite with it again. Big guys beware.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2011-09-03

PM

Hey BigJohn. Call me BigKev :D

Going to check my swivel too. I’ve been eyeing up the Mutiny/Naish swivel too but… it doesn’t look much stronger to me.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-04-21

PM

I kite inland lakes 95% of the time due to my location. So fresh water. I’m going to try out a small climbing swivel with a much high Breaking strength and Load limit on it. Has a SS ball bearing and made out of aluminum. If that doesn’t work I’m putting in a big SS ring.
The swivel OR uses is the same as lots of companies. I think it’s just not suited to Clydsdale riders. Mine seized up after 2 or 3 sessions. They usually have. Even with liberal use of lubricants. Although with the other companies I haven’t had so many rings break. And then again I can put alot more force into my sytem with the fast turning hard pulling Razors and I do like to charge hard.

Ocean Rodeo… any chance you need someone to test new equipment? Even better maybe start a line of Clydsdale/storm equipment? Yes you have the storm kite but it would be nice to get in a size bigger….