My depower lines keep braking.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-06-20

PM

I have a recurring problem with bars that have a de-power below the bar. Because the sheeting line is rope it is constantly braking. I was wondering if this is normal or if there is something i can do to prevent it from happening in the future?

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-09-16

PM

Hey Chase,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your trim line. It should not be ‘constantly breaking’ that is for sure. Most people should get about 6 months out of a trim line, maybe 3-4 if you live in a sandy area and get a ton of days on the water. Some tips for maintenance include:

- Rinsing your bar after every session, sand is the big killer of trim lines
- Lightly waxing your line, keeps grit out of the line. I just use a bit of surf wax
- Most importantly of all, monitor the wear and tear on the line. If it starts to go then replace it, much better than having it break in the middle of a session. Depending on your leashing setup this can mean you have no attachment to the kite and it will be drifting away!

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-06-20

PM

thanks a lot.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Also, I find that sand gets into the bar’s middle hole when setting up, so when I’ve launched and walked to the water’s edge, I give it a dunk in the water to get rid of the sand and make sure there’s nothing abrasive in there.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

vpas - 20 July 2012 11:20 AM

Also, I find that sand gets into the bar’s middle hole when setting up, so when I’ve launched and walked to the water’s edge, I give it a dunk in the water to get rid of the sand and make sure there’s nothing abrasive in there.

Yep that’s the way!

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2007-07-09

PM

These are all great tips.  Give the hole in the bar your lines go thru and the cleat on the chicken loop a close inspection for any burrs or unusualy rough spots.  These could happen from a hard jam of dirt, rock, pebble or some other odd contact in these areas.  If you see something try to carefully smooth the issue out or replace a part if it is real bad.

Signature

2007 Rise 14M, 12M, 10M.  2011 Rise 8M, 6M.
2011 Razors 12M, 10M, 8M
Pyro Pro

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

I broke mine last weekend. I got in around 30 sessions.

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Guys, you should replace the rope earlier, don’t wait till the shit hits ...
If it gets fluffy / thinner; replace… Listen to the admin !  wink