Kite tuning and line setups?

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-08-17

PM

Hi,
So I’m pretty new to kiting (15 sessions or so) and just wanting some tips and info on kite line settings. I have 2011 8m and 10m Razors a with large fusion bar (48cm setting), and they didn’t come with manuals. I found myself feeling really overpowered on my 8m recently when tons of people were on 8m kites handling them just fine. I had about 5-6 inches of depower and the kite was flapping a lot and moving back and forth, while i was almost completely sheeted out. I had the kite on the stock settings out of the bag which are middle setting on back line attachment and the back setting for the bridle, and connecting the kite to the end knot on the back lines from the bar. What can be expected when changing up these connections? and what are some recommended settings cos I have no idea and am a little nervous to mess with them. Also how much can you depower a 2011 razor?

Total Posts: 123

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Hey Ethan,

Welcome to kiteboarding and the Ocean Rodeo Crew!

Ethan - 08 August 2012 04:18 AM

I had the kite on the stock settings out of the bag which are middle setting on back line attachment and the back setting for the bridle, and connecting the kite to the end knot on the back lines from the bar. What can be expected when changing up these connections?

In this case I would say move the front bridle connection forward which will give you more depower. Connecting to the end knot on the back lines of your bar will give you a touch more depower as well (just like you did already), but this really just changes how much trim you need to take in at the bar and is pretty minor.

Moving the front attachment point should definitely help you out a fair bit, although with the added depower you will have to be a bit more sensitive with the kite in lighter winds - so much depower will mean it may stall out a bit easier in very light conditions. That said, this is really not a big issue, you just have to keep the kite gently moving and avoid oversheeting it.

Ned
-OR

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I suspect you need to adjust stretched lines. Tie the ‘loops’ of all 4 lines to a rope attached to a secure point. Grasp the bar & put some force on it to simulate kiting. @ FULL POWER all lines should be equal. Adjust as necessary. Check your lines after ~ every 10 sessions. Kite lines stretch continually, especially the front lines as they take most of the load. p.s. On windy or gusty days you should depower your kite BEFORE LAUNCHING so that when launched it GENTLY rises. Practice makes perfect, it’s easier to add power than take it off !!! You can add power once your safely ON THE WATER. & depower before you return to land. Most serious kiter injuries occur landing & launching kites. Don’t be afraid to let go of the bar if your in doubt about your ability to deal with an overpowered situation or a bad launch/landing. PRACTICE deploying all your safety releases. ( & self rescue !!! ) With respect to depower don’t be afraid to take off as much power as is req’d for/during your session. The O.R. kites will fly with 2 feet of depower if necessary.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2011-08-17

PM

Thanks for the tips! Some good safety pointers there too. I checked my lines and they were WAY off. That explains why I felt so over powered! With 6 inches of depower all my lines became taught. So when I was flying that day and I thought 6 inches was a lot of depower my kite was really fully powered up. Only problem now is that with the trim strap knot all the way at the cleat, my front lines are still a touch droopy and the mini 5th line holds equal load as the front lines.. I also maxed out the length extensions on my back lines..any tips on what I can do now?

Ethan

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

How about sliding the spongy floats from your turning lines & see if you can make your steering (rear) lines longer !!!

Signature

Joined 2011-08-17

PM

I have already adjusted those lines as much as possible. Do I need slightly longer extensions under the floats? or will the steering lines eventually stretch out too?

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

If your lines are stretched that far chances are they need replacing…  for your sake.  They’re not that expensive and your life is pretty much hanging by them!  It concerns me to see the worn state of gear (frayed depower lines, etc.) some riders go out with.  My 9 lives are up so ..... I’m getting a bit more cautious.

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

If your lines are frayed they need replacing. Stretched front lines is not an indication that replacement is necessary. It’s a bit of work but you could switch your front lines with your rear lines !!!

Signature

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2009-08-08

PM

how about swapping front and rear lines?

not too sure if they are the same breaking strain tho.. i think they are…

edit… already said, doh

Joined 2011-08-17

PM

Thanks for the help everyone! Im going to swap the front and rear lines and see how that goes. The bar was brand new 15 sessions ago so cant justify buying new lines when they aren’t frayed or cut.