Go Joe The perfect recovery tool?

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

I tried the Go Joe in the waves out at Bigbury

Is the Go Joe the perfect recovery tool?
Well no but it is certainaly good.
For
1When you come off your board you can see where it is even in big waves.
2 Your board is blown down wind quite quickly meaning that on a small crash you could leave your kite high in the window and your board would come to you.
3 There is no recoil.
4 You don’t know it’s there when you ride
5 No clipping on leashes and tangles.

Against
1 I could not get back to my board when it was caught in the rip.
2 Looks
3 requires unscrewing to swap boards
4 Board offs are not really possible
5 In the waves the board surfs in faster than you can bodydrag!!

To sum up
If I was out on my own and intended to go out the back I consider a leash
if there was a group kiting then the GoJoe would work just fine because even if I couldn’t drag back to it it would make the board easy to see for some one else to pick up. My impression at the end of the day was that that the GoJoe is an impressive product which I will have on my board though it’s not quite the holy grail

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Most of the kiters here who have seen my Go-Joe have had positive things to say about the design and agree its much safer than a leash.
Others have made fun of it. :shock:
Here are some names that a few kiters here in seattle have called my Go-Joe. I think they do this to help them cope with the emotional distress of not having the latest in board recovery technology. Bastards!

Names like-
  “water wings, beer cooler, radar dome, little buddy and air bag.”

ouch :(

So far, after 4 intense storm sessions with the go joe during which I’ve had to kick off when things went wild, the thing was quick to spot and simple to recover, so…kick’n the board off was a low key event. You can push it harder. :twisted:  Surf conditions might be different, floatation can work both ways in that environment, but around here on lakes and these awesome inland seas of puget sound, it seems to really make a loose board much easier to reconnect to. Zero search time and minimal effort to drag to.
It cracks me up to see it sail at an angle down to me. Fun stuff!
:D
I like it!  8)  :idea:  :!:

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Nice graphic Craig !!! Digity digity…I’ve had limited use with my go joe..It sure makes the board easy to spot. Especially in the shore break.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

we realized from the outset it would take some abuse in terms of “cool factor”,...hence the name Go Joe.
Perhaps dressing it in boards short will make it look cooler ,... a bit like Sponge Bob?
For 2008 we’re going to work on somthing VERY evil looking :twisted:

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I’m considering seasonally correct bobble heads. Sorry I missed the pumpkin head for my orange go-joe @ haloween. Seriously, I’m so lame @ board recovery that I’ve used my go-joe with a leash for solo sessions, especially when the surface wind is off shore.

Signature

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

wow man, a go joe and a leash? You must really love your board.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-01-18

PM

should you be out in offshore????

some locations can handle it, but a general rule is that its not the doen thing

Signature

Ocean Rodeo Rep Ireland

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

You are right!
Jimmy,
Offshore bad, :(
Onshore good! :D

A leash and a go joe… lame? maybe, having one handy during a self rescue is nice. I wish I had a mini reel for just that situation…hmmm.

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Sorry about usinfg a link but I am not sure about copy right if I just lifted the photo but its a cracking pic of a bloke riding with a gojoe
http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/viewPhoto.php?photoId=14062
Looks like a mako board but I cant tell from the bar what kite.

editted by johnz - here’s the image:

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

go jo

looks like a mako to me pyro suit and probably a One, he’s geared up.

Jas

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I said SURFACE WIND offshore. My local spot sometimes has on shore wind aloft BUT a dropped board may blow offshore due to different conditions @ the water, as well as a contrary current. @ least towing an upright MAKO (early proto. model with a ton of rocker!) resists the controlled drowning feeling of an upside down board. I know it’s lame but it’s what works for me.

Signature

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

geezus jimmy, thats sound like some wierd stuff to kite in.
I think I saw your spot in the “Clash of the Titans”.
Isn’t that where that bad ass sea monster, the Kracken lives?

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Nothing like that Just light ‘ride-n-hike’  kiting…Getting a little desperate over here in Victoria. Great forecasts / lousy reality.

Signature

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

[quote author=“sunrise”]Sorry about usinfg a link but I am not sure about copy right if I just lifted the photo but its a cracking pic of a bloke riding with a gojoe

I’d like to know who that is actually…they have all our gear on and are using all 07 equipment….Nice job!  :D

JZ :evil: