OR 2013 GEAR

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-03-28

PM

http://oceanrodeo.com/pdf/catalogue-2013-mid.pdf
What do you guys think about the new 2013 gear?

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

That doesn’t look finished, the Cypher, surfboards and JT are the exact same as last year.

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi ajones, not last year but this year smile
I think it says 2013-mid, like an update. I wonder if it’s supposed to go mainstream. JohnZ?
Myself curious about the Prodigy. Razor graphics are pretty brutal. I’m liking the white roof on the 2012 though.

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah I like the Prodigy graphics, I was hoping that’s the scheme for this year with the Razor/Cypher too.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-03-28

PM

The bar looks like the north trust bar.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Love the Razor with white struts and leading edge and an orange canopy, getting a 10m in that colourscheme for sure!

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Joris strikes again and posts the catalog online with the obvious file name easily found by Google. D’oh! I was going to push this update out today anyway however, so dig in.

To address some comments here:

- 2013 Razor is a very nicely updated version of last season’s kite. Whereas 2011-2012 was a huge jump forward the 2013 Razor builds on the success and character of the 2012 kite and incorporates some refinements on the design, the LE construction and the bridle to give the kite a bit more stability, especially against stalling
- 2013 Makos are the same sizes as last year but all now incorporate the rounded rails that we 1st introduced last year with just the smaller sizes. This helps hold an edge, especially in chop. (Think of a running water tap and holding the bottom edge of a spoon to the water flow, the flow will draw to the spoon).
- Prodigies are all new and very exciting kites, some amazing reviews already circulating
- Force is the all new storm kite. Designed for higher winds but also just for really gnarly conditions the kite offers a huge wind range to suck up the lulls and handle the gusts and it is over built for durability and stability with 5 struts and extra reinforcements and ultra bright colours the Force is necessary survival equipment for all serious kiters.
- Flite remains our light wind weapon of choice, no updates at this time to the kite
- Cypher remains our unhooked park & wake kite for the season with an aggressive price drop and no updates at this time.

For 2013 we’ve moved to a blended model of both Generational and Seasonal products. The JT Pro & Surf Series boards and the Flite, Force & Prodigy kites are all Generational with 2nd and 3rd Gen versions (Flite 2.0) coming down the pipes but moving away from the September update. The Razor and the Mako will remain Seasonal for us with planned 12 month rotations.

John Z

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Down to one drysuit?

Would love to hear a bit more on the Force.  I’m a 6m small kite guy, but I guess I cant be stuck on a number.  There is no 6 on offer right now.  In a small kite, that 1m makes a big diff.  I know a 7m is going to be too much at times, but a 5 tends to be too little most of the time. 

What kind of range are the testers reporting on that little thang?  Low end especially.  I have no doubts a 5 has the top end in spades.

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

The Pyro Pro and the Surf Dry are now both officially being sold down and cleared out to make way for a total re-vamp of the drysuit line up. The Soul is the vanguard of this overhaul. Expect a newer version of the Surf Dry (3.0!) by this time next year as well as a 3rd suit to round the line up out.

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Surf Dry 3.0
Nice!  Wanna see that.

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Ok, so when does shipping begin of the Razor/Cypher?

Any changes to the bars/lines?

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

2013 Razors ship this month, Cyphers have had a significant price drop and are shipping immediately along with the Prodigies. Bar and lines for 2013 are the same 3 models but an all new raw bar. The bar is much simpler with better eva foam grip and finger slots and a re-designed center hole to reduce line wear.

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

johnz - 04 September 2012 08:30 PM

2013 Razors ship this month, Cyphers have had a significant price drop and are shipping immediately along with the Prodigies. Bar and lines for 2013 are the same 3 models but an all new raw bar. The bar is much simpler with better eva foam grip and finger slots and a re-designed center hole to reduce line wear.

Sounds great, I like everything about the simplicity of the bar, just needed the center hole re-designed, perfect.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

Looking Good! I like the idea of evolution rather than an abrupt model year change. I am really interested to see what changes there are for the Surf Dry.

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Just noticed the new bar.  Kinda sad to see the iconic and original OR bar dissapear.  I loved the soft bar ends, on the other hand its also great to see a prompt response to centre line wear concerns.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-10-04

PM

it’s really good to see the Razor updated in some backstalling & unhooked perfomance because it’s a really good kite,
the bar i think it will be better but hope for the chickenloop to change at next year’s bar aswell…

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-06-13

PM

As a member of OR Crew for the last 3-4 years I think we should get a much better bar than the 2012!!! The CL is too small for unhooking (or hooking back in after the trick) and if you pass the big ring of the safety inside the safety strap (... so that you get a deadleash) the CL gets too bulky! Except that, the plastic part of the CL, under the bar, that sets the CL straight for hooking easily, it tends to wear pretty soon! I would like to see some aluminum part there! The soft bar ends of the previous models are absolutely necessary and really helpful for kiteloops so I want them back, as also for the original OR curved bar with e better center hole that dont let the ropes hurt you! The grip should change, to be softer for many hours kiting, and personally I prefer no “fingers” because I have small hands and I cant hold the bar wherever I want! After that I think OR should consider changing the position of the swivel at the freestyle bar because at kiteloops the ropes crossover one each other at that exact position and they cause inefficient swivel and possible tangling of one of the back lines at the swivel ends and of course rope wearing!!!

Last but most important of all above is the quality of the ropes! I really envy slingshot bars for that reason and is the main reason that make me wanna buy another brands bar to set up my 7m and 10m lovely Raors!

Hope my desires ring some bells to the technical team of OR so that the 2013 bars are a lot better ...and not just a little better than the previous models!

With much love for kitesurfing..John!
Greetings from Greece!

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-02-18

PM

On the new bars, is there 2 sizes of bar? A 49 and a 55 or is it one bar with the ability to change widths back and forth as in 2012?

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

I don’t want to see the Razor change at all.  Had a completely mental day looping the 8m on a flat water spot that seldom gets clean wind.  The 8m makes kiteloops soo easy- like a walk in the park!

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2009-08-08

PM

not liking the white leading edges, would get way too dirty where i kite.

shame as i was wanting to upgrade this year..

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

matix - 21 September 2012 09:12 PM

not liking the white leading edges, would get way too dirty where i kite.

shame as i was wanting to upgrade this year..

I am looking forward to those nice very visable cool looking struts and leading edge with brilliant orange canopy.

You can always clean up the kite with mild soap and water and some rubbing.

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Sitka999 - 18 September 2012 08:23 PM

On the new bars, is there 2 sizes of bar? A 49 and a 55 or is it one bar with the ability to change widths back and forth as in 2012?

There are indeed 2 sizes of bar - a 48 and 55 cm version. No changing widths as with the 2011/12 bars. We found 90%+ of people never took advantage of this feature anyway.

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Summery of riding the 2013 12m Razor

It’s a Razor

End of Summery

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Questions: 2013 Razor.

1. Does it fly deeper back in the window than the Cypher?
2. Is the top end as high as the Rise?
3. What settings for least amount of bar pressure?
4. What differences have been done to the leading edge construction and bridle compared to 2012?
5. How does the 2013 Razor compare to the Rise and Cypher.
6. Does the Razor go upwind easily enough?

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

To answer your questions read about the 2012 Razor and you will have your answers

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

sunrise - 01 October 2012 06:32 AM

To answer your questions read about the 2012 Razor and you will have your answers

So basically it’s a 2012 Razor with a white leading edge.

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

sunrise - 30 September 2012 04:36 PM

Summery of riding the 2013 12m Razor

It’s a Razor

End of Summery

And kite review of the year goes to….........................

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

personally I wouldn’t want anything changed to the 2012 Razor. This kite brings that smile on your face that takes days to come off.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2012-10-01

PM

Still very happy with my 2012 razors, got the 10 and 7. Was thinking of maybe going 12/9/7 this year for better overlap but i see to few changes to the razor to warrant an upgrade. Besides, the razor has infinite range, using my 10 from 15-30kn and 7 from 25-40+kn (72kgs on 132x41 TT).

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

El Rudo - 01 October 2012 12:39 PM

personally I wouldn’t want anything changed to the 2012 Razor. This kite brings that smile on your face that takes days to come off.

Not going to argue with you there Rudo. It’s alll about very fine lines with things now and I’ve long since found out that the OR kit is more than a little bit good and it’s the lump in a wetsuit at the bar end that’s the problem.
I’m certainly interested in giving the Prodigy and Cypher (I still haven’t got my hands on one) a go to see how they go. From my experience OR kites have a certain personality and style for want of a better word. I’m intrigued to see how they fit into that.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2011-09-19

PM

noo noo - 02 October 2012 08:20 AM
El Rudo - 01 October 2012 12:39 PM

Not going to argue with you there Rudo. It’s alll about very fine lines with things now and I’ve long since found out that the OR kit is more than a little bit good and it’s the lump in a wetsuit at the bar end that’s the problem.
I’m certainly interested in giving the Prodigy and Cypher (I still haven’t got my hands on one) a go to see how they go. From my experience OR kites have a certain personality and style for want of a better word. I’m intrigued to see how they fit into that.

Noo Noo where are you based? I have a 12m Cypher here in Cornwall…your more than welcome to have a crack on it….it’s a beauty of a kite!

Craig

Signature

Craig Smith
Ocean Rodeo Uk
Blankforce Kiteboarding
Blast Kiteboarding
http://www.craigsmith.me.uk

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Friends new 2013 8m Razor ..maiden voyage today…Crissy Field 10/10/2012
I was on my 10m Cypher…one of those days were anything from 7m to 12m on the water.
Something the pictures do not capture well is the very shinny finnish and pearlesent white color.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I have to say 2 things..
1; very nice looking Razor
2; I have to admit I’m Jealous.. wink

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Though being the owner of a 9.5 Prodigy for months I have only just become the keeper. The weather has been so determined to prevent me becoming the kite land interface that it was only yesterday the connection was made.
I hear over the pond our cousins are spending loads of spondoolies on publicising themselves as the greatest leader of the free world ( If it a free world why do they spend so much)
so is the Razor or the Prodigy the next great leader of the kitting world?
Well one side has a power house quick and agile.  Though in true Republican style will give you a good beating if you upset it.
On the other a gentle responsive and altogether a mellower kite which works with you and caresses your every move.
The Razor is for those who know where they are going and want to get there and do things.
Going big or “dolly dangling” The Razor urges you on the next move .  Power , come on stay with me.
The Prodigy well you will get where you want to be with ease but not stress . If you go up you float Rise style down . Ride a wave the kite just waits for you
it you crash, it takes off. The Prodigy is just so easy.
Which would I vote for.
Impossible I have only flown 1 prodigy
On initial trial
12m Razor for speed and bottom end.  Small Prodigy for ease and slower speed in strong winds.
Crossover point yet to be decided but I can see the 9.5 being my go to kite.

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

I have a question about FST.  Why not a straight LE section angled a touch more forward from where the last strut ties in to get your front line attachment point where you want it instead of the complexity of a zig zag section?

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Thank you Ocean Rodeo !
My new 2013 razors have arrived, Red 10m, Orange 8m.

Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mucho Gracias

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Hi Brent,
We actually tried that on some sample Razors and they didn`t perform as well as the zig zag version. The testers all preferred the zz.
  Ross

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah, my new 10m Razor just arrived, has anyone received a Fusion bar yet? Any pics/details? Just wondering if any changes were made with the depower line/center hole, a couple of kiters around here are asking.

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Pics of the new 2013 Ocean Rodeo freeride kite bar.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Hard or soft plastic…hum….hum…medium plastic ?

No more size adjustable, but most did not use that option apparently.

Also the lines are back to old school material.

Looks like the bungee line keeps are beefier, and the quick release bungee is stronger too.

The bar end horns are bigger and easier to wind up the lines.

The velcro for the oh-shit handles on the steering lines are redesigned so they do not come loose.

There is now a ball on the trim line between the slider and the bar.

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Further observations on the new bar, the pulley now is protected by a stretchy neoprean cover makeing it easier to replace the trim line, before it was protected by hard heat shrink plastic. Also the trim line is about 8 inches longer than last year.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2009-08-08

PM

1956kiteboarder - 11 November 2012 03:23 AM

Further observations on the new bar, the pulley now is protected by a stretchy neoprean cover makeing it easier to replace the trim line, before it was protected by hard heat shrink plastic. Also the trim line is about 8 inches longer than last year.

i just cut off the black plastic, then you can clean the pulley as well.

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah, I just got the new Fusion bar, is there any reason for the new hard plastic ends? I’m just wondering if there’s advantages I did not think of. The lines look stronger, and the middle hole appears to be bigger but I’m not positive.

Any other design details on why things were changed?

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

ajones - 05 December 2012 12:22 AM

Yeah, I just got the new Fusion bar, is there any reason for the new hard plastic ends? I’m just wondering if there’s advantages I did not think of. The lines look stronger, and the middle hole appears to be bigger but I’m not positive.

Any other design details on why things were changed?

+1
I would like to know it as well

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

Do not freakout guys, I too was aprehensive when I first looked at the new bars, But after using them in some crazy storms comming through made me realize how much nicer they are to use, with many sutle improvements that ad up to a great kitebar. The longer you look the more changes you will notice.

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah I used the new Fusion Bar for the first time yesterday, here’s my pros/cons:

Pros
1. Bar/Grip Contours
2. Lines seem stronger, or at least they don’t tangle as easily.
3. Clean, simple design as usual
4. Bungees are holding the lines on, the curving on the bar ends is more effective holding the lines when packing up.

Cons
1. The stopper ball just gets in the way, I like having the the stopper piece that is typical, that’s pretty much a requirement with the freeride/fusion bars, but I don’t see a lot of added value in the stopper ball.

2. The hard plastic ends I could see smacking someone in the head in a wipeout. Pretty unlikely to happen, but if it does, or if one of the bar ends gets your eye, it’s going to hurt.

3. The middle hole needs a sacrificial piece so that it wears out instead of the depower rope. This makes sense, because once that inside hole gets a tiny scratch or imperfection in it, it’s like a razor on the depower line.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2011-08-25

PM

Neliiss - 04 September 2012 03:30 PM

The bar looks like the north trust bar.

it is for shur not the truster bar!!! not even in the near of!! and working better!!

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2011-09-03

PM

What happened to the Cypher? Seems to have disappeared from catalog and website…

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

kamikuza - 10 March 2013 12:16 PM

What happened to the Cypher? Seems to have disappeared from catalog and website…

Good question. The Cypher has been discontinued for 2013. We have been finding the Prodigy has been such a strong evolution from the Cypher and shares so many characteristics that it has effectively taken the lead!

Riders of the Cypher will love the stability and ease of flight delivered by the Prodigy and it will also provide some familiar low end grunt.

Ned
Ocean Rodeo