Fusion VS Freestyle

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2012-05-14

PM

Hello all,

I have a 2011 10 m rise and a 15m flite.  I have a fusion bar for both kites. I like it on the 15 as the depower increases the wind range before i’m in trouble.

The problem in the below the bar trim. Now I guess that is fixed by the Freestyle, however the throw that I like is not there by the looks of things.

Is there a “conversion” or an option to purchase just the above the bar system to convert my fusion? I’d like to leave a little more throw on it. Do you see problems with this?

Is there an option from OR?

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I don’t think it’s that simple. Of course you can purchase the freestyle trim strap as an extra but you’d need to mess with the line lengths on all 4 lines. If the issue is pulling in some de-power on the Fusion bar (or Freeride for that matter) I find it helpful to go down wind momentarily just to give some slack in the front lines. That way de-powering is a simple task. For someone who doesn’t do unhooked stuff (well not until I retire anyway) the Fusion bar is as good as it gets. Hope this helps?

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I agree with Andy, it is a conversion you could do but it would be a fair bit of effort. We do have the parts for you though, you’d need a FS trim line and a FS Trim strap to make the adjustment and then would want to pay close attention to the resulting line lengths.

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Cant argue with what’s been said above.
The fusion bar gives you the maximum range from your kite. The Freestyle bar limits it as the trimstrap doesn’t have the range you can get with the cleat. I find the throw adequate on the Freestyle bar so it’s just down to kite range and whether you like above or below the bar depower

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-06-13

PM

Kehler - 18 September 2012 09:44 PM

Hello all,

I have a 2011 10 m rise and a 15m flite.  I have a fusion bar for both kites. I like it on the 15 as the depower increases the wind range before i’m in trouble.

The problem in the below the bar trim. Now I guess that is fixed by the Freestyle, however the throw that I like is not there by the looks of things.

Is there a “conversion” or an option to purchase just the above the bar system to convert my fusion? I’d like to leave a little more throw on it. Do you see problems with this?

Is there an option from OR?

Hi dude!These are both big to very big kite sizes so you need the length (23m lines) and the “depower throw” of the fusion! Ocean rodeo kites, especially Rise, can flight pretty good when depowered so you can use the extra throw of the cleat depower and the fusion is the perfect bar for them!
As told above, you need to go little downwind and maybe -at the same time- move your hand upper in the bar so you depower all lines and “stall” your kite for just a second! Then you pull Right and then diagonal Right-Down… if you are right-handed!! All cleats works the same ..First they un-cleat only when they have no tension!!..thenyou pull to the one side only, so the rope get loose from the cleat and then you pull down and away from the cleat so the rope moves easily to the desired position, then you bring the rope to the cleat hole and power your kite by your hand in the bar!!! As you power up, the rope that is already at the hole of the cleat it “catches an edge” and after that you continue the ride and the rope is always under tension at the cleat!!.
Thats it…just practice the timing of getting loose ropes and uncleating at the same time! Remember Out and then Down!

Have fun!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

You could Mcgiver a setup like the racers are using: http://kiteboardbc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6303

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2012-05-14

PM

Thanks folks.

I agreee re: the amount of depower the fusion gives is wicked for these kites… I rip the 15 in 23 knot wind when my 10 was getting fixed… So this is true. I believe the technique with going down wind is good and I am still learning, but I guess I get over powered and too focused on holding my edge and depowering the kite by pushing body/board up wind…
I’ll work on the down wind and down and out on the kleet and I should get it.

I guess the other thing is I somtimes ride that 15 out of it’s range (I’m 180lbs) and it’s hard to get slack on my lines enough to get the trim out.

Anywho… I’ll keep working with the fusion and maybe get a freestyle with my next kite.

Thanks again!

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

jl - 19 September 2012 03:35 PM

You could Mcgiver a setup like the racers are using: http://kiteboardbc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6303

Look at the new Core Sensor bar for inspiration. It is a cleaned up version of the Mcgiver rig shown. I have some Core kites with the Sensor bar with above the bar cleat and I have the Freestyle bar for my Rise 9M. The Freestyle bar did not have enough throw for my tastes so I put in a much longer depower rope and compensated the line length on the center lone and it is good to go. Works very nicely.

If you can tolerate below the bar depower then the advice give is fine.

Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

andy - 18 September 2012 09:56 PM

I don’t think it’s that simple. Of course you can purchase the freestyle trim strap as an extra but you’d need to mess with the line lengths on all 4 lines. If the issue is pulling in some de-power on the Fusion bar (or Freeride for that matter) I find it helpful to go down wind momentarily just to give some slack in the front lines. That way de-powering is a simple task. For someone who doesn’t do unhooked stuff (well not until I retire anyway) the Fusion bar is as good as it gets. Hope this helps?

Yes that is quote right to see the proper working of board. I also have this type of question but your post will be much beneficial for me. My big brother is a professional surfer and he is my ideal person.