Trainer LEI kite

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-02-20

PM

I am getting back into the sport after a 10 year break. Work, wife and 3 kids.
I have a 4 line foil, non-depower, trainer kite that is fun to relearn the basic skills and do some landboarding with.
My question is if OR is planning on making a Prodigy 2m trainer kite to replace the 2m Rise?
I looked at going to the 3m but need to keep cost in check for the moment.
I plan on using it to learn LEI setup, fly for fun in open field / limited lake beaches.  And of course, let the kids eventually fly it as a transition from the foil kite.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

In your situation you are in the market for a second hand 5m LEI to trash around and learn . Then look for the kite you need to start kitesurfing

Joined 2013-02-20

PM

That is sound advice. I will continue to save and fly my foil until I find a 5m. I have my eyes on the OR Prodigy 5m because it could also work for the kids in a few years and decide if I want to grab a 9.5m. Also toying with the 2m Rise to play with on our grass feild.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

The 2m Rise Trainer is an excellent kite.  Built with the same materials as the other Rise kites but with three struts (also not a single point inflation).  You can fly it on any 4 line bar although it does come with its own bar and lines (trainer lines so not the same stregth as regular 600lb Ocean Rodeo lines).

Your kids can fly it too but take care to follow all the regular kite rules regarding launching and landing.  Its pretty quick so creates apparant wind and with that, quite a pull if you are not ready for it!

My 7 year old flies mine.

Brad

Signature

St. John’s Newfoundland

Joined 2013-02-20

PM

Great, thanks for the review. I might start with that, then slowly upgrade as money and time permits. Harness, freeride bar, Prodigy 5m, ect.

What is the lightest wind that the 2m will fly well in?
Thanks