Choosing my first Ocean Rodeo LEI

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-02-28

PM

Looking for advice on my First LEI Kite. Picked up snow kiting. Have a 5m and 9m. open foils. looking to hit the water this spring. Great lakes Area, mixed wind gusts with rough choppy waves.I weigh 140 pds 5’ 6” athletic male. I am leaning to the Prodigy, What size is the Question, looking for some help on sizes to consider.

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

9.5 Prodigy should see you fine. Start with a large board as they are easier to get going with less power.
Though can obviously kite well . Take a days lesson to learn all the tips and how to safely launch and recover your kite.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

Another vote here for the Prodigy. It has a lot of depower at the bar but riding along with it it is very easy to keep the power on for simple planing.

I enjoy flying mine a lot, I find it is not as tiring as some kites in rough conditions, probably because it needs less input, something I think you’ll be grateful for in the Lakes in a blow.

Signature

Out there somewhere, takin’ it easy…

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2012-12-20

PM

I weigh a bit more than you at 160lb ish, I received a 9.5m Prodigy on demo around the end of Oct last year and this being the only kite I was using I had chance to test it’s wind ranges to the max. The first few sessions were what you would normaly use a 9m kite in but then we had some big winds and with the back lines set slack and with a good amount of de-power the kite able to cope with 40 knot gusts. Of course it was stretching the upper limit and I would not endorse using a 9.5m in that kind of wind but I was testing it fully. At the other end of the scale I turned up for a session that was around 11 knots gusting max 14 knots and I was planing easily on the 9.5m Prodigy whilst others were on 13 and 14m kites. I really like the Prodigy and now have 4 sizes for personal use and teaching on, the Prodigy is excellent for teaching on and even though I have been kitesurfing for over 11 years and compete at a high level at speed the Pridigy is giving me some excellent results. In all my time kitesurfing I can’t remember having a kite that ticks so many boxes.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-02-28

PM

Thank s for the feed back, Sunrise suggested a “large board”.  Please explain further on measurements and manufactures.

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

For your firs board it does not matter whether new or used or who makes it as you will be spending your time getting going not looking at how much power it holds and pop .
Look 138 ish by 40 .  This is going to be to big for you later on but will be good as a light wind board.  Once you are riding well and jumping you will be able to try other peoples boards and get a feeling of what suits