Soul Drysuit with feet or cuffs

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

So my friend, you Crew members know him as the Mako Cadger, decided that he is tired of being left out of the early vanguard that hit the water when it is 2 C. He now wants a drysuit and I am telling him to get the Soul. He says that he doesn’t want one because the Soul has ankle seals instead of integrated latex socks.

I know that this has been up in the forum before but can some of you explain to Peter Bjarke (oops I used his name) why ankle seals are a good solution for cold water kite surfing?

My Pyro Pro from 2006 is still going strong and I was out myself in 2 C water without any problems.. on my feet anyway! Hands were another matter.

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 123

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

A good question and one we frequently get.

The Soul currently comes with latex ankle seals for a few different reasons from a manufacturer’s perspective:

1) Latex socks would be much more fragile and would require a boot over top to protect it anyway - thus why not just go with a regular neoprene surf booty to begin with. It’s the booty that keeps you warm, just having latex between water and your feet will not keep you that warm at all (although admittedly dry).

2) With latex seals and not socks, you have the choice of going barefoot when conditions are warmer but still cool/cold water temperature. For those of us using the suit for SUP, kiteboarding, or other boardsports, we generally prefer the least amount of material between our feet and the board as possible. This gives the best connection to your board.

3) If you are kitesurfing your feet are moving and tactile. With the drysuit and a good pair of booties my feet never get cold whatsoever, despite ridiculously miserable conditions around me. The extra body heat you now have because of wearing a drysuit helps keep your extremities nice and toasty.

We find most folks who insist on having the built in socks/boots are into sports where their feet are not moving. If your feet are wet and not moving, it makes sense to keep them dry, but it takes minimal movement to keep them warm otherwise when wearing a Soul drysuit.

Hopefully that helps!

Ned
Ocean Rodeo

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I can add that it’s easier to rinse out boots once you’ve stunk them up - than a whole drysuit!

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

El Rudo - 11 March 2013 06:40 PM

I can add that it’s easier to rinse out boots once you’ve stunk them up - than a whole drysuit!

Yeah, I find my Pyro Pro easier to rinse out and dry than if they had booties attached that would pool water and condensation. Yes, I normally give the inside of the suit a rinse. Maybe not every time though but every other time.

Kirk

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide