mako 135 upwind technique

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-04-09

PM

Hi, I m struggling going upwind with mako 135. What is the technique for it? are there videos anywhere? I thought it was me, but today I tried a wider twin tip and I was upwinding like a boss even though the wind dropped considerably.

Thanks
Mikhail

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Sounds like under powered. . Unless you are very light the 135 loves to be driven fairly hard with reasonable board speed. If you are signing the kite and riding slow then upwind will be a struggle.
That said with power the 135 flies up wind and will hold on like a banker to his bonus .

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Compared to them rectangular twin tips the makos can be ridden upwind holding the full length of the rail down,  rather than pressing the tail in. In light wind you might try to ride the board flatter.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-04-09

PM

When in light winds I try to turn it and its okish, until i slow down. When powered I go so fast I find it hard to turn it, and if I press the rail down I get lots of water splash from the front heel in the water and my ass hits the water too

Total Posts: 126

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Mikhail,

The 135 is my personal favourite, and the local money board for OR home office area folks. All of these fine folks have you pointed in the right direction (upwind wink ). The Makos are admittedly not upwind machines compared to your regular rectangle TT as Rudo says and they do require a bit different technique.

Keep the board speed up and ride a bit flatter (as previously mentioned). As you build up speed start to lean back a bit and engage the rail. Try to maintain traction and power in the turns as best you can - starting from scratch means you’ll lose a chunk of ground in lighter conditions, no way around that.

Hope that helps!

Ned
Ocean Rodeo

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Baby Makos like to have a steady pull through the kite. Upwind is a result of initially bearing off to get planning then continually edge upwind while keeping the power on. Keep the kite moving to find where the wind is. Sin the kite in the lulls. If your but is hitting the water stand more upright !!! The key is more time on the water !!! If the wind is light, or your kite a little small for conditions it’s time for a larger board. I use the 150 wide MAKO during puffy sessions & grab my 130 as soon as the wind fills in.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…