Self Lauching using the direct depower

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-09-25

PM

Hey… just wanted to ask for tips in using the direct depower while lauching from the beach. Obviously this is an advanced skill but a useful one if you’ve forgotten your caribiner / leash and no one’s around to assist a launch.
Our local beach isn’t the most ideal location but in the right conditions etc. it would be nice to learn and practice.

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

great topic,..very interested to see what techniques are being used specific to the roll over bridle design,..
My main kite spots feature very limited beach widths at bad wind angles with lots of obstacles (beach debris like large boulders, tree branches and logs). I still use the old technique of folding over one wing tip and weighting it with big pile of heavy gravel or sand.(its a good idea to leash your kite off while your setting up the kite,..perhaps to heavy log,..you dont want it taking off while you heading back to your bar). 
I walk back quickly to my bar after weighting the kite and connect my leash and then hook into the chicken loop,..I really keep a constant eye on my kite during all this.
I slowly walk back powering up the kite,..if all looks good I “pop” the sand of the wing tip and fly the kite up. You have to make sure all your bridals are free and clear before initiating lift off. Because of bad angles at my local spots,..these launches can be quite “hot”,..you want lots of throw (sheeting range) on your bar for de-power as the kite surges to the edge of the window. Also,...I always self launch away from the beach goers in case I have an issue with the kite.

If the launch goes wrong,..,my first action is to just let go of the bar ( I use a free-ride bar with no stopper due to the sketchy launches and landing we have deal with). By letting go of the bar, the de-power bridals give me max power via the roll over action - this is the same de-power you would get releasing the chicken loop and going to your leash.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Self launch with the roll over bridle: 1. I walk my lines out & attach to kite 2. I secure my safety line to a solid object upwind of my kite & with a clear area through a 180 degree arc from the safety line 3. I position my kite in the launch position @ which point it rolls onto it’s back 4. I hook onto my safety line which has run out a considerable distance depending on the wind strength 5. I gently pull the safety line towards me until I can grasp the bar 6. I feed line from the safety back into the depower cleat of my bar until I have a suitable depower applied 7. I gently tug on the top steering line until my kite goes through a launch 8. I adjust depower as required & proceed to the water.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2012-09-25

PM

Thanks guys.. after seeing Richard M. do this a couple times I thought it would be nice to try. However, I figured you’d run your lines from weather directly downwind to your kite. Once rigged, roll the kite from LE to its back and while holding your two centre lines run back to your bar with tension on these lines, connect leash, hook into chicken loop, depower accordingly then pull bar towards ya. once the kite is connected to your harness and bar in hand its just a simple relaunch.

Again there isn’t an ideal location anywhere in Victoria other than Willows on a low tide…. and this can be hard on your gear!

Today I used the old rope to chicken loop, walk the kite out, run back and launch technique… then because Gordos died headed in and ejected!

Cheers
Adrian or on BWD abetanzo

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

It works @ I.V. if you secure your safety line to the gazebo

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…