PM

Hi Clarency,
here’s a good one from Dom: http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewthread/4158/
cheers,
Rudo

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Good old JZ provided a good selection for us guys out at Hatteras crew event.
I have now been on the 14 ,12, and 9.5 With out repeating my self for each kite take it a read the Prodigy is one of the easiest kites to fly in all conditions I have encountered.
14 was on the ocean in moderate to light .  I can say the 14 turns fast, pulls well up wind ,Long floaty jumps but like all big kites not so good on a wave face
12 I ran the 12 prodigy back to back with the 12 Razor both at the top end and beyond.
The Razor had way more grunt an really ripped you off the water. The down side was 90% of the time you where responding to the kite which was tiring .
Prodigy You where in control Jumps where big and floaty Gusts where absorbed just way more fun .
The Razor you responded to the kite . The Prodigy you where in control of the kite. 
I know the bottom end of the Razor is stunning and for freestyle it is brilliant
9.5 mid to top end wind range. F——ing awesome Nuff said..
Who should buy which
Freestyle Razor no question A solid sky hook with loads of feel
Freeeride 2 kites If you want to cover a big wind range I would look at a Razor for the big kite to get the bottom end then prodigy
            1 kite Prodigy no question
Waves Dom’s posts cover that.
New to the sport . The Prodigy is just so easy you will really move on quickly.
Putting my money where my mouth is.
I have a 14 Prodigy and 9.5 prodigy. My 12m razor need replacing. I have a dilemma I love the Razor bottom end and the full on power but the prodigy is just a dream to fly. I am still undecided.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2012-12-20

PM

I have a couple of write ups further back on here about the Prodigy including back to back tests with the Razor and Rise. I first had the 9.5m sent and that was the only kite I used for a couple of months in all winds from 12 knots to gusts of 40, although I managed the upper range I would not reccommend it for everyone as I was speed riding not freestying or free-riding. In short I am an instructor and the Prodigy is perfect for students and I have a decent speed pedigree and started kitesurfing in 2001 and the Prodigy is the best kite I can ever remember using. If you are into wakestyle freestyle then it may not be for you and the Razor would be the weapon of choice but for me it was too agressive for my liking but each to their own at the end of the day. Either way I can’t see me changing from Ocean Rodeo and the customer service is excellent, they actually care about what you think and value your feedback, win win all round.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Got out on the Prodigy 14m in 15-20knots today and was very pleased with the hang time.  It doesn’t rip you off the water like the Razor, but it has the best hangtime of any LEI that I’ve used which helps with the board offs.  Earlier this week I got out wave riding on the Prodigy 9.5m in the waves in crazy gusty punchy side shore winds 10- 25knots, air temperature 6 celcius.  I usually use the Razor in the waves, but wanted to try the Prodigy for a change and ..... it was quite good.  It handles the gusts well, doesn’t do anything weird, and turns well enough in side shore wind and drifts well enough that it was a solid kite choice.  In the waves I’m still partial to the razor due to faster turning and constant pull thru the loops, but the Prodigy is my choice for doing old school tricks.  One last thing, the Prodigy doesn’t seem to require any trimming for going unhooked.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2012-11-22

PM

Hi guys,

I was just down in Hatteras and I talked to an instructor from KittyHawk Kites and he said the Prodigy overflies like crazy and he doesn’t like using it for training at all…...

I have a brand new 9.5 still factory wrapped that I bought to teach my girlfriend on and don’t know if I should fly it or sell it…?
If it overflies that really sucks for teaching with….....
Any feed back from instructors on this point?

Blake

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

I think the instructor may be some what biased to other brands. Shame he allows that to colour his opinion.  May be he is not current and still leaves a kite above his head believing the Zenith is a safe place for a kite. We gave that idea up 10 years ago.
I am now 15 years into the kite instruction game and apart from the Peter Lynn Arc kite, have not found a kite as east to instruct with as the Prodigy..
My school kites this year where going to be a mixture of Prodigy and Razors but mow are 100% prodigy
What more can I say

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2013-01-15

PM

Hey Blake,
I think that we figured out what was happening with that instructor’s experience….he was not moving the stopper down which was causing the bar to have way too much throw in it.  This is something that one needs to adjust with below the bar depower systems. 
The feedback that we are getting from instructors teaching with our kite is “Thank you for this kite”.
What bar do you have to use with the kite that you bought for your girlfriend?  If it is an OR Freeride or Fusion, you will want to make sure that the stopper is moved down to an arm’s length from the chicken loop. 
I look forward to your experience with the Prodigy.

Todd