General Rise 2m trainer advice

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-02-20

PM

I am 180lbs and come from non-depowerable foil kite landboarding/snowkiting.  I just received my 2m OR Rise trainer kite and am enjoying flying a non-foil kite. I have flown a 5m C kite some on land and that’s it for SLE.

During my last session (land, wind S, 10-15 kts gust 20) I had to move the outside trailing edge lines to full extension (bar comes stock at one knot down) do to continued stalling when fully sheeted in. I was able to assisted launch with the bar sheeted 1/2 way out or more, any more power an kite would not lift. I continued to back stall kite in flight any time I tried to sheet in and power kite and had to sheet out multiple times in-order to keep kite flying. Got a good 100 meter down wind ride on the land board when wind picked up to approximate 20 kts and I was working the kite. Still a fun and safe session!
I am thinking that all this is probably pilot error and wind not steady or strong enough smile

Questions:
I have the back lines full length, is there any way to trim the bar out so I am able to fly the kite fully powered and or so I am not flying with my arms almost fully extended in neutral flight?

Has anyone rigged a loop onto the quick relese ejection, in-order to use a harness? This would be nice to drop the web waist strap that comes with it. I have a OR session harness and some ideas, but I would like to hear from some of you first.

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Hi Colt
If the kite is stalling,(back flying) you need to sheet out, or extend your arms. If you sheet out to much,...the kite may accelerate over head and luff over. If this occurs a quick input of back line tension (pull the bar in) will slow the climb. The trainer kites, once mastered makes the transition to full size 4 line inflatable kites a snap helpng hone the skills of kite trim.
Yes you can use the session harness , however it’s very important not to leash off to any section of hook with the quick release tab. The release tab must go through a ring no smaller than that one provided on the waist belt. If using your Session harness, leash off to the leash ring that came your harness. The leash ring loops over the spreader bar and exits through the moulded slot on the spreader bar pad cover.
Thanks for going OR with your kite. Any more questions please fire away!

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-02-20

PM

Thanks for all of the insight. I figured I was over controlling the kite as my natural movements with the bar are all from 3 line foils, hence the reason I got this kite to learn new things. Im really not a kook! We fly this on a grass airstrip in the Memphis area, with no access to formal instruction or any other kiters.  I’ve been out of the game since 2002, lots have changed.  I’ve replaced the ring and web belt with an old Naish chicken loop (just the loop part) so when I eject the origional OR safety the loop just stays hooked to my harness and bar goes, just like the origional design. No leash yet as it did not come with one but I will look at rigging an old Dakine one I have as you suggested.
For training value, what wind range do you suggestfor the 2m? Is gusty 10-15 kts to light or erratic?  How about for body dragging, we have a large lake near by that is popular with sailing yet very un-crowded.

Again thanks, this forum and community is far better than the rest, as everyone really seams to be on the same crew.