How do you ride your Mako King - twin tip, mutant, strapless?

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Hello Mako King riders!
We’re currently evaluating foot strap options for future models of the Mako King. We’re interested to hear your feedback on how you use the King in terms of preferred stance.
If you ride mutant, do you switch feet after transitions or,...ride toe side / heel side?
If you ride mutant, do you ever ride backwards (tail first)?
From a design perspective, the King is a tricky board to match up with the ideal foot strap / pad design to meet every riders style.
Over the last few years we’re seeing a higher percentage using the King as a twin tip.

Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated!

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

When I rode one, I loved it Mutant, strapped, and generally did not switch feet. I may go back to it with a deck pad and ride strapless, but it was a nice learning tool for riding a strapless surfboard.

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2010-05-09

PM

Richard, I ride the king in the mutant setup and do not switch feet.  I think you nailed it by allowing the rider to choose to ride the board strapless, mutant, or as a twinny.  The versatility of the board allows riders to essentially get 3 completely different board setups out of a single kiteboard.  Bravo OR!!

-Wade.

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Thanks Wade and Ajones,..
I also ride the king mutant,...and don’t switch feet,..toe side, heel side. If my back leg tires I take few runs riding tail first to stretch out my leg. The King points upwind much higher tail first,...nice to get back up to the peak faster in “cruise” mode.
Right now the included pads and straps are geared for foot changing,..but I sense a set of twin tip style style pads and straps might be a better option as supplied with the standard Mako’s.
Great info,..much appreciated,...please keep it coming!

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2011-09-03

PM

FWIW I like my 150 mutant, but ride tail-first cos I can’t ride toe-side well in a seat harness.

Would love to try a King! I started riding a Dialer strapless and change feet when I gybe, but I got a lot of floatation to make the transition . . . can’t do that on my Mako :o

Total Posts: 94

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I ride it mutant mostly for its great surfing abilities. It will surf quite well in moderate to small waves. Strapless is also fun and I can jibe it just like a surfboard. I personally like to ride tail first when going out through the surf, I’m a regular foot ( right foot back when surfing), so my left is back while going out on starboard and that allows me to jump or quickly switch board around and do a fun 180 off the wave face. For light wind flat water it is great in the symmetrical twin tip setup. Very versatile board, I find my strap position holes just fine for my needs. I have the first year edition, Orange, and still going strong! I also have the OR deck pad on it.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

I ride it in twin tip mode. Am I the only one?

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I borrowed Sunrise’s King once which had the straps on in mutant style.  I did swap feet before/after each gybe, though never really tried extended toe-side riding with it.  Not sure what I’d do if I had my own.  Too many choices smile

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Most of my riding is in puget sound.
Gusty conditions and short period wind chop is the rule.
The King eats up this stuff in twin tip mode like no other board I’ve ever ridden.
No padding, just wax.
Its amazing…the feel through the hull and response to foot pressure is so precise.
Unfortunaltely, this is not the best set up for huge air and hot landings.
Foot beds mush the feel, but the cushioning during bang up jump and bump riding keeps my feet from getting bruised.
Thats how I use the King.
Waxed or with footbeds, in twin tip mode, with a surf fin on one end-goofy style.

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Great feedback,..thanks to all!
Craig,..nice to hear from you! Enjoy the wet cold SE this weekend!!

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

The pre-frontal winds were really up and down today,
with the King I could use a kite 2m smaller than everyone else and absorb those gusts with ease,
-and just rip upwind!
Off the wind the mako’s out perform any twin tip on the planet!
No one is gonna take my mako!

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-09-30

PM

Just sold my King. hard decision. Ride an underground 5’7” Freewave (aka Kipuna) 95% now. 140 Mako when I go twintip a couple times per year.
The King was my first board that really made me progress. It taught me to carve heel to toe, and back. It taught me to rode topside.

I rode the King for a whole year exclusively.
When I rode it it was twin tip with adjustable DaKine straps on top of the full deck pad probably 90%.

Awesome board for light wind big kites. But it’s long rail line may butter out of short period chop with small kites.

I rode it directional mutant a few times, but when I couldn’t foot change (due to the strap angles), I would resort to pulling my feet out and riding strapless tail first to gain ground back upwind. Yes I could ride toe side in the straps, but not as efficient, fast or at as a steep an upwind angle. So I’d ride a few tacks upwind, then S turn heel side/toe side back.

I tried it finless and strapless once. Not as easy as I had expected. It was light wind, 13m kite.
I have a Naish Alaia that I play around on in light wind smooth water instead.

Never thought about putting regular pads and straps on it until it was too late.
I suspect that it would be even cushier in chop. My wife felt she couldn’t get it on edge very well (her heel was too far inboard and away from the rail, thus a leverage problem for her smaller foot), and perhaps regular pads may have enhanced her leverage.

A windsurfer friend had his best success on this board over other twin tips, and loved it’s “surfy” feel.

That’s all I got guys.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-09-30

PM

Just sold my King. hard decision. Ride an underground 5’7” Freewave (aka Kipuna) hybrids surfboard 95% now. 140 Mako when I go twintip a couple times per year.
The King was my first board that really made me progress. It taught me to carve heel to toe, and back. It taught me to rode topside.

I rode the King for a whole year exclusively.
When I rode it it was twin tip with adjustable DaKine straps on top of the full deck pad probably 90%.

Awesome board for light wind big kites. But it’s long rail line may butter out of short period chop with small kites.

I rode it directional mutant a few times, but when I couldn’t foot change (due to the strap angles), I would resort to pulling my feet out and riding strapless tail first to gain ground back upwind. Yes I could ride toe side in the straps, but not as efficient, fast or at as a steep an upwind angle. So I’d ride a few tacks upwind, then S turn heel side/toe side back.

I tried it finless and strapless once. Not as easy as I had expected. It was light wind, 13m kite.
I have a Naish Alaia that I play around on in light wind smooth water instead.

Never thought about putting regular pads and straps on it until it was too late.
I suspect that it would be even cushier in chop. My wife felt she couldn’t get it on edge very well (her heel was too far inboard and away from the rail, thus a leverage problem for her smaller foot), and perhaps regular pads may have enhanced her leverage.

A windsurfer friend had his best success on this board over other twin tips, and loved it’s “surfy” feel.

That’s all I got guys.

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

After a few years on the king this is where I am at.
I am in a gusty wavy location
Light winds         twin tip . goes up wind better in this lay out.
Medium winds       Mutant gybing on each tack Normally have my rear foot in front of the rear strap unless powered or jumping.
Strong winds       Grab a small board and go fast.
I would like the mutant straps to be on the centre line to make the board symmetrical for gybing and the rear strap a little further forward.
As long as you don’t change the shape I am happy