questions on razor

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2013-07-12

PM

I tried my 10m for the first time yesterday, awesome kite, my 12m switchblade LE popped, it was 15-18knots with a strong current, so decided to try the razor with my surfboard.  Thats a fun kite!!! I wasn’t really going upwind, but i was holding my ground due to the current, a couple of times i had to walk.  loops like a dream, pulled great in the gusts, relaunches as quick as a wainman and has really good hang time for a c shaped kite. this kite is going to be awesome at 18+

questions working the kite in the lower wind range i was constantly sining, but i didnt have to sheet in and out like a bow kite due to its constant pull and smooth flight, i was just turning the bar.  I have never experienced this, is this cause of the venturi or is it cause its a “bridled c”

my other question is that i had a bar with a lot of throw on it, well if i let it go the kite would start to become unstable, whats a good amount of throw for the kite?

I really really want to try a 12m now, i tend to go towards more higher aspect 12m’s due to my weight and me hating larger kites…but the performance and feel of the 10m is awesome, could be like wainman’s though, the 9 flies perfect but the 12 doesnt really perform well and has something missing…

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi Jespin,
It looks like you’ve found & mastered the sweet spot of the Razor! I own a 10m 2012 and am as stoked since the first time I flew it. The fact that you’re not constantly sheeting in and out in the low end definitely comes from the venturis, that’s what they’re there for: to keep the air flowing neatly across the top canopy at larger angles of attack. You can sheet in much more without back stalling. This way the venturis help to create a great compromise between a medium AR quick turning kite with some benefits from high AR kites.

A good amount of throw - that’s hard to tell in cm as that will change with the wind conditions. I own the freeride bar with a km of throw and I find myself pushing the stopper way up on gusty days. Since you seem to know your way around the kite it shouldn’t be hard to trim right, and from then 60cm should be enough for most conditions. I like to set the stopper so that the kite keeps flying after I wipe out.

Can’t comment on the 12m, never flew it, surely someone else can help you here!
cheers,
Rudo

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2013-01-15

PM

Hi Jespin,

I have owned nearly every Wainman Rabbit Kite size and now have a lot of time on all sizes of Razors and Prodigy kites.

To be fair, the 9m Smoke is a pretty great kite in their line up, but like you found the Razor is going to be superior at smooth power delivery, looping, and a more aggressive jumper.  You will find the same when comparing the 12m Razor to the 12m Boss, it will be faster, loop better, jump better.  In both cases, they are 12m kites and will be slower than a 7,8,10, but I think that you will see that throughout the Razor lineup, the magic is there although we all have our favorites.

Feel free to give me a call at head office to ask more questions, 1-888-544-4969 ext 282.

At the current price of the remaining few 2013 Razors and Flites, you can’t go wrong at all.

Cheers,
Todd

Joined 2013-07-12

PM

thanks for the info, im not trying to sound cliche but the razor is something ive never experienced before, it does have that magic that the smoke has, but like you said, smoother and more hang time.

Even with that ridiculous current yesterday i felt the power of the kite

Joined 2013-07-12

PM

flew my 10m in 20-25 today, this kite just continually surprises me, I have never flown a C kite, so I’m not sure if its the C attributes or just the combination or the Razor’s magic but it is the perfect kite for me…i did get a 12 and it has as good low end as my old 12, so now i need an 8 in the future : )

anyways, some more questions usual jumps i land pretty good by just redirecting the kite with my front hand, however i am getting more aggressive with the kite and doing huge lofty jumps, however i overfly the kite and its over my head at the zenith too much to redirect it, i need to Heli loop it, I’ve never done this cause i had a forgiving kite that didn’t need it and want to get a general impression on how to do it on a razor

front hand? back hand? fish pole the bar? sheet in all the way on the way down and loop it, or fish pole the bar halfway down the depower rope and then sheet in right before landing????

if someone who is good with the huge jumps could educate me please, I got told i was a madman today, they laugh at me when i tell them the kite makes me do it, my abs are already sore

thanks!!!