Prodigy Or Flite…Light Wind Wave Kite?

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Hey, just wondering what people think would be the better light wind kite with a surfboard? My largest kite now is a 10m Razor, and some days when the wind is light, the waves are even nicer, not as blown out, and I’ve struggled with the 10m.
I’m thinking something for 10-15kts. I weigh 70kg.
Was looking at the 14m Prodigy vs a 15m Flite. I would like it to cover down to my 10m, I was thinking a 12m Prodigy might not cover as much wind for me as a larger kite, and I could make it work as the wind got close to strong enough for the 10m. Am I reaching to much on this one?
Thanks a lot for your help.
George

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2013-01-15

PM

If you are looking for low end grunt and to park the kite, go 14m Prodigy.  The Prodigy will have easier relaunch than the 2013 Flite. 
If you want a more active kite and a kite that sits further forward int eh window go with the 2013 15m Flite.  The 2013 Flite is going to resemble your Razor’s performance more than the Prodigy.

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Thanks Todd, I was looking mostly to just park it/let it drift, and surf. I won’t be jumping, doing any tricks.
I guess the only other concern would be if the 14m Prodigy is cumbersome at all in the turn, ie, would it be dipping in the water on a loop, compared to a Flite. The Flite looks to be built like a Razor, so I’m sure it turns quicker. Anyway, sounds like the Prodigy is closer to what I’m seeking. I’m assuming it’s a lighter kite also.
Thanks.
George

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2013-01-15

PM

80% of people kiting in the waves should be using a Prodigy versus the 2013 Flite.

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Yep…I’m in that 80%, I imagine! Thanks again. Hope you get some good wind and waves.
George

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2006-10-19

PM

Hey George,
I can highly recommend the new 2014 14.5 m Flite for light wind surfing.
I have the 10m razor, and have tried the 12 prodigy, but the new 14.5 is a magic kite- I believe it is a better choice than the 12 or 14 Prodigy for light wind wave kiting.  Lighter than last years Flite with 3 struts, very stable, drifts very very well, perfect for 12-18 knot days and bridges well to the 10m Razor- ie I don’t need a 12. I have ridden the prototype in a variety of conditions over the last few months, and it is THE kite for light wind down the line riding- park and drift in 13-16 knots with very little bar input needed was exceptionally fun.
I have had the kite out in 18-20 and it was excellent- though obviously a little too much power ( I am 85 kilos)
I was able to downloop no problem when trucking down the line at a point break.
Only dropped the kite a few times, but it relaunched better than my Razor.

ToesideT

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

The 10 RAZOR has a lot of bottom end. I’m pushing 200 lbs. & 15 knots is enough to sine & go. I’ve tried the 12 RAZOR & PRODIGY & didn’t find much more grunt in them. I’m looking forward to trying the new 14.5 FLITE to enjoy lighter winds again . Thanks for posting Toeside

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

ToesideT and jl, thanks. I guess Todd was comparing the 14m Prodigy to the older model Flite. And I do note that OR is not making a 14m Prodigy this year, so perhaps we are all on the same page.

I too notice I can make the 10m Razor work with my surfboard in pretty light wind and it has huge range for me on both ends. The new 14.5m Flite looks, and now sounds like it would do the trick. I usually make road trips to get to the ocean and have found on occasion the wind is light and the waves awesome, and I’ve had to just head home early, so this may be the ticket.

The only fly in the ointment are $, so from that perspective the older Flite/Prodigy looks appealing…sigh…haha.

Thanks a lot for your help.

George

Edit…I just looked at the new 14.5 Flite, and it looks like a Prodigy! The old Flite looked more like the Razor build…totally confused now.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I suspect the old FLITE was a hybrid of the RAZOR/RISE & the new FLITE a hybrid of the RAZOR/PRODIGY but weight reduced. It’s o.k. if it performs !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…